News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Elk rifle

Started by wvmntnhick, February 20, 2019, 04:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 24, 2019, 08:19:54 PM
I wanna know how this thread got 74 posts about elk guns without any pictures of dead elk

Every good thread needs pictures

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hold tight. Gotta find it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

wvmntnhick

This was the pack out. If you look just above and to the right of the small pine tree, you can barely make out the carcass. This was the first load. The guy helping me dress it out took about 150# on the first trip. He's a tank but it was his bull anyway so...
My first trip was around 80# or so. The guy holding the rack is the guy with the Browning HCS. Had to get in on the pic since they both missed cows seconds before that bull showed up. Successful hunter bought a 300 RUM (rem 700). I didn't shoot it but did pick it up. Too heavy for that kinda hunting. He actually swapped to his 700 VTR 308 during the last couple days much like I switched to my Rem M7 7mm-08 as the week went on. Found out our stuff was just too heavy for lugging the mountains.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 24, 2019, 08:22:10 PM

Now we're talking.. What state?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvmntnhick

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 24, 2019, 08:39:28 PM

Colorado second rifle. Guys bumped them from one unit to the unit we were in. When guys from our unit dropped into the next, they ran right down the gulley into the shooting gap. Guys had them dead to rights. I just don't understand how they missed the cows. But, after packing that thing out, I wasn't nearly as broken hearted as I'd started out to be. First trip at 80#. Second around 70#. I was whipped. Having back surgery right before the trip left me out of shape. I was hurting.

Tom Foolery

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Britton40

TauntoHawk

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 24, 2019, 08:42:06 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 24, 2019, 08:39:28 PM

Colorado second rifle. Guys bumped them from one unit to the unit we were in. When guys from our unit dropped into the next, they ran right down the gulley into the shooting gap. Guys had them dead to rights. I just don't understand how they missed the cows. But, after packing that thing out, I wasn't nearly as broken hearted as I'd started out to be. First trip at 80#. Second around 70#. I was whipped. Having back surgery right before the trip left me out of shape. I was hurting.

The phrase "the work doesn't start until the bull is on the ground" is a real thing. Thats for sure

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

Here's a few Idaho bulls even have rifles in the pics for thread relevance. A turkey feather my wife painted to commemorate the trip, meat pole we came back for the haul out the next day, and the finished mount of the bull in the first picture.

Sir-diealot

All great pictures, you wife is a talented painter, you should be proud of her.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wvmntnhick

Wonderful pics TH.

NC pine chicken

Here's my logic on choosing new caliber guns, I own a .300WM my dad the WSM. Both are absolutely nasty when it coming to killing things. I was choosing rifles a few years ago for a elk hunt, I'd never owned anything in.30 cal before, I wanted one for the hunt. I settled on a .300WM for the simple fact that it was .30 and you can get 150-200gr bullets at just about any mom and pop store anywhere in the country. If something happened, it'd be easy to find bullets for, vs. some oddball that 25 folks shoot. My pops WSM is accurate, shoots 3-4 different bullets very well. Both are solid choices. The WM gets the nod from me.

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

wvmntnhick

Quote from: NC pine chicken on February 25, 2019, 06:22:46 AM
Here's my logic on choosing new caliber guns, I own a .300WM my dad the WSM. Both are absolutely nasty when it coming to killing things. I was choosing rifles a few years ago for a elk hunt, I'd never owned anything in.30 cal before, I wanted one for the hunt. I settled on a .300WM for the simple fact that it was .30 and you can get 150-200gr bullets at just about any mom and pop store anywhere in the country. If something happened, it'd be easy to find bullets for, vs. some oddball that 25 folks shoot. My pops WSM is accurate, shoots 3-4 different bullets very well. Both are solid choices. The WM gets the nod from me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Win Mag. I've had a couple. Never killed anything but paper with them but it's certainly a solid cartridge. My buddies dad hunted with a 300 Weatherby until either the stock warped or the barrel gave way (can't recall) but has hunted with the 300 WM ever since. Says he's more than satisfied.