OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Elk rifle

Started by wvmntnhick, February 20, 2019, 04:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 21, 2019, 05:43:24 AM
When a new round comes out they still compare it to the old 06.

Very true statement,  would say it is America's caliber.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Quote from: Bowguy on February 21, 2019, 06:21:32 AM
Let's think this through. The 30-06 is a great 55 gr varmint gun yea? If so when these new tiny varmint calibers came out did they compare it to the "great 06"? When the .223 super short came out did they compare that? That's kinda my point. Apples to apples the 30-06 is a good mid range cartridge. It's a compromise on its ends. Leave it mid range where imo opinion it should be, is there any difference between that n a .270? Almost the same cartridge. Look at ballistics on lots of mid range guns. They're all close and all good rounds including the 30-06. Like I said is it "best" on varmints? Better than a 22-250? Faster than a .220 swift? Less damaging than say a .17?
Let's go up, is it better than say a .300 w 180 grain bullet? More authoritive than a .338 or .375?
Not apples to apples though and not 30-06 strong points. That's all I'm saying.

Look at the ballistic of the 270 to the 30-06 and there are differences that stand out.  .300 wastes a lot of powder just like the 7 mag.  I have nothing against anyone using what they want but the truth is most use a big caliber like that thinking it will make up for bad shooting and the recoil of them makes their shooting even worse.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gooserbat

Tika light stainless in either 300 win or 7 mm mag.  You can easily find ammo!!!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tom Foolery

Let's think this through. The 30-06 is a great 55 gr varmint gun yea? If so when these new tiny varmint calibers came out did they compare it to the "great 06"? When the .223 super short came out did they compare that? That's kinda my point. Apples to apples the 30-06 is a good mid range cartridge. It's a compromise on its ends. Leave it mid range where imo opinion it should be, is there any difference between that n a .270? Almost the same cartridge. Look at ballistics on lots of mid range guns. They're all close and all good rounds including the 30-06. Like I said is it "best" on varmints? Better than a 22-250? Faster than a .220 swift? Less damaging than say a .17?
Let's go up, is it better than say a .300 w 180 grain bullet? More authoritive than a .338 or .375?

Why would you change all the bullet weights?   A 180 partition, accubond or ballistic tip would cover pretty much everything.   I killed a 20lb bobcat with a 180 partition from a 30/06 @ 25yds and the exit was about the size of a quarter. That same bullet would handle moose, bears or anything else.   

You could say the same thing about a 300WM.  Chamberings are more alike than different in killing power .  It matters more where you hit them than what you hit them with. 

I've shot the 300win a lot and it does a good job but I've not seen it do things anything else wouldn't have done.  A friend took one elk hunting and lost a good bull due to a shot that was a little far back.  All that horsepower didn't make up for poor shooting.  Had he had less recoil and more range time maybe he doesn't make a poor shot. 

Carrying a 10lb 4' long rifle that burns 70grs of powder for my style of hunting makes no sense.  All my shots are within 400yds and nothing weighs over 300lbs, we will run into the occasional hog.  Even if I went after elk I don't know if I'd take one of my magnums. 

Phil Shoemaker carried a 30/06 with 200gr of 220gr Partitions as a grizzly guide for years before he stepped up to the 458 win mag. 

tracker#1

I'm partial to 30-06 because of it's versatility, load up or down. Used one for a Elk hunt out west once and dropped a moose in Newfoundland at 275 yards using Barnes 180gr TTSX BT. Nosler has new load BT 125gr for deer that I will be using next season. I put muzzle breaks on my magnum guns. It turned a Win model 70 338 into a " cat".

Bowguy

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 21, 2019, 08:17:12 AM

Why would you change all the bullet weights?   A 180 partition, accubond or ballistic tip would cover pretty much everything.   I killed a 20lb bobcat with a 180 partition from a 30/06 @ 25yds and the exit was about the size of a quarter. That same bullet would handle moose, bears or anything else.   

You could say the same thing about a 300WM.  Chamberings are more alike than different in killing power .  It matters more where you hit them than what you hit them with. 

I've shot the 300win a lot and it does a good job but I've not seen it do things anything else wouldn't have done.  A friend took one elk hunting and lost a good bull due to a shot that was a little far back.  All that horsepower didn't make up for poor shooting.  Had he had less recoil and more range time maybe he doesn't make a poor shot. 

Carrying a 10lb 4' long rifle that burns 70grs of powder for my style of hunting makes no sense.  All my shots are within 400yds and nothing weighs over 300lbs, we will run into the occasional hog.  Even if I went after elk I don't know if I'd take one of my magnums. 

Phil Shoemaker carried a 30/06 with 200gr of 220gr Partitions as a grizzly guide for years before he stepped up to the 458 win mag.
Let's talk extremes, would you do beaver control work w it, take a kid to shoot squirrels? Like I said it's got plenty of options, not knocking the caliber that'd be silly but it's not a do it all w/0 compromise.
You make a good point about bullets than you contradict yourself. It doesn't matter only where you hit em. If you use a thin jacketed poly tipped bullet it'll be much more violent expansion no matter how you hit em plus now you're thinking a straight broadside shot through the ribs or the shot is passed w a rifle??
The accubond I'll be honest, not noslers best in my testing in my guns.
A Sierr@  game king blows em away accuracy wise. They expand perfectly on deer, I'm not sure bout elk but it's what I'd bring. Sierr@  have an awful lot more accuracy awards too.
I'll agree the bigger magnums make no sense if you count powder money wise  but look at how many fellows here spend $50 bucks for 5 shells to shoot through a turkey at 25 yards.
Guys this is no 30-06 bash so don't think it is. The round  has more than proven itself.
Why though did the bear guide go up to a bigger caliber? Cause he felt it was better.
You're point about your style of hunting making no sense is on the money n that's what I said earlier. The round/gun isn't what works or is perfect for you, I or the guy next door. It's whats perfect for the op.
Your absolutely right you still gotta shoot straight. A bad shot is a bad shot that's a fact. Another point to add to that and it's against the 300 win mag, lots of guys don't like shooting it and because of that it's absolutely a bad choice there.
Every gun will have certain limitations or restrictions of sorts. If you notice you're agreeing with what I said. Weight, recoil, game, head, etc etc all must be considered. Here's another one. What about the overall fitness of the hunter? A healthy, strong young man may not worry about ten pounds, his young 80 pound daughter would right? On the very same hunt for the very same game 2 totally dif guns might side by side and  be the "best." One size does not fit all nor is one caliber the best for everything w everybody. If you think so God bless ya, that's you're right too

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Bowguy on February 21, 2019, 10:02:09 AM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 21, 2019, 08:17:12 AM

Let's talk extremes, would you do beaver control work w it, take a kid to shoot squirrels? Like I said it's got plenty of options, not knocking the caliber that'd be silly but it's not a do it all w/0 compromise.
You make a good point about bullets than you contradict yourself. It doesn't matter only where you hit em. If you use a thin jacketed poly tipped bullet it'll be much more violent expansion no matter how you hit em plus now you're thinking a straight broadside shot through the ribs or the shot is passed w a rifle??
The accubond I'll be honest, not noslers best in my testing in my guns.
A Sierr@  game king blows em away accuracy wise. They expand perfectly on deer, I'm not sure bout elk but it's what I'd bring. Sierr@  have an awful lot more accuracy awards too.
I'll agree the bigger magnums make no sense if you count powder money wise  but look at how many fellows here spend $50 bucks for 5 shells to shoot through a turkey at 25 yards.
Guys this is no 30-06 bash so don't think it is. The round  has more than proven itself.
Why though did the bear guide go up to a bigger caliber? Cause he felt it was better.
You're point about your style of hunting making no sense is on the money n that's what I said earlier. The round/gun isn't what works or is perfect for you, I or the guy next door. It's whats perfect for the op.
Your absolutely right you still gotta shoot straight. A bad shot is a bad shot that's a fact. Another point to add to that and it's against the 300 win mag, lots of guys don't like shooting it and because of that it's absolutely a bad choice there.
Every gun will have certain limitations or restrictions of sorts. If you notice you're agreeing with what I said. Weight, recoil, game, head, etc etc all must be considered. Here's another one. What about the overall fitness of the hunter? A healthy, strong young man may not worry about ten pounds, his young 80 pound daughter would right? On the very same hunt for the very same game 2 totally dif guns might side by side and  be the "best." One size does not fit all nor is one caliber the best for everything w everybody. If you think so God bless ya, that's you're right too

Would I shoot beaver with a 30/06, yes.  Would I shoot squirrels, it's illegal in TN and what does that have to do with anything?   Lol.  You come up with some weird crap I'll give you that.  You started the 30-06 on varmints with 55gr Bullets.  My response was simply why change bullets?   If you're saving fur you're probably not hunting with a 30-06 anyways.

He did go to a bigger caliber, the 30-06 and the 300 win are the same caliber, they're both .30 cals.  They are different chamberings though.

The .30 cal and .458 cal are very different.  Why didn't he go to a 300win, well there's not much gain and they're the same caliber. 

I did not contradict myself.  I said chamberings are more alike than different, and they are.  I also said put a good bullet through the vitals at any angle and they're dead. Put a good bullet out of the vitals and you've invited yourself to a rodeo.   I never said anything about a thin jacketed bullet, you did for some reason.  I said GOOD bullet, stoutly constructed, good weight retention, you know.....a good bullet. 

So to simplify it for you take a chambering of your choice, put a good bullet in it, shoot them where you're supposed to and stuff dies. 

So far you're the only person that has brought varmints, squirrels, TSS and other randomness into this thread.  No one has said one chambering is the best at everything.  You keep trying to prove the 30/06 isn't the best gun for gnats, doves, dinosaurs and helicopters but it does work for most other things, just like a whole bunch of other chamberings would, 308, 708, 270, 7RM, 300WM, etc etc etc. 

Tom Foolery

As for limitations, everything has them.  I'm less capable than all my rifles, that's why my limitation on game is 400yds.  Everything I have will work farther than that, I'm the limiting factor in regards to reading the wind, location of an animal, etc etc. 

owlhoot

7 mag is what I would say for elk 160 grains
Look at your Nosler book and see the loads in top of page for 140 and 154 bullets for deer which have velocity of 280 Remington and 7mm-08 Remington . Perfect

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 21, 2019, 10:42:45 AM
As for limitations, everything has them.  I'm less capable than all my rifles, that's why my limitation on game is 400yds.  Everything I have will work farther than that, I'm the limiting factor in regards to reading the wind, location of an animal, etc etc.
Here in really is the issue for many. I've shot enough at longer ranges (500-600) yards to know what a couple of my guns are doing. Shot one deer few years ago at 663 with the 308. Several in that 300-500 range. Elk however, are a different critter. They don't die as easily. Surprised me how much thicker the skin was. And the bone! Wow! Having said that, and knowing that the guns with sentimental value never leave home, think I'm gonna cull the herd a bit more and get rid of the guns that are used occasionally and replace them with 2 guns that'll be used a lot. Pretty sure I'm leaning towards the 270 wsm and one of the 300's at this point. 270 probably in the Browning. 300 could go either way. Tikka uses a long action for everything. The standard size mag box will give me some extra room for seating depth. Keep kinda talking myself outta the 7RM even tho I like them over the 30's. Just with already having the 7-08 and STW, 7RM seems redundant. But, within 300 yards, most centerfire cartridges are anyway. Thanks to those that have responded and remained on topic. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on February 21, 2019, 10:58:08 AM
Look at your Nosler book and see the loads in top of page for 140 and 154 bullets for deer which have velocity of 280 Remington and 7mm-08 Remington . Perfect
Funny. I just got done explaining why I wanted to stay away from the 7RM based on what's already in the stable. I believe the 7's are more versatile. And, it would make things easier in terms of reloading cuz I've already got a plethora of bullets. But, have a pile of 30's too. Think I'll flip a coin on the magnum side. Lol

Tom Foolery

The STW is a neat round has never gotten a good hold.  I've seen a grand total of one.  The guys that shoot them have high praise for it. 

Anyway, good luck, I hope you kill heap'm big wapiti.   

owlhoot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 21, 2019, 11:04:26 AM
Funny. I just got done explaining why I wanted to stay away from the 7RM based on what's already in the stable. I believe the 7's are more versatile. And, it would make things easier in terms of reloading cuz I've already got a plethora of bullets. But, have a pile of 30's too. Think I'll flip a coin on the magnum side. Lol

Funny yep
I didn't read the whole thread
Just the jibber jabber of the ole 06 and the 270. And some thing about squirrels
And your first post LOL

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 21, 2019, 11:33:33 AM
The STW is a neat round has never gotten a good hold.  I've seen a grand total of one.  The guys that shoot them have high praise for it. 

Anyway, good luck, I hope you kill heap'm big wapiti.
NM is just a cow hunt so no big deal there. It'll be exciting just killing one but not as exciting as chasing a big bull. Having said that, STW will be with me on that hunt because I really wanna see the difference in performance on elk vs deer. I'll never shoot another deer with it. Too harsh. Takes stuff from the back side and moves it to the front side. Makes an awkward soup inside the cavity that's no fun to deal with. So, it's for elk and longer range stuff. Although, I did step up to a 160 federal TBT and would like to see how it differs from the previous bullet that killed the deer in question.

And, just spoke to the LGS. Looks like Tikka T3 Lite in 270 wsm and Browning Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WM. Getting rid of 3-4 more rifles. Just don't need all the clutter anymore. It's nice to look into the safe and see exactly what I'm looking for instead of having to dig for it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on February 21, 2019, 11:41:02 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 21, 2019, 11:04:26 AM

Funny yep
I didn't read the whole thread
Just the jibber jabber of the ole 06 and the 270. And some thing about squirrels
And your first post LOL
No worries man. This got a little more response than I'd anticipated.