OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Granddaddy's Gun

Started by PEPPERHEAD, February 20, 2019, 02:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEPPERHEAD

This time of year I like to reflect back on past hunts. This will always be my favorite. I grew up lugging this beast through the woods as a kid. It's a Central Arms SXS 12 gauge. It didn't seem to kick as bad back then. It's in pretty bad condition. I decided to hunt with it one last time. This was the only time I had taken it turkey hunting. Well as you can see the old girl can still get it done. She is now resting comfortably in the safe. 

PEPPERHEAD

Swather

Do you expect people to believe that you killed two turkeys with an old double barrel shotgun in standard finish, no camo from butt to muzzle, no optics, and no $6 plus per shot ammo?

;) ;D

PEPPERHEAD

HAHA. I know it's hard to believe. One of the most difficult things was finding ammo that I felt comfortable shooting. I didn't want anything too hot.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

That's pretty cool. Granddaddys gun is a cool song too.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

surehuntsalot

cool looking shotgun
just proves that you can still kill a turkey "old school" without all the latest high dollar gadgets and ammo
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Divenut2

Quote from: Swather on February 20, 2019, 02:51:35 PM
Do you expect people to believe that you killed two turkeys with an old double barrel shotgun in standard finish, no camo from butt to muzzle, no optics, and no $6 plus per shot ammo?

;) ;D

:fud:  Good one! Funny how that works.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

bbcoach

Congrats.  Lovely gun and even better memories.  Don't put that gun away!!  Take her with you from time to time and enjoy the TIME with your Grandfather.  He'll ALWAYS be with you when that double barrel is with you.  I miss the time I spent with my Grandfather.  He taught me the in's and out's of catching rainbows, browns and brookies.

wvmntnhick

Cool gun/pic/story man. Wish I had my grandfathers old A5. If I did, it's the only shotgun I'd ever use the rest of my days. Always loved when he pulled that thing out when we went turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Very nice. Congrats.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

TRG3

I'm in my mid-70s and a couple of years ago I took my grandfather's 12 gauge Model 12 nickel steel pump loaded with 2 3/4" heavy loads #6 shot. At 20 yards, the gobbler didn't stand a chance.

crow

Great job getting it done with your Grand pops gun

I agree with not putting it away, keep on using it.

Gobbler2577

That's great.  My grandad kept an old Steven's SxS in the dairy.  It was the first double I ever remember seeing.  When he died an uncle claimed it then sold it soon after.  I've always wished I had that gun. 

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk