News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for a new box call

Started by low2497, February 19, 2019, 12:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: low2497 on February 19, 2019, 10:27:01 AM
May end up doing the right thing and just picking up both the Rolling Thunder and the Spring Creek! Can't beat the price of the Spring Creek calls
No u can't. And might wanna get one of his scratch boxes too. Can thank me later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoebuck

I have the Halloran Purple Heart and Cedar and have been very happy with it, I would like to get his New Ebony and Walnut.  Dave

Big Jeremy

I, too, will vouch for Mike at Spring Creek Calls. I've got a short box and a scratch box...those things are idiot proof, and just sound right, period.

The others listed always get good reviews as well, and I've run a couple of them. Spring Creek is awesome, though, and can't beat the price.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gog1015 on February 19, 2019, 11:54:01 AM
TJ Johnson and Marlin Watkins list

This right here. Does not matter the combo , they are all turket and look very nice.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

762hunter

I picked up a box call from Rolling Thunder last year and man oh man that thing has a sweet sound.

They are Tn boys so that was a bonus!

if you go with the Rolling Thunder let me know what you think.

Chordeiles

Another vote for Spring Creek. Mike is a great guy to deal with and you can't beat his prices. I have a couple of his short boxes, my favorite is blood wood/red cedar.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Chordeiles on February 19, 2019, 04:14:18 PM
Another vote for Spring Creek. Mike is a great guy to deal with and you can't beat his prices. I have a couple of his short boxes, my favorite is blood wood/red cedar.
Same combo I've got. It sings.

Chordeiles

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 19, 2019, 04:15:56 PM
Quote from: Chordeiles on February 19, 2019, 04:14:18 PM
Same combo I've got. It sings.

Yes it do.
:icon_thumright:

sbbow

Jeff White or spring creek your not breaking the bank on these.

Swather

Quote from: low2497 on February 19, 2019, 12:58:25 AM
Im looking to pick up a quality box call for this coming season. I've been trying to decide between the Halloran Purple Heart/Cedar or the Rolling Thunder Game Calls Undercut Box Call. There are videos of both of these calls on Youtube and they both sound sweet.

Anyone who has had experience with either of these calls care to chime in?

1.  There is a turkey call sub-forum on here frequented by call makers. 

2.  In what state are you located?

A good way to buy calls is to visit a custom maker.  Run the calls and then have them run the calls for you while you listen at a distance.  For instance, if one were in the northern half of Georgia or within 3 hours of N. GA (Canton), a drive to Lonnie Mabry's shop would be in order.

3.  Bill Baublitt on this forum makes some of the most aesthetically pleasing calls you will see at good prices.  There is a number of others I cannot name at this moment as well.  I can squeeze in Tim Bullock.

4.  As to makers outside this forum, Jerry down at Dad's Custom Calls in Hazlehurst, GA makes excellent calls with a purple lid, like purple over cedar or holly.

https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/box-calls/254-dad-s-cedar-purpleheart-box-call.html

tomstopper

Quote from: zelmo1 on February 19, 2019, 09:29:07 AM
Don't have either of those box calls. I do however have 2 Spring Creek box calls and will never need any more. Long box and short box are both awesome. I also have 2 scratch boxes I like very much. Maybe give them a look. Just my  :z-twocents:
Yep. Love mine. Great guy too.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

low2497

I think I have decided on picking up a call from Mike at Spring Creek. Now I just have to decide on a wood combination...

Im thinking either Bloodwood/Black Walnut or Yellowheart/Black Limba

Bowguy

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 19, 2019, 09:20:47 AM
Hallorans boxes are very user friendly with the heavy lids i really like my purpleheart/Cedar, SS Customs are great too for an exceptional price on his field grade, Farley is another good recommendation. you can certainly spend a lot more but you don't have to either to kill a bunch of birds if you'd like to keep it to a certain budget
This right here

wvmntnhick

Quote from: sbbow on February 19, 2019, 05:37:35 PM
Jeff White or spring creek your not breaking the bank on these.

Crap! I said Josh Farley earlier. Totally meant Jeff White! Apologies Jeff. That's the most recent box I'd gotten and it's a sweet sounding box. Can't recall the wood combo but it's all turkey. Jeff produces an amazing box. SS, spring creek and Jeff White. No particular order. All 3 are amazing.

bbcoach

I've got the bloodwood over black walnut and she sings.