turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not turkeys but...

Started by wvmntnhick, February 18, 2019, 07:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

That's something I haven't done in years that I need to do. Good stuff.

Sir-diealot

Great pictures and glad you got your dog back. Never hunted squirrel with dogs before, fox, coyote and coon but never squirrel. Love a good squirrel stew.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Spurs on February 18, 2019, 07:42:38 PM
Had this girl for 11 this October.  Busted a bunch of bushy tails with this ole gal.

That's a day right there man. He'd not know how to act in squirrels that thick. Lol

Mostly small parcels of land here unless I get to run public. Don't typically get time to go that far these days tho. Keep it closer to home so it doesn't monopolize my time so much that I miss out on stuff with the girls. That's why I enjoy taking them along these days. Would love to get into thick squirrels like that tho. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cphill

I got a pair of them squirrel dogs myself...I enjoy running these dogs about as much as anything

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

Good  looking dog ,, looks like u got mess of squirrels,,,Thats great way get the youngsters into hunting 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Deputy 14

Nothing like a good squirrel dog. I'm needing to get one since my kids are big enough to go now.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: M,Yingling on February 18, 2019, 08:30:06 PM
Good  looking dog ,, looks like u got mess of squirrels,,,Thats great way get the youngsters into hunting
Thank u sir

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Deputy 14 on February 18, 2019, 08:49:58 PM
Nothing like a good squirrel dog. I'm needing to get one since my kids are big enough to go now.
Let me know man. If you don't mind a bit of traveling, I can hook you up with a guy that, I'm my opinion, produces the best dogs this side of the big river. Have yet to see s bad pup come off the property. If it doesn't hunt, it's the fault of the owner. And most just do it naturally. These dogs are bred properly.

coyote1

A ton of fun right there.You can't beat a good day of squirrel hunting. Good to see you got your dog back.

I'm going to chase some bushy tails this weekend. How do you train a dog for squirrel hunting? I have a Labrador/ German shorthair mix with a ton of energy.

tomstopper

wvmntnhick

Quote from: coyote1 on February 18, 2019, 11:19:58 PM
A ton of fun right there.You can't beat a good day of squirrel hunting. Good to see you got your dog back.

I'm going to chase some bushy tails this weekend. How do you train a dog for squirrel hunting? I have a Labrador/ German shorthair mix with a ton of energy.
Not saying your dog can't because some labs do. And some guys will breed bird dog into the line (rarely admit it) to increase the nose strength but you'd be better off getting a breed known for treeing. How old is your dog?

coyote1

He is 7 but acts like a 2 year old. He will occasionally point a bird and is a duck retrieving machine. Probably too old to start him on squirells, I guess I was thinking out loud.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: coyote1 on February 19, 2019, 01:42:51 PM
He is 7 but acts like a 2 year old. He will occasionally point a bird and is a duck retrieving machine. Probably too old to start him on squirells, I guess I was thinking out loud.
If he's already 7, I'd say start over. Get a good pup that's bred right and your job will be a lot easier. Seriously, they're just born with it. You'll need 2 pairs of boots though. Once the first pair is worn out, your dog should be doing what you want. You'll log plenty of miles while that pup gets started. But, once the light comes on and it turns the corner, it's all worth it. I've been fortunate though. Mine were all self starters and took very little work as far as training is concerned. Gotta keep them in the woods but I don't bother showing them easy/dead squirrels. And you're gonna have days when they're all over the place. You'll ask why he/she isn't treeing. They just gotta figure it out on their own. Koal took a bit longer than my old pup but he's doing very well at the moment and improves every time. Yesterday I watched one come down a tree and disappear. My buddy asked why I didn't shoot it. Wanted the dog to find it. Ran past us, hit the track and went straight to the tree. We let the young boy (guys son) with us shoot it. It's cool watching the dog work it out. I'd rather kill 3 with the dog than 6 without him.

Dr Juice

RutnNStrutn

Glad you got the pup back. Love to see the young un's getting in on the act!! :icon_thumright: