OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Thermacell?

Started by Sir-diealot, February 17, 2019, 10:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I want to pick up a Thermacell before turkey season starts but really don't know much about them. Most of my hunting is done in a ground blind though I am going to try some ground hunting this year as well.

Also I walk a lot on the trails around here normally with a Camelbak on and want one that would work for that as well. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

coyote1

The Mr 150 or Mr 300 with a holster. Can clip on a belt, back pack or chair in a blind.

I had to look them up, when I bought mine there was only one kind. The Mr 150 is the one I have now. The Mr 300 is similar to the old style before the 150. Either one will work.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: coyote1 on February 17, 2019, 11:22:31 PM
The Mr 150 or Mr 300 with a holster. Can clip on a belt, back pack or chair in a blind.

I had to look them up, when I bought mine there was only one kind. The Mr 150 is the one I have now. The Mr 300 is similar to the old style before the 150. Either one will work.
Thank you, they are much cheaper than they used to be.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

coyote1

You are welcome. Unfortunately they are made cheaper too. The first one I ever bought was made a little better imo but I lost it on an early season teal hunt a few years ago. They still hold up, my current one is 3 years old and still works great.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: coyote1 on February 17, 2019, 11:30:53 PM
You are welcome. Unfortunately they are made cheaper too. The first one I ever bought was made a little better imo but I lost it on an early season teal hunt a few years ago. They still hold up, my current one is 3 years old and still works great.
What do I need to get to run them the entire turkey season? (May 1-31) I really don't know much about them, they were so expensive at one time I paid no attention to them. I have seen friends with them but have never seen them turn them on or anything. Oh would be nice for them to work fishing too.

John Koenig:

coyote1

You need the butane/ mats refill pack. I like the value pack. I approximately 3-4 hours per mat and 10-12 hours per butane cartridge.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: coyote1 on February 18, 2019, 12:08:26 AM
You need the butane/ mats refill pack. I like the value pack. I approximately 3-4 hours per mat and 10-12 hours per butane cartridge.
Thank you, I was looking at the all season pack but that is just not going to happen, money is to tight trying to get a vehicle on the road. Still need to replace my gloves last year and one or two other minor things. I will pick up the cheaper model this coming up and then add a few more things in April and the beginning of May. Still have to treat my clothes to keep the ticks away too.

John Koenig:

LaLongbeard

Any model of the thermocell will work fine, don't drop it or sit on it and it will last. There are several YouTube videos of how to refill the butane bottles yourself for like 10 cents  each which will save you money.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

sasquatch1

Get the Chinese ARS mats off eBay for a whole lot cheaper and google how to remove the check valve in the butane bottles, then you can refill them with a can of butane and save a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 18, 2019, 12:44:40 AM
Any model of the thermocell will work fine, don't drop it or sit on it and it will last. There are several YouTube videos of how to refill the butane bottles yourself for like 10 cents  each which will save you money.
Thank you for that input, I will check those out later today after I wake up.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 18, 2019, 12:44:57 AM
Get the Chinese ARS mats off eBay for a whole lot cheaper and google how to remove the check valve in the butane bottles, then you can refill them with a can of butane and save a lot of money

Do the Chinese ARS mats work as well?

John Koenig:

sasquatch1

Yes they work exactly the same, I hunt south Louisiana swaps that are infested with mosquitos, I assure you they work the same

Since they smaller I just got 2 of them in the thermacell at a time, prob un needed tho!

The reg pads cost prob $1 a piece at least, these ARS mats probably 10cent I think

Just turn your thermocell on about 10min early to let it warm up, if not the mosquitos may get you for the first 5-10 minutes before it heats up and starts working

Just google ARS MAT and you'll see them come up, some have "raid" on them, they all the same. Just look at how many pieces vs price and free shipping to get the best deal

appalachianstruttstopper

Be careful using it inside your blind. When I use one in a blind I place it out on the ground in front of the window outside. Mosquitos hate those things. Wish it worked for ticks.

captpete

I found that they do not work that well when moving. Also try to place it so it is upwind of you...this will blow the repelent to you.

SteelerFan

The holster comes in handy to carry a spare cartridge and pads, too.

Thermacell Mosquito Repeller Holster, Olive, MR-HJ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q2FH7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ywPACbVAGCQGJ