OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Should I go 20ga or .410?

Started by valerio024, February 15, 2019, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zilla

Dead is dead! Inside of forty yards the 410 with TSS kills them just as dead as the 20 gauge. 410 saves me on TSS versus the 20. Just my thoughts.

Bowguy

Here's my thoughts. A 20 is the obvious choice for so many obvious reasons if you have one or two guns. Some not so obvious too.( Like many states don't allow .410s or real tiny shot )If you've got a bunch and just want an extra a .410 and it's legal where you hunt it would be cool though.

SteelerFan

Andy S.

Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Boykin Hollow

joeturkey

Here's my first eastern with my cva 410 ga Hunter with a som toy choke with apex  9.5 @ 37 yds.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: joeturkey on February 15, 2019, 08:03:05 PM
Here's my first eastern with my cva 410 ga Hunter with a som toy choke with apex  9.5 @ 37 yds.

Awesome , when you talk about a 410 , people think that you are under gunned. They do not realise how effective that little gun is with tss.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Kylongspur88

I think if your just looking to have some fun the .410  would be a fun challenge assuming it's legal for you. The 20 will give you more versatility in ammo selection.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I would go with the 20 ga.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 15, 2019, 08:12:26 PM
Quote from: joeturkey on February 15, 2019, 08:03:05 PM

Awesome , when you talk about a 410 , people think that you are under gunned. They do not realise how effective that little gun is with tss.

Technology has allowed smaller chambering to do what larger ones used to do when it was considered good.  If you got 130-140 with 3.5" lead 6's you had a turkey crusher.  The gun weighed 8.5lbs and kicked like hell but that was the pattern.   Now a 3lb 410 can do that with TSS and no real recoil.

Buckman18

I got the 12 gauge, and my dad tapped and drilled in for a scope, and made me a rail. I've just got to paint it.

After he did all that work, we learned they come out with one that already had al that stuff done!  :toothy12: so I got one of those also. Just for the heck of it, I'll probably get the 20 also...

appalachianstruttstopper

20 gauge is deadly out to 40 with lead 6's with a little homework. Good shell and choke combination and it's a turkey killing machine. Call em in close and pepper that noggin! If you want a .410 to kill turkeys cause you want to use one, then by all means get what you want. I would personally go with a 20, but that's me.

Jrkimbrough

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 15, 2019, 04:26:12 PM
Quote from: CALLM2U on February 15, 2019, 04:06:43 PM
Quote from: SinGin on February 15, 2019, 03:30:46 PM
I never understood why people want to shoot as little gauge or caliber as possible?  410 for turkeys and 223 for deer. I know they can be killed with them but we owe it to the animals to not take any chances when we are ending their lives. That being said, man up and go 20

The most ironic part is that people try to make others feel guilty for not shooting TSS because they "owe it" to the turkey to shoot the best/most lethal shot, then they shoot 410s. 

To the OP, if it's a dedicated turkey gun, as others have mentioned, I would go with the 20.  If you've got a 20 already, then go for the 410 for something different.

The ironic part is people who have absolutely no experiece with something puts in input without knowing much about the subject. Others trying to learn are mislead by advice that cannot be accurate without experience. I would never make someone feel guilty about what they shoot. I do not care what others shoot . I do have experience with tss over the last few years and its medicene on turkeys. I also know several people that went to a 410 for the challenge and believe me , it stomps birds as well as a 12 ga. Just not quiet as far.
Amen , either gun with TSS is fine 410 or 20 ga.. GREAT POST ....

Tom Threetoes

It looks like I'm in the minority here but if 8 oz. is a deal breaker maybe you should hire a gun bearer, or pick another hobby.