Biggest change in your hunting style

Started by zelmo1, February 13, 2019, 09:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

-Swapped to a 20 gauge
-learned when to and when not to call
-patience

MK M GOBL

When I started I carried a lot... I ditched the vest. Now I have a small hip pack from Badlands
I used to carry too many calls... Now I've learned which ones kill for me, my CODY World Class Slate and an old M.A.D. Glass
                                               and a half dozen mouth calls
I used to carry decoys... Still do but now there DSD's
I only carried a crow and owl for locating.... Now I carry a peacock and goose call too
Started out only as Run & Gun... Now I do use Blinds (Double Bulls) at times.
I started calling calling for others... I still do but do so much more with youth hunts, learn to hunts, bow hunts and newbies.
I started guiding for turkeys... Now I don't. I started this my 5th year of turkey hunting, I was having a lot of success and kind
                                            of fell in to it, did great, was fun but lacked what I enjoyed about turkey hunting, had a few bad
                                            experiences and figured out it is much better for me to call for who I want too, not by who I am
                                            paid to.                       
I started out by "learning" turkeys... I still am and has changed my hunts dramatically!
I used to shoot turkeys at longer ranges... I have learned how to set right for close kills, blind or not. I like 15yards and in 
                                            your face!

I didn't have binos to hunt with... Now my eyes are not as good, I have Swarovski's and now I can tell the calves aren't 
                                                 turkeys anymore before I make the hike LOL

Other things that I have added, a video camera (film almost all my hunts any more)

There's a lot more in all this, I have always keep a log of my turkey hunting experiences, successes and innovations! 
I guess to say I have been "lucky" with turkey hunting :)

MK M GOBL

longspur

For three years I've been hunting some birds that do not gobble ever as far as I know. Last year I spent 3 long weekends (3 days) and couple of 2 day weekends and never a gobble. I knew the birds were there and pretty much where they were. They seem to come to calling pretty good they just don't gobble. I can always get one or two but it is tough. Never know if he's coming when he's coming or which way he's coming from. Just have to try not to breathe or blink. At 61 it gets pretty painful. BUT!!! I can shoot them and nobody else around there can. Hehehehe.

sixbird

I guess my evolution has been from being mystified by turkeys to realizing that they're a lot like us. They respond to stimuli and react to each other much like we do. When you put yourself in a turkey's place and think about what you'd do if you were him, it makes success a lot more frequent...

fallhnt

Stopped wasting my time trying to bust Fall flocks. Set up and call 'em in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

notsure

Less stuff for sure. And a greater appreciation for the opportunity.

Gamblinman

With health and foot issues, its really put an end to run and gun for me. I spend more time scouting to determine where the turkeys want to be, and sitting up.

Where I might have spent 30 minutes and move on, I pretty much set up and hunt that spot for the whole morning or evening. I believe its paid off many times over.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

greencop01

As I get older, I'm slower, Stay longer in a place, wait for things to develop, cluck more, scratch leaves more. I also wait longer and do more calling blind (when no bird is located), just walk and calling now and then. When I do strike a bird , I walk toward it and set up and do some calling, let the bird come to me on his TIME, and not my time. And I don't get mad when things don't work out, he'll be there for another day. And I love to get them close and personal, we wait all year, why not enjoy the bird coming in, hunting for you.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

guesswho

I started in the 1960's slow and steady.  Now I'm slower and not quite as steady. 

Other than some changes in clothes and equipment I still hunt about the same way.   Always been a bit of minimalist.   Back in the day we couldn't afford to much, could barely afford to pay attention.  Now that I can afford a little more, I realize I don't need it. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cut N Run

Started runnin' & gunnin'...and I did way more of the runnin' than the gunnin' part.  I expect more turkeys saw me than I saw them.  Now, I find out where they like to be and I try to get there before them.

I went from a 12 gauge pump with factory full choke, to a single shot modified, to a semi auto extra full.  I don't really need that follow up shot, the extra weight helps soak up a bit of recoil. A Red dot helps tired eyes.

Went from Federal 3" #4s, to 3" Winchester plated #6s, to 3" Hevi #6s or #7s.  I've always liked shooting a big cloud of angry shot.  I don't reload, or I'd already be on the TSS wagon myself.

Never hunted from a pop-up blind.  I use natural cover with stake blinds when I need extra cover. No change there.

I use decoys sometimes.  Without seems more rewarding, especially if he hangs up & I really have to coax him in.

I used to sit on the ground, then added a vest with pad, now I ride a gobbler lounger and my back is grateful for it.

I went from military surplus camo, to TreBark, and haven't found anything better than Bottomland.

Turkeys have taught me patience and schooled me on what not to do.  Even though I know better, all these years later, I still do dumb stuff at times, just not as often.

A long walk back to the house with no socks taught me to never, ever leave T.P. at home.

My heart has always kicked into overdrive when I get one drumming close by.  I expect when that stops happening, I will no longer be drawing breath.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

aaron

The biggest change is being confident and slowing down.  Most mistakes in your early years center around trying to do too much too quickly.  Scout, find good areas, make good setups and WAIT.  You'll kill a boatload of birds.

BennieGobbler

Slow down....Still carry too much stuff....Be more patient....Self taught on turkey hunting....Listen to the birds...They will tell you what they want to hear.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: davisd9 on February 13, 2019, 10:08:21 AM
Worry about me and how I do it and no one else.

Boom....best answer right here.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

makestomstremble

The biggest difference is where I hunt. When I began hunting turkeys in the early 80's I only hunted on private land. I now hunt a mix of public and private, and it is like daylight and dark in contrast. If you try the same tactics on public land that you use on private you will go home empty handed probably 98% of the time. I call very little on public land and when I do I call much differently than on private. I spend as much time scouting now than I do hunting.

Regarding shooting, I learned a long time ago not to try to "quick draw" and hurry the shot, just let him come in close and wait for an obstacle between us to move (aim) or just move rather slowly. Even though the bird sees the movement, he usually does not equate it with a predatory action, where as the quick draw thing will send him into orbit most times. I shoot #6's from an extra full turkey choke now versus #4's from an old 870 with modified choke long ago. Would love to try the new TSS loads.

Divenut2

Changed my old 28" Full choke tube barrel with a 20" X-Full choke tube, went to a Red Dot instead of the bead sight, move around a lot less vs run & gunning (a bit older now LOL), and greatly reduced the frequency and volume of my calls. Finally, spend a lot more time hunting with my eyes to catch those gobblers that materialize without a sound.

Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.