OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lengthen Forcing Cone or ...?

Started by lowoctane, February 13, 2019, 05:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:morning:
Thinking out loud here... probably a question for Sumtoy. What works best on better patterns: lengthening the forcing cone or matching the chamber? Curious minds want to know! Thx!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

dirt road ninja

What is matching the chamber? I can't imagine any reason to touch the chamber, unless to clean or polish.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

BandedSpur

For card shooting, this treatment may be the bee's knees. But if you are shooting turkeys, I would recommend doing neither. Invest the money in TSS. TSS from a dead stock gun will outshoot any other shot material no matter what is done to the gun.

lowoctane

:morning:
Well, I have 3 turkey guns that will kill past 40 right now with 3" LB's, and I have enough LB ammo to last me for quite a few years that is less expensive than 8 dollars a round. Part of what I enjoy is working up different load/choke combos which I can do at the price of LB's. So, for me and my style of shooting and hunting the Winnie shells work quite well. Really not sure if I'll even invest any more money into further barrel work but am very curious about the differences I asked about. Thanks for your reply!  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Greg Massey

Just give your barrel deep cleaning and go hunting ... in my opinion ...

Greg Massey

If your looking to make any improvements , look at cleaning your barrel with product called Butch's Bore Shine .. it will clean you barrel and remove that plastic sheeting of the wad's from your barrel.. If you don't have this product i would suggest you invest in a bottle .. look it up on the internet ....

lowoctane

It's been a while since I deep cleaned my barrels so that will certainly help! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Gobble!

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 13, 2019, 08:26:10 AM
For card shooting, this treatment may be the bee's knees. But if you are shooting turkeys, I would recommend doing neither. Invest the money in TSS. TSS from a dead stock gun will outshoot any other shot material no matter what is done to the gun.

100% accurate. Give me a 20 gauge dirty barrel, factory extra full choke, and TSS over a 12 gauge with a $100 dollar choke, everything you could possibly do to the barrel, and lead shells.

Jeremy66

When I sent my barrel to Sumtoy last year to be shortened I asked about the forcing cone. He said to save my money and invest in a good choke.

Bowguy

I've had great luck w forcing cone work. Many guns already come that way from factory. What kinda gun is it?

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Bowguy

That gun didn't have em lengthened. I'd personally not buy a gun without it I believe that strongly in it. Some guys say it messed em up but idk barrels from Browning, Mossberg, Ithaca, Fabarms, etc have it. Not saying all do mind ya.
Thing is a 1300 is kind of like a classic car. Less you change the more resale value most times

lowoctane

My Rem SM came New with it gone and I had my Savage single done by Sumtoy. Need to see how the Winnie patterns after I deep clean it before making any decisions... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

sixbird

I had my forcing cone lengthened and polished and it blew my patterns by quite a bit. Last time I'll do something like that.
I eventually did get the patterns back but it took me lots of time, chokes and ammo to get back to where I started. I know some guys say it works. For me, never again...