OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lengthen Forcing Cone or ...?

Started by lowoctane, February 13, 2019, 05:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

Huh... I usually start with it pushed and polished, so I thought I'd try the Winnie in reverse, but, it may surprise me and not need it at all.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

trkehunr93

I don't recommend it, not with the turkey loads and chokes available today.  In the 80's when Mark Bansner was turning your average field model shotgun into a turkey killer out to 40 yards it was beneficial.  I would deep clean and polish your barrel and settle on a good load/choke combo and be done with it.  As others have said alot of guns come from the factory with it already lengthened.  Your $$ though.

tnanh

I have had it done to several single shots and 870s. Not a real noticeable difference in patters but the difference in recoil made it worth it especially in a 3 inch single shot sears I have. I tried to give that gun away. With three inch turkey loads it was unbearable. Forcing cone work and recoil pad and it is one of my favorite turkey guns now. # inch long beard magnum 6s put up a great 10 inch pattern with 205 in the circle and a 665 Sum Toy choke. Had to put a scope on it though because not much outside of 10 inch circle.

lowoctane

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 13, 2019, 08:26:10 AM
For card shooting, this treatment may be the bee's knees. But if you are shooting turkeys, I would recommend doing neither. Invest the money in TSS. TSS from a dead stock gun will outshoot any other shot material no matter what is done to the gun.
:morning:
Got to thinking about your post and am wondering: has the ammunition taken us to a point where the gun has become insignificant?  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Gobble!

Quote from: lowoctane on February 20, 2019, 04:13:00 AM
Quote from: BandedSpur on February 13, 2019, 08:26:10 AM
For card shooting, this treatment may be the bee's knees. But if you are shooting turkeys, I would recommend doing neither. Invest the money in TSS. TSS from a dead stock gun will outshoot any other shot material no matter what is done to the gun.
:morning:
Got to thinking about your post and am wondering: has the ammunition taken us to a point where the gun has become insignificant?  :camohat:

Without a doubt. The cheapest 20 gauge you can buy with a extra full choke shooting TSS will outperform the most expensive 12 gauge with the most expensive choke you can buy shooting lead. There are people who will be smashing birds this year with the $200 .410 Stevens 301 turkey.

worth612000

Been itching all day wanting to spend some money myself. I recommend hold your breath till it passes and think, did the last turkey you shot at survive? It a bad time of year now with just a few weeks till spring season