turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Books about Mississippi turkey hunting

Started by BB30, February 02, 2019, 05:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

jrkim, I loved double gobble, I used to work in that area, I knew several people in it, WW Dixon was a great man, when I read the story about the guy that got shot, I had heard that story before, from the guy who was the one who was shot, sad his son was with him that day the boy never wanted to hunt again, they were walking out a of field after a hunt when the guy shot him, Lee is a great guy and turkey hunter that doesn't hunt anymore.

Gobbler2577

Mr. Jody the same goes for you.  Heck I would almost drive it down there to you if I thought I could sit and run some of those fancy pots you have!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 05, 2019, 09:16:52 PM
jrkim, I loved double gobble, I used to work in that area, I knew several people in it, WW Dixon was a great man, when I read the story about the guy that got shot, I had heard that story before, from the guy who was the one who was shot, sad his son was with him that day the boy never wanted to hunt again, they were walking out a of field after a hunt when the guy shot him, Lee is a great guy and turkey hunter that doesn't hunt anymore.

Pulled out my copy of Double Gobble yesterday (Bobby Dale signed and wrote my dad a note on the inside) and gonna start reading again tonight.  Out of curiosity I looked it on amazon for the book!  Wow!  $170-$200  Must be out of print?

BBR12

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 05, 2019, 08:55:13 PM

Man , i live in Natchez and would drive that to read it. Thats a generous offer that you gave bugman. Kudos to you.
[/quote]

You don't have to drive all the way to Starkville, I'm right over in Brookhaven with a copy you can come read sometime.

BB30

Quote from: BBR12 on February 05, 2019, 12:25:09 PM
Another one I really liked and is very inexpensive is Otha Barhams's Spring Beckonings. The following list is as far as I know a complete list of all turkey hunting books by MS authors. There are a few that have some turkey stories mixed in with hunting in general. If anybody knows of any others please post up. 
Mabry Anderson
   Outdoor observations- general hunting book with turkey stories
Otha Barham
•   Spring Beckoning's
Bruce Brady
•   Bruce Brady's Game Trails
Ray Berryhill
•   Remember the hunt—hunting log book
Branton/Berryhill
•   3 Neil Cost books
•   Pavo Pavo The odyssey of hunting the oscellated turkey
Bobby Dale
•   Double Gobble
•   Turkey Roost Tales
•   Bearded Rednecks showing their tales and strutting their stuff
Jack Dudley
•   The Greatest Moments of My Life
John Duff
•   The Absolutely Infallible Rules of Wild Turkey Hunting
Roger Hannan
•   Tommy and Little Spur, kids book with coloring book
George Hurst
•   Rights of Way for wildlife        
•   Problems Pertaining to the Wild Turkey
•   Roads and Wildlife      
•   Miss. Cooperative Wild Turkey Research Project
•   The Wild Turkey in Mississippi
•   Population estimates for the wild turkey on Tallahala wildlife Mgmt. Area
Ransom Jones
•   Turkey Tracks: From Hatch to Harvest
Robert Hitt Neil
•   The Flaming Turkey
•   The Jakes
•   The Magnolia Club
•   Going Home
Gene Nunnery
•   2018 reprint of THE old pro
•   The Old Pro Turkey Hunter
•   I Will Lift Mine Eyes unto the Hills
Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland
•   The Truth
•   The Whole Truth
•   And Nothing But the Truth
Charles Whittington
•   Tall Timber Gabriel's
Richard Wiman
•   Tired Tubes and Ten Speed Turkeys
•   Long Shots from the Flatlands
Wade S. Wineman
•   East of the Slash
•   Bird of Courage
Preston Pittman\John E. Phillips
•   How to Hunt Turkeys with World Champion Preston Pittman

Thanks That is a great list. I will get started. I just got the Flaming Turkey in a couple of days ago and am about through it. It is a surprisingly entertaining read. The author IMO is pretty dang good at putting stories and thoughts on paper. Would recommend to anyone looking for a good read before the season. I actually thought it was better than East of the Slash. It isn't all about turkeys although that is what it is centered around.

It paints a picture that everyone can relate to of old hunting clubs, I'm still fairly young, 28 to be exact, but I can still remember spending time with the "old timers" that taught me at a club in Scooba, MS right outside of meridian when I was much younger. Those were some of the best spring breaks of my life spending a whole week with those men at the old camp.

Definitely worth the read.