OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tj Johnson call

Started by fordhunt, January 31, 2019, 10:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHturkey85

I picked up a hop hornbeam over rainbow poplar from TJ in Nashville it has a nice whiny Yelp to it he's doing a great job with the fiddle boxes!

yelpaholic

Greg Massey interesting , I'd never heard about fruit boxes changing tones. I assume you mean apple persimmon ......

Greg Massey

Quote from: yelpaholic on February 20, 2019, 12:10:02 PM
Greg Massey interesting , I'd never heard about fruit boxes changing tones. I assume you mean apple persimmon ......
Yes apple , pear more so than persimmon .... apple and pear in my opinion are the most finicky...

culpeper

And what do you believe is the reason for the finicky fruit boxes?

Greg Massey

Quote from: culpeper on February 20, 2019, 03:39:57 PM
And what do you believe is the reason for the finicky fruit boxes?
Age of the wood , i guess ... I would say some could get better over time and some worst ....Some call builders do at least build and wait over 3 months and check tuning on boxes before shipping ...Some don't ...

culpeper

Do you think the fruit woods are mutually exclusive in this regard, or could perhaps all wood species exhibit similar "finicky" inconsistencies to a certain extent, whether or not induced by the call maker, or simply due to natural causes?

dwcim

My opinion is that all species are vulnerable to movement, some more than others due to hardness, grain boundaries and grain structure,(electron sharing and covalent bonding), machining technique or material removal (callmaker) and stresses associated with natural phenomena such as creep.  These stresses exhibit expansion and contraction due to changing thermal conditions, moisture content, aging processes(age harding) and other natural occurrences associated with wood or any other material natural or man made.

Spitten and drummen

Waiting on my chakte viga over black limba very soon.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

culpeper

dwcim,  :icon_thumright: ;)now that's what I am talking about.  I too can't think of a single species of wood that isn't susceptable to this condition to to some degree or another based on the conditions/circumstances you indicate.  From my experience, both in building calls and in building furniture it takes place a lot and it's not exclusive nor more prone to happen to the 'fruit' wood species as opposed to others.  They all react differently, some more some less to the forces acted on them and then how they respond.

Greg Massey

Quote from: culpeper on February 21, 2019, 12:56:53 PM
dwcim,  :icon_thumright: ;)now that's what I am talking about.  I too can't think of a single species of wood that isn't susceptable to this condition to to some degree or another based on the conditions/circumstances you indicate.  From my experience, both in building calls and in building furniture it takes place a lot and it's not exclusive nor more prone to happen to the 'fruit' wood species as opposed to others.  They all react differently, some more some less to the forces acted on them and then how they respond.
X2 .. i agree .... good post and good discussion ...

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 21, 2019, 12:39:17 PM
Got one from him at Unicoi and it's a player ... you want be disappointed ....I think he sold everyone he had in this combo at the show ....

Greg Massey

Quote from: culpeper on February 21, 2019, 12:56:53 PM
How many fruit boxes have you built ? Why do you not build fruit boxes or do you build fruit boxes ?

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 21, 2019, 01:34:25 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 21, 2019, 12:39:17 PM
Got one from him at Unicoi and it's a player ... you want be disappointed ....I think he sold everyone he had in this combo at the show ....

I heard the soundfile of the one im suppose to get and it sounded very impressive. He sent 5 diffrent combo soundfiles and I picked that out.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

fordhunt

3bailey3

how long is the wait time on his calls now?