OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public Merriam Turkey Hunting

Started by chmcpherson, January 22, 2019, 03:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chmcpherson

I am planning on going after a Merriam turkey this year and I have been debating between the Lincoln National Forest in NM or the Black Hills in South Dakota. I am up for any other locations that anyone has had good experience at in the past, but those are the two spots I have been focusing. Does anyone have any helpful tips for these two areas or any other areas? Any advice is much appreciated! 

BB30

Quote from: chmcpherson on January 22, 2019, 03:06:07 PM
I am planning on going after a Merriam turkey this year and I have been debating between the Lincoln National Forest in NM or the Black Hills in South Dakota. I am up for any other locations that anyone has had good experience at in the past, but those are the two spots I have been focusing. Does anyone have any helpful tips for these two areas or any other areas? Any advice is much appreciated!

Can't go wrong with black hills. Beautiful country and a pretty place to shoot a gobbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolandstrutters

The Black Hills is tough going the last few years.  Birds are few and far between. 

SD_smith

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on January 22, 2019, 04:23:49 PM
The Black Hills is tough going the last few years.  Birds are few and far between.

I live in SD and they are down from years past all across the state. Still birds around though. Just have to be better!

misfire

I have hunted the Lincoln. Beautiful scenery, good amount of birds. Downside, I am a flatlander, that place was 9500', so plan on extra time to get where you want to be, tough breathing. It is steep too. And plan on the wind blowing, and not a gentle breeze either. The morning I finished my slam it was a steady 24mph, with gusts to 53mph. And those gusts were every 20-30 seconds.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Tomfoolery

Hunted the black hills 2 years ago and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

chmcpherson

Thanks for the info guys! I have added Wyoming to my list to look into for this year as well. Any suggestions on Wyoming public turkey hunting?

quackaddict

There are lots, and lots of guys on ATVs and SxSs to mess up your hunts in the Lincoln too. And it's damn sure steep, and cold, and windy.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Gooserbat

NM is not for the unconditioned flat lander
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

quackaddict

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 31, 2019, 11:18:06 AM
NM is not for the unconditioned flat lander

Especially where he's talking about going.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Tattoo Dave

I hunted the black hills 3 years ago. It was awesome, plenty of birds, but couldn't connect, mainly due to hunting with my longbow. Need them to really close for the longbow. Could've taken a few with the shotgun, though.

Tattoo Dave

Turkeyman11

I've only hunted the Black Hills once but absolutely loved it.  Three of us tagged out in four days.  That was six years ago.  I've hunted the Lincoln and Gila every year now for the past 22 years and I absolutely love it down there.  Sometimes tough windy conditions, but just like everywhere else there are blue bird days also.  Let me know if I can help you with any specifics.

Ctrize

Be sure your ready for either humping ridges can put a damper on your hunt if your not in shape. We have had success west of Custer SD and you might want to check out the Pine Ridge in Nebraska not much of a drive from SD. Metcalf and Gilbert Baker WMA, have been good.

Timmer

I loved hunting in the Black Hills but haven't been back in a couple of years.  The massive clear-cutting to fight the invasive beetle took away spot after spot we used to go, and it seemed like the bird population was on a steady decrease.  Beautiful country for sure. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!