OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Use Boot oil.

Started by ddturkeyhunter, January 22, 2019, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

Anybody knows how Snow Seal compares to Obenaufs?  Used Obenaufs before with good luck but still a little leak, wondering if Snow Seal is any better?
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

nitro

350 degrees???? Holy balls,  I'm surprised you didn't melt the boot soles.

PEET dryer and Obenauf's is the ticket. 

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 22, 2019, 03:28:20 PM
I also use Mink Oil just like my father and grandfather did. I would normally preheat the oven then when it got to 350 I would turn the oven off and just let them sit in there a little bit, pull one out and do it and then pull out the other and do it. Oh don't forget to clean the boots before you do it, makes a huge difference. Last year the GF would not go for the oven deal so I used her hair dryer, bigger pain in the butt but it worked okay.
Royal Slam 2008

Sir-diealot

Quote from: nitro on January 23, 2019, 05:12:43 PM

I also use Mink Oil just like my father and grandfather did. I would normally preheat the oven then when it got to 350 I would turn the oven off and just let them sit in there a little bit, pull one out and do it and then pull out the other and do it. Oh don't forget to clean the boots before you do it, makes a huge difference. Last year the GF would not go for the oven deal so I used her hair dryer, bigger pain in the butt but it worked okay.
No worries, just put them in for a very short time and remember the heat dissipates when I both turn the oven off and also when I open the door. I have a Peet but it does not make the outside warm at all. Gets the insides nice and toasty though. Not trying to insult but have never heard of Obenauf's before this thread. Of course I had never heard of my GF before we met and she turned out wonderful.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 23, 2019, 07:15:54 PM

No worries, just put them in for a very short time and remember the heat dissipates when I both turn the oven off and also when I open the door. I have a Peet but it does not make the outside warm at all. Gets the insides nice and toasty though. Not trying to insult but have never heard of Obenauf's before this thread. Of course I had never heard of my GF before we met and she turned out wonderful.
The smart thing to do is not buy leather boots...then you don't have this problem ..

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 23, 2019, 07:20:37 PM

The smart thing to do is not buy leather boots...then you don't have this problem ..
Better than rubber that rips and leaks easily. Had one pair of rubber boots, Redheads as they were the only ones in stock with a zipper as I could not get my feet in normal ones due to my high instep. Heel on right boot made LOUD squeaking noises whenever I moved my foot around and they were wet. Turns out I was not the only one having that problem I found out when I went to leave a review of them. Also have had problems with 2 Redhead water bladders leaking out of the box, won't buy stuff with the Redhead logo on it any more though I will say I like my backpack for carrying a bow I got from them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

tomstopper

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 23, 2019, 07:38:09 PM

Better than rubber that rips and leaks easily. Had one pair of rubber boots, Redheads as they were the only ones in stock with a zipper as I could not get my feet in normal ones due to my high instep. Heel on right boot made LOUD squeaking noises whenever I moved my foot around and they were wet. Turns out I was not the only one having that problem I found out when I went to leave a review of them. Also have had problems with 2 Redhead water bladders leaking out of the box, won't buy stuff with the Redhead logo on it any more though I will say I like my backpack for carrying a bow I got from them.
Try muck boots, I have had mine for 3 years with no issues

Brwndg

I been using Montana Pitch Blend on all my leather boots since 1988. Used Mink Oil and Sno Seal prior to discovering Montana Pitch. Best product out there.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on January 23, 2019, 08:30:01 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 23, 2019, 07:38:09 PM

Try muck boots, I have had mine for 3 years with no issues
The Mennonite I drive for uses them, I know he goes through 2 or 3 pairs a year, that being said he is doing barn work and everything in them. He also says that they get very hot though which I do not like the thought of.

John Koenig:

tomstopper

I went with the non insulated ones and definitely am not doing farm work in them lol. Just thought I might make the suggestion.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tomstopper on January 23, 2019, 08:51:19 PM
I went with the non insulated ones and definitely am not doing farm work in them lol. Just thought I might make the suggestion.
I do appreciate it, I really do. I am looking to maybe get another pair of boots by Spring, last year I came home and my feet were so wet I took my socks off and a toenail and a piece of skin went with it.

John Koenig:

gatrapper

I use a boot dryer and then a heat gun when applying the preservative.  Helps the boots really draw in the product.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

ddturkeyhunter

I had tryed snow seal in 2009 but that stuff was more of a paste then a jell, the kind i had anyway. And maybe would have worked better if I would have used any of the good tips i got from everyone. But I have some Obenaufs in the mail on the way, will be trying this stuff this time. Thanks everyone for all the tips. 

daddyduke

If you want to save money and get really dry boots use solid wax toilet seal ring. I just melt it down enough to put in a container. Apply to boots with gloves and apply heat. About $2.00 at your local home product store. I saw this tip years ago while searching for sno-seal.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

BTH

Hair dryer on low and rub on sno seal on the leather portions and mainly in the seams. Works like a champ!
Phil 4:13

kdfester

I will second the wax toilet bowl ring. Go buy the cheapest one you can get , warm your boots, and liberally apply.  If you are hesitant to think this may not work, I urge you to get some on your hand and try to wash it off.  Mink oil works well also just costs more.