turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most Painful Hunting Experience???

Started by tomstopper, January 22, 2019, 12:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

QuoteWhy don't women have a sense of humor?

Tell me about it....they are a different creature

Heck the year I was shot and two weeks after I come home from the hospital, my buddy came by to visit. He asked if I wanted to take a ride and maybe we'd see some turkeys out somewhere. I told him I was taking a gun. We drove by one of my honey holes and the land owner was coming out his lane. We stopped and chatted with him and asked if we could drive around the pasture and look for turkeys. He then told us he just saw a flock of gobblers. So we drove to that area and my buddy pulled up by a bulldover pile and helped get set behind a log and drove the truck out of site then set up to call the birds by me. Well here come a gobbler and I blasted him. I couldn't even get up to go get him, but I had a good buddy to do that. I promptly called my wife to tell her (heck I was tickled to death) and her disgusted reply was, "I married a damn idiot" and hung up......yup no sense of humor in them critters.

tomstopper

Quote from: eggshell on January 28, 2019, 05:27:36 PM
QuoteWhy don't women have a sense of humor?

Tell me about it....they are a different creature

Heck the year I was shot and two weeks after I come home from the hospital, my buddy came by to visit. He asked if I wanted to take a ride and maybe we'd see some turkeys out somewhere. I told him I was taking a gun. We drove by one of my honey holes and the land owner was coming out his lane. We stopped and chatted with him and asked if we could drive around the pasture and look for turkeys. He then told us he just saw a flock of gobblers. So we drove to that area and my buddy pulled up by a bulldover pile and helped get set behind a log and drove the truck out of site then set up to call the birds by me. Well here come a gobbler and I blasted him. I couldn't even get up to go get him, but I had a good buddy to do that. I promptly called my wife to tell her (heck I was tickled to death) and her disgusted reply was, "I married a damn idiot" and hung up......yup no sense of humor in them critters.

Sounds like something my wife would say. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get shot?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

My worst hunting injury came when I was duck hunting in January of 1984 with one of my best friends. It was forecast to be very cold that day and it was in a big way (-9 F still stands as all time coldest day in North Carolina history).  We were on our way to hunt a reservoir about a mile from where we parked, so the walk along with toting guns & decoys sort of warmed us up.  In order to get to the area we planned to hunt, we had to walk through an area that had been clear cut.  There was still a lot of tree tops and branches in the frost covered, head-high weeds we were working our way through to get to the lake.  About 30 feet from the water's edge, there was a limb about the size of the base of a billiard cue stick blocking our path.  I pushed the limb out of the way, so my buddy could pass.  Just after he got the decoy bag beyond the limb, it broke just below my hand, then snapped back and cracked me in the face.  The limb struck right where the roots of my upper teeth met my skull.  I saw stars, could taste blood, and my face felt like it had immediately swollen up double the size .  I don't know if the blood dried or froze first, but it was all down the front of my camo coat.  We shot some ducks, but most had left for open water.  By the time we got back to town, my eyes were bloodshot and I had to have the break wired back in place for a couple of months.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

eggshell

Quotehow did you get shot?

I posted it earlier in this thread. I was shot by a bowhunter while fall turkey hunting. I took a mechanical broadhead through my left thigh....I nearly died.

tomstopper

Quote from: eggshell on January 29, 2019, 07:11:49 AM
Quotehow did you get shot?

I posted it earlier in this thread. I was shot by a bowhunter while fall turkey hunting. I took a mechanical broadhead through my left thigh....I nearly died.
Yes after I posted it last night, I remembered that you had...lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

TKE921

When I was first starting to bowhunt, and no one I knew had even heard of a fall harness, I had an API treestand strap come loose and stand and I both went to the ground.  Lucky enough I was on the side of the hill and mostly just slid down like a landing ramp.