OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What new gear and gadgets are you adding to your turkey vest this spring?

Started by Jrkimbrough, December 12, 2018, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: Tail Feathers on December 13, 2018, 11:07:17 AM
I have a Beard Buster stadium type seat that I picked up after season that I'll be testing this year.  I'll be trying a variety of mouth calls this year.
I've had a trumpet for a few years that I haven't had the nerve to try on a real turkey.  I'll be trying it this season.  I really need some practice tho!

Same here, I did forget that I got a new trumpet right at the end of this years season and have been practicing since.  Interested to see how it works out for me

RUN-N-GUN

Quote from: compton30 on December 12, 2018, 11:07:33 PM
Quote from: Fdept56 on December 12, 2018, 10:49:55 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on December 12, 2018, 10:36:28 PM
Crazy as it sounds I'm on a sock quest.  I've figured out that what kind of socks you wear dictate how comfortable your feet stay.  Cotton is out!!!
Try some Darn Toughs! I had a hard time talking myself into spending $25 on a pair of socks but they have a lifetime warranty and it has been worth it so far.

To the OP, two of the biggest changes I'm making are the same ones as you, the hiking boots and I actually bought the same water bottle because of the same reasons. I have also got to find a pair of clippers to throw in my vest instead of just a limb saw.

Never had any experience with Darn Tough socks but if you're not wearing a Merino sock you're doing yourself a disservice. Merino wool is just an unbelievable material for hunting clothes.
^^^ Yep, merino wool. A good wool hiking sock. I've found the cheaper stuff works but didn't last as long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vt35mag

Quote from: compton30 on December 12, 2018, 11:07:33 PM
Quote from: Fdept56 on December 12, 2018, 10:49:55 PM
Crazy as it sounds I'm on a sock quest.  I've figured out that what kind of socks you wear dictate how comfortable your feet stay.  Cotton is out!!!
Try some Darn Toughs! I had a hard time talking myself into spending $25 on a pair of socks but they have a lifetime warranty and it has been worth it so far.

To the OP, two of the biggest changes I'm making are the same ones as you, the hiking boots and I actually bought the same water bottle because of the same reasons. I have also got to find a pair of clippers to throw in my vest instead of just a limb saw.

Never had any experience with Darn Tough socks but if you're not wearing a Merino sock you're doing yourself a disservice. Merino wool is just an unbelievable material for hunting clothes.

Darn Tough socks are made right here in Vermont, have an unconditional lifetime warranty, and they do make Merino Wool Hiker/Boot socks. 

Ross R

So Far I have added a David Halloran green slate and a new Weatherby SA459 20 guage. 

greencop01

I'm adding a new DayBreak Ceramic and an Albert Paul Sassafras/Persimmon box, and a new pr LLBean boots.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

RUN-N-GUN

Me and the wife are heading to Nashville in February so I'm sure I'll find something to add

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mmorgan9812

Quote from: Happy on December 13, 2018, 08:02:41 PM
A couple new shells to replace the ones I shot last year.

Ha ha that one cracked me up, but actually its true! I like your style

Gobble!

I'm good right now but once the turkey mags start showing up and NWTF show gets here that will probably change.

MK M GOBL

Don't think you can beat SmartWool, I have a number of these and the most comfortable hunting sock I have worn!

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-phd-hunt-light-crew-socks-sw001356#hero=0

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

New toys, looking at some new toys for my camera setup, and a DSD or two other than that my only need is more ammo :)

MK M GOBL

tha bugman

Sir-diealot

See all of you talking about socks, can anyone suggest some that are not wool or wool blend? I am allergic to wool, ears wound up looking like a wrestlers last time I came in contact with wool.

Not in the vest but the new scope I bought and some shells that sight in well with it. Well I will have some shells in the vest so I guess I am covered.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 14, 2018, 10:45:45 AM
See all of you talking about socks, can anyone suggest some that are not wool or wool blend? I am allergic to wool, ears wound up looking like a wrestlers last time I came in contact with wool.

Not in the vest but the new scope I bought and some shells that sight in well with it. Well I will have some shells in the vest so I guess I am covered.

Swiftwick performance series

https://swiftwick.com/collections/performance

Dukejb

I picked up a Buice trumpet, two Mabry pots and a Mabry scratch box while we were in Georgia for Thanksgiving. I'm also seriously considering ditching my vest for one of Glenda Green's satchels if I can squeeze it into the budget.