OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What new gear and gadgets are you adding to your turkey vest this spring?

Started by Jrkimbrough, December 12, 2018, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

As die hard turkey hunters, I think we all are a bit obsessive about our gear because we take our hobby very seriously.  Just curious what new gear and/or gadgets you guys are adding to your vest for the upcoming spring of '19?

Below are a few new things I've recently purchased in anticipation of spring....

-Keen Gypsum hiking boots (I've always been a rubber boot kinda guy but decided to order a nice set of waterproof hiking boots to see if they are a bit kinder to my feet)

-RNG-300 vest  (very impressed, can't wait to put it through it's paces in a few months!)

-Platypus Platy 2 liter collapsible water bottle (weird I know, but I get so annoyed at the crinkling and crunching of your normal water bottles in the back of your vest.  They always seem to make the most noise during the most unfortunate times)

-Hydration pack for the RNG300 vest (as a former hardcore endurance mountain biker, I'm very familiar with the camelback style hydration packs and am gonna experiment to see how I like it.  It appears lots of guys are starting to go this route)

- Irving Whit box call ( snagged a beauty on one of his recent "Bench sales" and am pumped about toting it in the woods)

What new gear/gadgets/calls are you guys excited about adding to your arsenal and trying out this upcoming spring?

RED NECK

I probably won't add much to my vest or calls this year as I have the last few but I think you will really like the rng 300,I picked one up last spring and it is awesome,far and away my favorite vest/hybrid ever.I will wear it whether I am gun hunting or bow hunting without a blind.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mmorgan9812

Not much in the vest but cant wait to take a bird with my new Knight TK2000

nyhunter

Couple new calls; Brad Roberts Green slate, S.S & Ernie Fetters scratch box's " I've never hunted with a scratch box" and looking forward to using one.

buzzardroost

Going to attempt to not spend much so I would like another Halloran call and will get a new Gooserbat call since I hear he has a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

My GF picked me up an RNG 300 as a early CHRISTmas present earlier this year, never had a vest before so looking forward to trying that out though sitting on the cushion on the floor in the apartment it is not very comfortable so I may replace the seat on it with a Beard Buster Jumbo Seat if it will fit.

I have to finish paying off a couple calls next month and the following and looking forward to getting them in 2 intrigue me, one from Grizz Friction Wood Calls that he will be making out of Apple wood and Mulberry for me, both woods have a meaning to me as my first job was picking drops in an apple orchard when I was young and growing up we had a house with black mulberry tree out front and remember climbing it and picking them and it was my favorite jam that we would can.

Of course I will be trying out all the calls I have bought here at one time or another during the season as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gooserbat

Crazy as it sounds I'm on a sock quest.  I've figured out that what kind of socks you wear dictate how comfortable your feet stay.  Cotton is out!!!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fdept56

Quote from: Gooserbat on December 12, 2018, 10:36:28 PM
Crazy as it sounds I'm on a sock quest.  I've figured out that what kind of socks you wear dictate how comfortable your feet stay.  Cotton is out!!!
Try some Darn Toughs! I had a hard time talking myself into spending $25 on a pair of socks but they have a lifetime warranty and it has been worth it so far.

To the OP, two of the biggest changes I'm making are the same ones as you, the hiking boots and I actually bought the same water bottle because of the same reasons. I have also got to find a pair of clippers to throw in my vest instead of just a limb saw.

compton30

Quote from: Fdept56 on December 12, 2018, 10:49:55 PM
Try some Darn Toughs! I had a hard time talking myself into spending $25 on a pair of socks but they have a lifetime warranty and it has been worth it so far.

To the OP, two of the biggest changes I'm making are the same ones as you, the hiking boots and I actually bought the same water bottle because of the same reasons. I have also got to find a pair of clippers to throw in my vest instead of just a limb saw.

Never had any experience with Darn Tough socks but if you're not wearing a Merino sock you're doing yourself a disservice. Merino wool is just an unbelievable material for hunting clothes.

NCL

Tail Feathers

I have a Beard Buster stadium type seat that I picked up after season that I'll be testing this year.  I'll be trying a variety of mouth calls this year.
I've had a trumpet for a few years that I haven't had the nerve to try on a real turkey.  I'll be trying it this season.  I really need some practice tho!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bowguy

I plan to add nothing. In fact I've been decreasing the items carried. Years ago I carried a couple mouth calls, some shells, drink n a compass. Idk if I'm really getting benefit from carrying a full vest or psychologically I just felt more prepared.
This year I'm going down to mouth calls, two pots, a scratcher, longbox, locator calls, couple shells, compass, drink. Oh yea and a thermocell. That's way more than enough I think. Might even carry only one shell! Just kidding on that one but it won't be many.

Jrkimbrough

Try Swiftwick!  You will not be disappointed!  Its was what I work when I used to mountain bike a lot and I've gotten to it's all I wear everyday all day.  I normally wear the "performance" series during warmer weather and the "pursuit" merino models during cooler weather.