Main Menu

Off topic music question

Started by Sir-diealot, September 20, 2018, 06:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: crow on September 20, 2018, 10:07:10 PM
Doc Watson, very good musician.
older style of Mt./bluegrass music
Very good, he is quite varied in the styles he plays as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: crow on September 20, 2018, 10:14:08 PM
Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter link=
Sorry last few beers went down like a fat kid on a see-saw.  :z-guntootsmiley:
/quote]

they never really bounced like you thought they would when bottoming out.  :TooFunny:

right now Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss are singing Seven Spanish Angels on u-tube, good version
Never heard that version, I remember watching TV when my Dad was still alive and Willie and Ray Charles debuted their version of it, love it instantly.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on September 20, 2018, 10:17:47 PM
You can find some really good Steve Martin stuff on YouTube, too.

INCREDIBLE banjer player !!!
That he is, did not know that til a couple of years ago. He does a lot to help keep the old time music alive.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vthokie7227 on September 20, 2018, 10:58:30 PM
Check out Take's Bluegrass Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3HEfPXzoNc1dH-QMjlAGbQ). He's got all sorts of great albums on there. You've gotten some good suggestions so far. A couple names I would add would include Reno & Smiley, Jimmy Martin & the Sunny Mountain Boys, JD Crowe & the New South, Jim and Jesse McReynolds, The Osborne Brothers (note: NOT the Brothers Osborne), and The Country Gentleman. If you like guitar picking, check out Tony Rice. That man is probably the greatest guitarist to ever live. Another great guitarist to check out would be Norman Blake. He and Tony Rice have a could albums out (Titled: Blake and Rice) that are great. Some more recent groups (still active today) that still fit the classic bluegrass sound would include Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Dailey & Vincent, Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Blue Highway, Russel Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers, and Terry Baucom & the Dukes of Drive. One cool thing I've found on YouTube is when you find an artist you like, search their name plus the word "topic". This usually brings up a channel for the given artist and often times you can find most of their albums.
Thank you very much for the names and the tips, getting to every bodies suggestions as fast as I can.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wimp2 on September 21, 2018, 10:01:24 AM
WEVL 89.9 fm , wevl.org bluff city barn dance, hillbilly jazz,
Thanks, I will look for it.

John Koenig:

daddyduke

I really like the Kruger Brothers. Check them out.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: daddyduke on September 21, 2018, 04:45:07 PM
I really like the Kruger Brothers. Check them out.
Thanks, I will look for them.

John Koenig:

vthokie7227

The Kruger Brothers are great. Jens is a monster banjo player. I think it's safe to say you touched on my true passion. I am banjo picker first and foremost (Don't hold that against me) Turkey hunting has quickly taken a hold of me though. But in all honesty, bluegrass banjo is my true addiction. Going off what Yoder said, Steve Martin has done a lot of great things for the banjo. He offers the Steve Martin Prize for Banjo Excellence where he gives the recipient $50,000! Last year's recipient, Scott Vestal, is truly a phenomenal musician. Check out the Bluegrass '95, '96 and '97 albums on YouTube. His banjo work on there has set the standard for the modern banjo picker.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vthokie7227 on September 21, 2018, 09:35:19 PM
The Kruger Brothers are great. Jens is a monster banjo player. I think it's safe to say you touched on my true passion. I am banjo picker first and foremost (Don't hold that against me) Turkey hunting has quickly taken a hold of me though. But in all honesty, bluegrass banjo is my true addiction. Going off what Yoder said, Steve Martin has done a lot of great things for the banjo. He offers the Steve Martin Prize for Banjo Excellence where he gives the recipient $50,000! Last year's recipient, Scott Vestal, is truly a phenomenal musician. Check out the Bluegrass '95, '96 and '97 albums on YouTube. His banjo work on there has set the standard for the modern banjo picker.
Who knew the jerk could play?! Yes he does quite a bit for them, first learned of his involvement on either Leno or Letterman. I have to head to bed, taking my trapping course in the morning, I will check more out when I get home late in the day, it is an eight hour course. Thanks again.

John Koenig:

RutnNStrutn

Do you stream music on Pandora, or other music apps? If so, do a search for bluegrass stations and gospel stations. You'll find some of the tunes you are looking for, and likely some others that you like but hadn't heard of before. Plus, if you're not familiar, you can thumbs down the music you don't like, and thumbs up what you do like, and fine tune your station to your likes. Good luck! :icon_thumright:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 23, 2018, 03:00:58 PM
Do you stream music on Pandora, or other music apps? If so, do a search for bluegrass stations and gospel stations. You'll find some of the tunes you are looking for, and likely some others that you like but hadn't heard of before. Plus, if you're not familiar, you can thumbs down the music you don't like, and thumbs up what you do like, and fine tune your station to your likes. Good luck! :icon_thumright:
I have done some with I heart radio but not much. Thanks.

John Koenig:

vthokie7227

If you like using I Heart Radio, check out 98.1 WBRF out of Galax, Virginia. They're a classic country and bluegrass station. If I remember right, there's a bluegrass show on air every night from 6:30-10:30 pm called the Blue Ridge Backroads.

paboxcall

You can sign up for free on Spotify and Pandora online with an email address. Have to listen to a few commercials but its not obtrusive, and the free part is the best part.

Both online streaming services have lots of bluegrass channels dedicated to the older stuff your akin to, including gospel bluegrass channels. I like it too, and introduced me to many new bands.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sir-diealot

Quote from: vthokie7227 on September 24, 2018, 11:14:45 PM
If you like using I Heart Radio, check out 98.1 WBRF out of Galax, Virginia. They're a classic country and bluegrass station. If I remember right, there's a bluegrass show on air every night from 6:30-10:30 pm called the Blue Ridge Backroads.
Listening now, they are talking about NASCAR though, yuk!

John Koenig:

blake_08

i always loved the Andy Griffith episodes with The Darlings on the show. They're real band name is The Dillards and they have some good songs.