OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If you were going to build the ultimate single shot..Updated--Pulled the trigger

Started by JDogg, April 25, 2011, 12:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDogg

Hey guys I'm thinking of building a very dedicated spring turkey gun.  I hunt almost all public land and sometimes I have to walk up to 2 miles to get where I'm going.  I was hunting with my Charles Daly auto 12 and I have to say I love that gun.  I haven't found an auto that light that has such soft recoil.  My extractor broke during teal season last year and now that CD is out of business getting a replacement is next to impossible.  So currently I am using my 26 inch 870 3.5 inch gun.  I really laid it to a bird with som Hevi 7-2.25-3.5 last monday.  I could really use a lighter more manuverable gun however.  So I've been thinking about building my ultimate public land turkey gun.

I want it to be light, have sights or scope(which do you guys prefer?), Pistol grip and adjustable stock would be great.  Reliabilty is a must so to me this takes auto loaders off my list, even though I love the way gas guns feel to shoot.  I have really narrowed it down to a single shot for my needs.  When I take my son out for youth season we take his HR pardner youth and it sure is handy to carry around.  If I could get one with choke tubes I think it might just be a good starting point.  I'm also thinking 20ga and handload some tss.  My sons gun has killed birds out to 35yds with hevi 7.5's and a modified choke so a real turkey choke and tss 9 should go al long ways.  Anyway thats what I'm thinking, you guys with more experience tell me what you think

Skeeterbait

If I wanted to build a dedicated single shot turkey gun I would start by finding a good used Mossberg SSI-one smooth bore 12 gauge.  I see them on Gunbroker sometimes.  All the benefits of the 835 in a single shot, backbored barrel, 3.5" chamber, ported, uses same chokes as the 835, and has a rail already attached for an optical device.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Skeeterbait on April 25, 2011, 12:08:59 PM
If I wanted to build a dedicated single shot turkey gun I would start by finding a good used Mossberg SSI-one smooth bore 12 gauge.  I see them on Gunbroker sometimes.  All the benefits of the 835 in a single shot, backbored barrel, 3.5" chamber, ported, uses same chokes as the 835, and has a rail already attached for an optical device.

I agree wholeheartedly! I have one of those guns and try to take it on a turkey hunt each year. It's just a great gun with all the features you've mentioned. It's a quality product.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 25, 2011, 12:25:23 PM

I agree wholeheartedly! I have one of those guns and try to take it on a turkey hunt each year. It's just a great gun with all the features you've mentioned. It's a quality product.

Thanks,
Clark

X3!!  I love the SSI-1 platform!  Shoulda bought 2 when my store was closing them out at $199.00. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

bowhunter84

if i were wanting a single shot turkey gun that is what i would get

Hognutz

I'd buy a Benelli and put a plug in the magazine.. :you_rock:  Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

runngun

Thompson Center Encore, Indian Creek Choke Tube and Nitro's,  absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!! Light weight and deadly.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: runngun on April 25, 2011, 04:45:04 PM
Thompson Center Encore, Indian Creek Choke Tube and Nitro's,  absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!! Light weight and deadly.

That too! :toothy12:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hookedspur

Quote from: runngun on April 25, 2011, 04:45:04 PM
:agreed: :toothy12:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

woodchip

:happy0064:

cannonball

:agreed:

JDogg

Alright you guys talked me into it and I just won the Gunbroker auction on this SSI.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227457989

Now I still need your help.  First off choke?  I will be shooting Hevi's either all 7s or 6x7s.  I want long range density since it will have scope. So which scope I see alot of guys like the simmons pro diamond.  Any reason not to get that one?  Okay here's the big question.  I hunt mostly public land with real weary birds and I'm not comfortable leaving it blued.  So should I get it dipped, or paint it a more natural color.  I thought about Cerakoting the barrel and action in a muted green(kinda like that new berratta) then refinishing the stock in a very matte finish.

devin4484

The prodiamond will do the trick..  Love mine its preformed flawlessly the last two years i've used it and killed 5 birds.  Paint the barrel or use some primos or knight and hale mossy oak fabric tape.

paladin

I had the 200 dollar bid.
I already have an encore but that is a nice gun.
Glad you got it.
"have gun-will travel"