turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snakes!!

Started by GobbleNut, August 21, 2018, 08:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Never struck, but I always wear my gaiters when in snake country.

Cut N Run

I had a ~30 inch moccasin strike at me duck hunting during teal season in the early 80s.  He was sunning on some bent over reeds.  He struck at me when I got close, but missed.  He kept coming on, like he was going to go at me again.  I laid him out with a canoe paddle.

I stepped past a pygmy rattlesnake deer hunting one sunny Fall day down east.  The buzz sounded like an odd sounding cicada and that's what I thought I'd see when I looked down.  I high stepped on by and it had slipped off into high grass when we went looking for it.

Got hit in the rubber boot by a 2' copperhead turkey hunting in 1998 on my way out of the woods.  The bite didn't penetrate all the way through the boot.  My ankle was near the back of the boot and he struck the front. I was walking through a creek bottom and never saw the snake until it bounced off the front of my boot. I freaked out & jumped back about 5 feet. Then I cut him half in two with a load of copper plated #6s. I'm still on edge and look for snakes every time I cross that creek bottom.  Also bought snake boots the next day. Haven't been bit since.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: aclawrence on August 21, 2018, 09:07:40 PM
Interestingly I just sat down with the kids to watch Brave Wilderness and they had just posted a new video of Coyote Peterson looking at a huge Water Moccasin on a road in Florida one night.  Check it out for some cool footage of a monster size cottonmouth!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just watched the video. That's a stud cottonmouth!! :o I've seen many of them in the wild, but never one that big.

aclawrence

Thankfully I haven't either!

GSUTURK98

Living in middle Ga, I don't take a chance.  But with the amount of ground a turkey hunter covers, comfort is a factor.  My advice is to buy the highest quality snake boots you can afford. $100 or less seemed to only last a season or two at best for me.  Bought a nice pair 3 years ago and the comfort is much better with the durability to match...

jshark14

Quote from: GSUTURK98 on August 30, 2018, 10:04:43 PM
Living in middle Ga, I don't take a chance.  But with the amount of ground a turkey hunter covers, comfort is a factor.  My advice is to buy the highest quality snake boots you can afford. $100 or less seemed to only last a season or two at best for me.  Bought a nice pair 3 years ago and the comfort is much better with the durability to match...
What kind did you buy? I bought Lacrosse boots last year, and they leaked at the end of the season. Interested in what has worked for other folks.

bobk

Danner Pronghorns,  have been wearing the same pair for 5 - 6  years. They are comfortable and 100% waterproof.

jshark14

Quote from: bobk on August 31, 2018, 07:35:43 AM
Danner Pronghorns,  have been wearing the same pair for 5 - 6  years. They are comfortable and 100% waterproof.
Thanks! I'll give them a try. Snake boots are definitely needed in southwest Georgia.

aclawrence

They must have upped their game. I think the pronghorns are a notorious leaky boot.

deerhunt1988

I've owned two pair of different generation Proghorns and both have leaked before making it through one of my turkey seasons.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on September 02, 2018, 06:31:53 AM
I've owned two pair of different generation Proghorns and both have leaked before making it through one of my turkey seasons.
Good info to know, I was thinking on a pair of them for when I go to OK
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 02, 2018, 09:30:06 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on September 02, 2018, 06:31:53 AM
Good info to know, I was thinking on a pair of them for when I go to OK
Every snake boot I've ever owned leaked. A couple leaked on the very first time I wore them, so I returned them. Most last one season and start leaking the next. Had a couple last 2 years. I've tried a bunch of brands. Chippewa, Danner, Rocky, Guide Gear and Redhead. The Redheads are lightweight, comfortable, retain their waterproofing longer than the others, and are affordable, so that when they do start leaking it's no big deal to buy another pair. I wear my good pair in the morning dew or walking through water. I wear my older, leaking pair in the afternoons in dry terrain.

Turkeytider

Quote from: jshark14 on August 30, 2018, 10:10:46 PM
Quote from: GSUTURK98 on August 30, 2018, 10:04:43 PM
What kind did you buy? I bought Lacrosse boots last year, and they leaked at the end of the season. Interested in what has worked for other folks.

So far, so good with my Lacrosse Alpha snake boots. For $150 they better not leak! In the second season with them . In and around the piney woods in Georgia, I`d be nervous without them.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Turkeytider on September 04, 2018, 03:37:09 PMFor $150 they better not leak!
The Danners I had cost over $200 and leaked the very first time I wore them. >:(
I've had 3 sets of Rockys that cost me anywhere from $150-200. 2 of them leaked right away, 1 of them made it a few months before leaking. ::)
That's why I go with the Redhead Snake Boots. Lightweight, comfortable, pretty rugged and most of all affordable. That's why I just cycle through my snake boots. Good non-leaking pair, good leaking pair, and relegated to working in the woods pair. Affordable enough that I don't mind when they eventually start leaking.
If anyone finds a pair that don't leak, please let me know!! They gotta be lightweight and breathable though, because I do most of my hunting in Dixie and it's hot!!

Brad_Colvin

I have gone through so many brands of snake boots it's not even funny. All of them leak at some point like stated above. I got a pair of the lacrosse rubber snake boots 2 years ago. About half way through the first season with them a small stick jabbed a hole in them just above the ankle. If a stick can poke a hole in them I'm sure a snake fangs can get through them. That's an uneasy feeling. Before last season I picked up a pair of Danners on sale for less than a hundred dollars. They are very comfortable. I can cross creeks in them and my feet will stay dry,but walk across a field in the morning and my feet are drenched.  My take on leaky boots is this. My feet are going to be wet, either by leaky boots or my feet sweating simply due to the nature of "water proof " boots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk