Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shotgun storage and firing pin questions.....

Started by ShootingABN!, July 15, 2018, 02:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

So do you use a snap cap? Those little shell like things that go inside the chamber and you pull the trigger to release the firing pin?

Has anyone ever had a firing pin spring go bad? I'm just wondering.

Oh and I miss spring turkey hunting really bad.

Please share your thoughts on the subject and or your experance.
Thanks and have a blessed day.

Greg Massey

Never have really worried about it myself ... i'm not saying it's a bad idea.... I've just never had a problem...

outdoors

Iv thought about it  , every now and then through the years
Just never worried about it
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ShootingABN!

Thanks for the replies. Knock on wood. I haven't had a spring fail yet. Oldest shotgun I have is 92 I think?

I would like to know if anyone has had a spring fail. 

Turkeytider

Use them routinely and have for a number of years. Never had a firing pin failure. Coincidence or related? Don`t know and I`m not sure how you could determine that.

NCL

I had snap caps in my competitive shotguns but then they were shot thousands of rounds per year. With that said even though those gun were shot extensively  there was never a spring failure.

Sir-diealot

I use them in two of my guns and will use them in all as soon as I can get more of them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

greencop01

I'm 65, been hunting 50yrs, never had problem w/ firing pins in my guns. Never used snap caps and I also never abused my guns, just shot them a lot and never had a problem with firing pins. I keep my guns clean and in a gun locker. Never had a mechanical failure. Owned Mossburgs and my favorite shotguns have been Remington 870's, 1100's and 1187's.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Dr Juice

I spoke to a gunsmith about this and according to him it is not an issue with modern day shotguns. Where it is a problem is the older side by sides and over unders that used leaf springs in the mechanisms. Just my two cents

Mtd69

I have never used anything and have never had a pin or spring fail I have guns I have used for over 40 years

1iagobblergetter

I've never heard had any issues and I have quite a few guns. The only thing I've ever heard with firing pins is don't dry fire a gun.

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Marc

I have had both the pins and the springs go bad... 

Guns hardly used and in storage for a long time for the springs...  High use (clay target) guns I have had the pins go bad.

Most of my hunting guns, I can release the firing pin spring with the bolt half engaged and pull the trigger.  This releases the spring without firing the gun (obviously the gun is still empty when I do this).

All of my other guns have some sort of "snap caps."  I lubricate the snap caps before storing, and do NOT use empty casings with plastic hulls...  I have used empty paper casings (oiled) as snap caps though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 15, 2018, 04:24:51 PM
I use them in two of my guns and will use them in all as soon as I can get more of them.
Why do you feel you need to use these in your guns ?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 16, 2018, 02:04:14 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 15, 2018, 04:24:51 PM
Why do you feel you need to use these in your guns ?
Just to relieve the built up tension in the spring. Nothing is good to be under load for long periods of time. JMO
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."