OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Zero Turn?

Started by guesswho, June 29, 2018, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Got a non turkey hunting question.  I'm in the market for a zero turn mower.   Like everything else there seems to be a thousand choices.   Would like to stay under $5K.  For those of you with experience what would you be looking for?  What brands, features etc?   Biggest lot would be approximately 1 1/2 acres.  I'm kind of liking the looks of the Husqvarna's, but have no experience with these type of mowers.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tail Feathers

Bad Boy mower around $4500 for 54".  Should make fairly short work.
Husquvarna is OK, but for a bit more the Bad Boys, Gravely's and such with fabricated decks and easy access to stuff will probably make you happier in the long run.

All that said, I mow with a Land Pride 6' finish mower behind a New Holland tractor with turf tires. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

deadbuck

I bought a Exmark 48 inch cut 3 years ago and wish I had bought it sooner for a 1 acre lot I have at my house. It replaced a Cub Cadet 42 inch rider and I can cut my yard in 1/2 the time it took previously and it does a MUCH better job of cutting. However, mine was $6400. Like I said, wish I had bought it a long time ago

Dark Whiskey

I'm more about the dealer , servicing and parts, more than brand most of the time. That said I really like the Country Clipper with the stand up deck.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuIjjxcRhXY

bbcoach

No matter which mower you choose go with the widest cut you can get.  Most have 60 inchers, they definitely cut down on mowing time.  Don't even think of anything less than 54.

KYHeadhunter02

I spent a LOT of time researching mowers about a month ago. I ended up with a Hustler Raptor for a few reasons. It fit in my budget and I had a friend that works at Lowes mark it down. I think it retails for around 3200. Overall I like it a lot and it cuts great, but I just hit 10 hours on it. There are a few things that I don't care for. One is the fuel tank isn't all that large, I think It holds 3-4 gallons. I get roughly 4-5 hours on a tank. The second is the deck adjustment. You have to fiddle around with raising the deck with your foot and putting the pin in the holes. It also took me a while experimenting with how high I want to cut vs. the correct hole. If your taller over 5'10-5'11 you may have problems also. The seat isnt real adjustable.

A lot depends on how much you mowe. I mowe about an acre or a bit more. Some other mowers i looked at was the Spartan line up. If there hadn't been as big of a price difference I would have gone that route. It was roughly 1300 more. They have really nice wheels and tires, HD decks and a single knob deck adjustment. Im sure there are other things I missed. If your not familiar with them them I would check into them. The guy that owns Spartan used to own Bad Boy mowers. The other option I was looking hard at was the Scag liberty's. I don't recall the price, but they are quality machines and offer a great warranty and made here. I wanted something a bit better than a big box store residential mower, but under a commercial machine. I feel like those 3 fit in the middle. I didn't have 8-10 grand to drop on a mower or I would have gone with a Gravely. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Coop1082

My vote is for either a Bad Boy or a Toro.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Roost 1

Gravely makes some awfully good mowers at that price point.
I have a Exmark and love it.  Buddy just bought a Spartan and
Really likes it.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I don't know  the dealers you have close to you but you can get a hustler around $3000.00. Ex mark and Spartan are decent mowers also. I like Stag but they are a little pricey.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Upfold99

Would depend on what was sold in my area. I would stay away from box stores.

Just got a gravely. A must for me was fabricated deck. Looked at a bad boy but the comparable model to the gravely did not have a serviceable trans. The gravely did.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bruce.smith0817

Make sure you get a commerical model with heavery deck .I have a gravely an had good service for the 10 years I have owned it ,but I helped a good friend mow for 4 years .We mowed 26 apartments he only ran Bobcats an Scrags if I were to buy again it would be a Scrag best riding seat an very dependable all have good points an bad I don't care for the stirring ajustment on my Gravely I mow about 3 acres .The Bobcat I ran for him had 3600 hnudreds hours it never done anything to motor but serviced good air an oil change reliosly an grease regularly last for years no more than are mowing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jed clampett

TORO...CHECK THEM OUT!!

redjones

Hustler,at one time had the best warranty going.
I have a Raptor SD and its been great so far.

Greg
Semper Fi

USMC0331

How much or how many yards a week are you going to be cutting? This will determine what type of mower you will need.

guesswho

Quote from: USMC0331 on June 29, 2018, 09:20:20 PM
How much or how many yards a week are you going to be cutting? This will determine what type of mower you will need.

Maybe 3 acres a week.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff