OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

any one wear a "turkey belt" instead of a vest?

Started by adkmountainken, May 28, 2018, 09:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I have a tenzing fanny pack I've used once but it would hold a fair amount of turkey gear easily all the essentials just always throw on a vest

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RutnNStrutn

I wear a Beard Buster Belt with some extra pouches added to it. Where I hunt in Dixie a vest is way too hot!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

I ditched the vest years ago and went with a Turkey Thug waist pack. Has 16 pockets which allows you to carry more than you need.

https://goo.gl/images/NBXyaA
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

eddie234

I have one of those turkey thug fanny packs, got it at Walmart a few years ago. Use it on rainy days, fits under my rain jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bonasa

I have a thermaseat clipped to my belt, I keep a crow call in my left fleece pocket and a pot call with two different strikers in the right.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: earl9932 on May 28, 2018, 07:53:25 PM
With waist style fanny packs, to prevent from sliding down the back side, I've clipped or sewn on a pair of suspenders which works great for weight distribution and fit.
This is basically what I am thinking but may want to go with some old backpack padded straps because of the shoulder surgeries, may not be a problem by next season so suspenders may work. I have to be up in 2 hours and 35 minutes to go out for the last day but I can't sleep. I will rest in the blind before the sun comes up I guess.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

catman529

I dont wear a vest or a "turkey belt" just a belt to keep my pants on, lol. I carry my tripod and camera and my main call around my neck and whatever else fits in cargo pockets or it doesn't go

TTSpringers

I have used a Badlands Monster pack for 20 yrs. http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/packs/monster-camo-fanny-pack.  very similar to the Alps pack Sir-Diealot listed.  I add a box call holder on each side of the belt, a slate call holder to the side of each and i am set.  rain gear, pruning shears, toilet paper, thermacell all easily fit in the pouch.  i simply unbuckle when i go to sit down and set the pack between my legs.  then 2 slates sit nicely on top of the pouch along with strikers.  box calls lean up along the inside so everything is within inches of my hands.  This pack has shoulder straps that can be removed.  i dont use them but could see how some folks may like that.  Pack stays firmly in place for me even in the mountains out west.

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 31, 2018, 02:44:41 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 28, 2018, 07:24:52 PM
This is the same unit I am using but mine has an extra attachment that has a place to add shotgun shells, place to put pens, knife, strikers and other turkey related items. If I could add a padded shoulder harness it would be ideal.  Not my sale by the way. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FIELDLINE-Waist-Fanny-Pack-Camouflage-Storage-Hunting-Ammo-Outdoor-Gear/263681221231?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3De5f92fc786c74f36b6bd4dd13e1ebc10%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D322621785710%26itm%3D263681221231&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A95bbf16b-62cd-11e8-8e83-74dbd1809d33%7Cparentrq%3Aa90cc1141630a990e6a5e16cfffa85a6%7Ciid%3A1
Well then you're back to what essentially is a strap vest aren't you?
Sometimes I am a bit dense, I am not understanding what you are getting at. Here are pics of that attachment I was talking about. I keep my conditioning items in the little plastic pocket that you see in there.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Tail Feathers

What I was referring to is the fanny pack with the shoulder straps.  If it has shoulder straps doesn't that make it a vest of sorts?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 31, 2018, 07:48:27 PM
What I was referring to is the fanny pack with the shoulder straps.  If it has shoulder straps doesn't that make it a vest of sorts?
No not at all, makes it more a Bat-Man Utility Harness :) A vest has a lot more fabric to it and in may ways would not be as mobile as far as being able to take it off, set it down in front of you and see all your gear. A vest taken off lays flat and would have many of it's pockets covered and would have to be flipped around to access it and all where the wait pack sits more upright when laid out.

John Koenig:

Happy

No not at all, makes it more a Bat-Man Utility Harness A vest has a lot more fabric to it and in may ways would not be as mobile as far as being able to take it off, set it down in front of you and see all your gear. A vest taken off lays flat and would have many of it's pockets covered and would have to be flipped around to access it and all where the wait pack sits more upright when laid out.

Do you have to wear spandex with that? Or a mask? Lot of brier thickets where I hunt so it could be problematic. That and I am not liking the idea of having a sidekick who also wears spandex that goes by "boy wonder" hanging around. Sounds a little suspect to me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on June 01, 2018, 08:59:48 AM
No not at all, makes it more a Bat-Man Utility Harness A vest has a lot more fabric to it and in may ways would not be as mobile as far as being able to take it off, set it down in front of you and see all your gear. A vest taken off lays flat and would have many of it's pockets covered and would have to be flipped around to access it and all where the wait pack sits more upright when laid out.

Do you have to wear spandex with that? Or a mask? Lot of brier thickets where I hunt so it could be problematic. That and I am not liking the idea of having a sidekick who also wears spandex that goes by "boy wonder" hanging around. Sounds a little suspect to me.
Brother, if I wore spandex I would look like a water buffalo in pantyhose! You are okay with the sidekick in spandex so long as you "Wonder Boy" does not live with you like Dick Grayson did Bruce Wayne.

John Koenig:

Happy

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 01, 2018, 09:57:07 AM
Quote from: Happy on June 01, 2018, 08:59:48 AM

Brother, if I wore spandex I would look like a water buffalo in pantyhose! You are okay with the sidekick in spandex so long as you "Wonder Boy" does not live with you like Dick Grayson did Bruce Wayne.
Glad to see you have a sense of humor.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club