Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Memories made...

Started by Roost 1, May 27, 2018, 10:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost 1

Was able to make a trip to Michigan with my buddy, Todd, who has stage 4 cancer. Neither of us had ever hunted in Michigan before, heck I hadn't ever even been to Michigan.
We left out Thursday afternoon and drove all night to get to my buddies farm at 2:30am. Got stuff together and took a nap from 3:15 to about 4:45. I could not believe the amount of gobbling we heard both on the roost and after flydown, unfortunately all birds were on neighboring properties.
Well after checking with my buddy who was letting us hunt and telling him about seeing gobblers on one neighbors place, he said let me call and ask if it's ok to go over there. Well sure enough he gained us permission and although it took most of the day we were able to get in the right spot that evening that allowed Todd to get his bird. Saturday was very humid, not nearly as much gobbling but i was able to get on a bird but then the farmer showed up to plant the field and I assume all the noise shut the bird up. So I went to another property the farmer had been seeing some birds but I was in the wrong spot that evening however that allowed me to know where to be this morning. Makes for a short hunt when they fly down in your lap. No upgrade but a solid 3yr old. Allows me to mark another state off the list. Most importantly I was blessed to be able to spend time with one of my best friends who I have traveled many miles with all over the country chasing these crazy birds for the last 25yrs or so. We were able to reflect back on our younger days and some of the good and many bad hunts we shared together. It's funny how the most unsuccessful hunts are the ones you remember the most. Without a doubt though this will be one the most memorable hunts of them all. I'd ask you guys to please keep Todd in your prayers,  we would be very thankful and appreciative.

Improvinghunter101

Congratulations on a successful trip!  Prayers sent his way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Congratulations on the bird and prayers sent.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

hookedspur

Awesome brother ,well done.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

spurman

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

ThunderChickenHunter21

He will be in my prayers. Looks like you made some great memories

cmadams

Congrats and prayers!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

honker22

That's awesome Roost.  Congrats to ya'll.  I've got some close friends that are battling for their lives right now too.  Cancer sucks!  I will pray for your buddy.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Captain Hooks

Congrats!! Sending a  prayer to your buddy

wvmntnhick

Congrats to both of ya. Praying for ur friend.