OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard xr vs. longbeard xr magnum

Started by kellyguinn, May 23, 2018, 12:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellyguinn

Has anyone done any comparisons on these? I am wondering if the extra shot in the magnums is worth the loss of 150 fps. I have searched the site and nothing stood out to me so if this is duplicated somewhere I am sorry.

Liljake

I was wondering the same,  since I'm using a 20 inch barrel I opted to stay with the faster load. I'm more than happy with the pattern I get at 40 yards w/ #5s. 150fps is about a 12% loss in velocity.
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Prohunter3509

Yes it is worth the difference in my gun
The slower speed really groups the shot more even
1200 I have a  good grouping the 1050 wraps that puppy up
Shooting a silver with it 665

outdoorsmen

I wanted the same thing I kind of hate it when they give us too many choices. I to attend to opt for more shot instead of high velocity but I get the higher velocity therefore will hit harder and maintain that in a longer distance. The slower is going to not hit his heart I understand that too. I also understand that the faster load once it drops below supersonic is going to have that transition wave catch up with it and potentially blow the pattern.

tnanh

I shoot the 3 inch # 6 Magnum out of an old single shot I have and it gets a super even pattern at 40 with 205 in the 10. I shot a turkey at 30-35 yard with that load the first week of May and it killed good. He didn't even flop any more after I got to him. I hav a photo of the 205 I will try to find and post. The 205 was with a Sumtoy 665.

kellyguinn

I've been looking at patterns and no one ever says which version they were using lol.

coyote1

Both loads pattern good. The 1 7/8 load patterns a little more even. The 1 3/4 is tighter at 40 yards. I don't count 10" numbers but go by what i visually see on target if that makes sense. I would try both in your gun and pick the best pattern.