turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Put turkeys in the NWTF record book?

Started by idgobble, May 11, 2018, 09:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

I have recorded two, I think. Both easterns. I did it because I'd like to harvest a grand slam and, to do that, you have to register them. Neither was huge but, like someone else said, they're all trophies in one way or another.
I guess as long as it doesn't get to the level of bass tournaments, it's o.k. I hate to degrade a turkey by making it some sort of symbol of one's ego. Just doesn't seem right to me...

TauntoHawk

I love the fact when I say I killed a turkey the first question isn't "what did he score" like with deer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

Historically speaking, the record keeping system was the brain-child of Col. Dave Harbour back in the late 70's/early 80's..  His intent was noble,...to recognize exceptional wild turkeys (and I suppose to some degree, the hunter involved) based on the three parameters that were considered to be "important" to turkey hunters.  He and his wife kept the records for a few years before the NWTF took it over.  If I was to guess, I think that transfer occurred due to the fact that keeping the records was becoming too much of a burden on an elderly couple.

I'm not sure just how much thought Dave put into the scoring system, but I personally do not believe he really truly contemplated all of the factors and their relative importance.  Really, does "the weight, plus two times the beard length, plus ten times the spur length" actually fit in terms of relevance?  Seems pretty simplistic to me.

The flaws in the scoring method aside, the accepted system at least gives us a method of comparing turkeys,...both in terms of subspecies characteristics as well as regional variations within individual subspecies.  That, in itself, has some value to both turkey hunters that might be interested in such things and to wildlife professionals, as well.

There is no doubt that the NWTF has turned the record-keeping system into a money-making mechanism.  Does anybody really believe they have to validate their turkey by paying the NWTF twenty-five bucks (or whatever it is now) to "register" it? 

Having said all of that, I do believe there is merit in having truly exceptional turkeys noted in some recorded form.  If nothing else, it gives us a method of comparing a gobbler we might have shot with the very best specimens from a subspecies and/or region.  I have submitted one such gobbler to the record book,...for his recognition, not mine.

dejake

I never have, and never will.  The scoring system, to me, is subjective.  The best bird (in my book) I've ever killed sported a 1" beard.  Both spurs were over 1 1/2 inches.  To me, that's a trophy bird.

AndyH

Never have and never will. I just don't see the point in making turkey hunting in to a pecker measuring Contest like deer hunting has done. For me I just like to hunt and call for my kids and friends.

ncturkey

I have never registered a bird with the NWTF. I have thought about entering one of each species. I do not care about get recognition for the a record bird. I just want the pins you get for each bird.

eggshell

QuoteI guess if he feeds them enough corn he might get them up to 28 lbs.  You could shove a bunch of lead sinkers down their throats, too.  That would help.

I actually knew a guy who shoved shotgun shells down their throats. He always had heavy birds when I ran our local check station. one day I grabbed his bird by the throat and felt a lump move, I kept squeezing and out popped a shell from the birds mouth. After that I would never record weights from his birds.

I have never registered any....I'm not paying $25.00 to get my name on a list that means nothing. I killed one bird that would be no. 6 over all and someone else tried to claim him, he asked me for a picture and a copy of the check slip and I later found out he claimed he killed it....

Tail Feathers

I could be in the top 20 and my grandson could be in the top 10 in Texas if we had registered birds. I've compared a few really nice birds to those in the record book, but I've never registered one with the NWTF.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

3chunter

:gobble:I just started entering mine so that it will show once I get a grand slam, royal, world.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: ncturkey on January 04, 2019, 01:30:32 PM
I have never registered a bird with the NWTF. I have thought about entering one of each species. I do not care about get recognition for the a record bird. I just want the pins you get for each bird.
I just like nuturkey did it for the pins, I have three other Grand Slams not registered. This past year I did registered a double Single year Grand Slam. My only personal regret is that I didn't have enough time to shoot my second Easter Turkey on public land. Seven Birds were taken on Public Land and my last one on my own private land. Some thing a lot of people could accomplish if given the time off to keep hunting.

BBR12

I have registered one in each state I have killed in. I am chasing the super slam which started after killing a grand slam. I have never done it to kill the biggest and get bragging rights or whatever. I eventually plan to do me some type of display with the pins that they send you.