News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It was a pretty good week

Started by Yoder409, May 11, 2018, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Me and brother took a road trip.

We started in Wyoming and I must say............Wyoming gobblers are the most IGNORANT birds I ever tried to kill in my life !!  But Saturday morning, at 5:45 I evened the score just a little.  About 3 minutes after flydown, this guy popped over a roll at26 yards and ingested a Longbeard XR.  Really nice spurs for a Merriam's but weighed maybe 14-15 pounds.  He was an old warrior.

Exactly an hour later and a mile away, my brother brought a horse of a strutting snow-tip over a rise with his hens and laid him to rest with a 20-ish yard shot.

So, with Nebraska our next stop, we headed east and on Sunday afternoon, brother's Winchester 1300 spoke again and his first Nebraska bird was down.

Monday morning brought us back to the same area as we had heard multiple gobbling birds the previous afternoon.  I stayed low and brother started for the top of the world.  Shortly after flydown time, a big old boss came pushing 10 hens up an old road right toward me.  But, in range, but behind the last few limbs before I could shoot, the whole wad of them cut up over the mountain like a herd of bighorn. My brother spent the rest of the morning playing cat & mouse with them but never quite winning.  Meanwhile.............some more loud work from the boxcall (30-40 mph winds in the bottom) brought a nice gobbler with his two hens up the same road and I had MY first Nebraska bird.

So that afternoon we decided to hunt together in a creek bottom, set up on either side of a BIG old cottonwood tree.  Brother was to handle any bird that came from his side and me mine.  His side had a bird commit first and another Longbeard XR through his 1300 and...............

I had switched over to my SumToy enhanced NEF 20 gauge for the afternoon hunt.  About an hour after my brother's bird kicked up dust, a bird gobbled waaaaaaaaaay up a road into the mountain.  I fired up a loudmouthed boxcall and he answered.  Next time he gobbled he was somewhat closer.  Then he gobbled with another bird and they were MUCH closer..........like 300-400 yards back over my left shoulder.  Don't know where the second bird got to.  But a few minutes later, I see a bird jogging down the road to my left and a beard swinging in front of him.  He stopped up short of where I was expecting him to and left the road for a climb up the mountain away from me.  I scooted the red dot in his direction and when he cleared a downed limb on the hillside, I loosed a swarm of Heavyweight 7's and he went lights-out.  I had my second Nebraska Merriam's.

Agreeing that neither of us really had a need to buy and fill a 3rd Nebraska tag, we packed up and left for home Tuesday morning, arriving home 3600+ miles later around 7:00 PM Wednesday night.

Yesterday morning, I headed up to one of my favorite crime scenes on our property.   I hunted/dodged raindrops til shortly after 10:00 when a nice, sharp spurred bird came strutting in and at 31 yards, fell to that little 20 gauge single.

All this from Saturday to Thursday and AFTER getting to watch my daughter ice a VERY solid bird on youth day..............

If it gets ANY better than this in THIS life, I don't know how that could be..............
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

J-Shaped

I'd call that a pretty strong run. Congrats.

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to you all

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Jroddc

1iagobblergetter

Hard to get any better than that!! Congrats !!

zsully

Congrats Yoder on a fine week.

Rapscallion Vermilion

jed clampett

Congrats..awesome trip..and then to have your daughter get one....priceless!!!

roverboy

Wow! Congratulations. All nice birds.
Listen for the gobble

paboxcall

Showed those birds 'what brown can do for them!' Ha!

:blob10:

Way to go brother!
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Rio Fan

That's a GREAT week. Congrats to you, your daughter, and your brother!

Happy

Congrats. Looks like you fellas had fun

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Improvinghunter101

Congratulations on a stellar week!  Private or public ground out in Nebraska?  Just got done having my butt whooped for a week over in that corner of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Looks like you had a great trip
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoder409

Quote from: Improvinghunter101 on May 12, 2018, 09:37:37 AMPrivate or public ground out in Nebraska? 

Private in Nebraska.  Public in Wyoming.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.