OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting with kids

Started by jshark14, May 10, 2018, 05:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshark14

Bought a Persimmon Hill anodized aluminum call in walnut pot about two years ago, and due to my pot call addiction, it's never been hunted. I finally put it in the vest this season. Called in 4 birds with this little gem...two for myself and two for friends. The second bird I called in was on a hunt with my 6 year old son, and the bird spooked due to some inopportune head movement by my son. We didn't put any feathers in the truck. (Yes, I realize we could've been in a blind, and further adjustments will probably be made on our next hunting trip. We both learned from this hunt.) Anyway, I sent Jim Shelley an email telling him about the success I had with his call and the story about the hunt with my little guy. He was very gracious and asked if he could send my little boy a personalized box call. Of course my 6 year old was thrilled and thinks he's big stuff since he has his own personalized call! All that to say, great call, even better guy. Just thought this story was too cool not to share.

Now for my question. For those of you who hunt or have hunted with your kids, is a blind the way to go, or do you just let them mess up a few hunts until they can learn to sit still? I realize 6 is young, but he seems to enjoy it, and I certainly enjoy taking him along from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

The blind is a personal decision. I elected not to. I started mine at 8 years old and he killed his first longbeard at 10. I did use a hen decoy though. This year it's been a straight up no blinds, or decoys ordeal. He has done been busted twice. Once by birds at about 20 yards and once by one he thought was out of sight but he was wrong. He is 14 now and knows better. He still says he is done with the decoys though and I respect that. It's when times get lean that you find out what your made of.
So anyways you have to make that decision. 6 is a pretty young age to try and get to hold still, let alone adjust and shoot a gobbler.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tomstopper

I don't mind using a blind with kids, especially if it's raining. They get excited and don't sit still so while in the blind I still stress being still. Whatever makes you and him feel comfortable, I say go for it

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Never had a kid turkey hunting with me but have had some along deer hunting and I think they can be a big help. That said it is a personal choice, I have to use one because of some problems I have that cause me to move a lot but if I were able to do it without one I would much rather not use one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: tomstopper on May 10, 2018, 06:52:19 PM
I don't mind using a blind with kids, especially if it's raining. They get excited and don't sit still so while in the blind I still stress being still. Whatever makes you and him feel comfortable, I say go for it

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I don't mind using blinds if it's raining for myself. Lol...I don't see anything wrong with blinds if anyone wants to use them especially a kid. I prefer to not use one the majority of the time,but if it's raining I'm not staying home and I'm smart enough and not proud enough to not use one.
If you take your child and never seem to fill a tag is your child going to keep at it long enough until he or she can sit still long enough to fill one?
Use your own judgement and know matter what remember they are a child and have fun. The youth years go fast.

howl

Kinda depends on your priorities. I treat hunting with kids as old school classes. Killing a bird at all costs is not a lesson I want to teach. I teach: do it the right way and success will come. And have fun doing it!

WNCTracker

You asked for opinions so I'm giving you mine. (everyone can do what's Fun for them)
I say let him learn to blend into the woods and move like he belongs there.  Let him feel like he's a part of Mother Nature and not secluded from it. Let him be disappointed (and you) and mess up. Build the fire in the belly to do better. Then they're hooked on hunting, not killing.

Marc

I have taken my little girls hunting, and each girl has been a different experience... 

I would recommend some type of blind, and I have used a leafy ground blind on stakes...  Something that they can see through that keeps them hidden...

This season, I ended up killing a bird with each of my young girls, and we were not in a blind for either bird...  But the bird I killed with my youngest was a miracle (I was literally holding her down with one hand, holding the gun with the other, and calling with the mouth call).

Here is the blind I generally use with the kids:
http://www.hunterspec.com/product/collapsible-super-light-portable-ground-blind

You have to remember that it is a different experience to take a child, and there are (or should be) some different activities and expectations.   Walking with my oldest (at 7 years old), I saw a pine cone on the logging road as something to avoid stepping on, and she saw as something to stop and investigate...

As birds are gobbling and coming in, they might see a frog , hawk, or coyote that interests them far more than the bird you are working...

I make sure they have binoculars that they can use, a box call that they can play, and that they have a "job" to do while turkey hunting.   

I also make sure I have some activities that are fun and rewarding after sitting quietly and still for extended periods of time...  Whether it be sitting on my lap and driving the truck down a dirt road, taking the quad for a ride, looking for or trying to catch frogs, pollywogs, or even bluegill in the pond after hunting, etc...  The drive home always consists of stopping for pancakes...

And, the "not talking" is the most difficult and least fun aspect of turkey hunting for the kids (and most of the adults) I have taken...  I made it more fun by coming up with some goofy hand signals...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jshark14

Thanks for the opinions and ideas. I appreciate it.

3bailey3

Man Jonathan all I can tell you is enjoy every minute off it!!

Wigsplitter

Blinds and decoys are good tools for carrying kids in my opinion. My daughter killed her first gobbler at 15 years old this year and it was a cold windy day that would have been miserable sitting by a tree - we probably would have already been gone if it were not for the blind. Turkey comes in silent from behind us and we are able to switch seats and do a 180 to get into position to take the gobbler. Without it no turkey in this situation.  First couple of hunts to get used to turkey hunting and keeping movements to a minimum it's a excellent tool!!

akp

Popups are perfect for hunting with kids.  Also, I'm not above taking one if I know its a place without a good place to setup or if its raining.

zelmo1

Until they can sit still. every kid is different, then a blind is the way to go. Alps is making a new light weight low profile blind that looks awesome. Just my  :z-twocents: Al Baker

CALLM2U

As others have said, it's personal preference. 

I grew up hunting before the blind days and my dad had me in the woods while I was still in diapers.  I got busted a lot, backed up against a tree or sitting in between his legs. 

My dad was about as big of turkey hunter as you'll find but he never, ever got mad when I screwed up one of his hunts.  He considered it part of the learning experience and each time out, he taught me something else.  I am SOOO grateful for his wisdom.

My daughter is 6 now and will start next year.  I plan to take the same approach as my dad and if I'm half as good of a teacher as my dad was, then she'll be just fine.  I can't wait!

MK M GOBL

I have done a lot of youth hunts, learn to hunts and mentor programs over the years and have hunted both with and without blinds, with and without decoys. The biggest thing to keep in mind is letting them enjoy the hunt, the rest is just details... Everyone has their own style of hunting and can't see the great debate over this myself, there are times I use a blind and times I use decoys just like times I don't, as I say Just Tools in the Shed.

MK M GOBL