OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

does this look normal for mossberg barrel?

Started by outdoorsmen, May 10, 2018, 02:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsmen

Got a good deal on a 500, i sold the 28" mod barrel and bought a 24" off ebay. I did the deep clean and polished but the rib studs can be seen as bumps inside the barrel primarily toward the muzzle. Back by the chamber seems rough/course.  I used scoth brite, flitz polish, 0000 steel wool, gun scrubber,  hoppes 9, blu, cr-10. Everytime i switch cleaner i get a dirty patch.
[/URL] [/img]
[/URL] [/img]

longislandloco

I have seen that on some Mossberg barrels and also on some Remington 870 barrels, the QC varies from time to time on both.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: longislandloco on May 10, 2018, 04:32:31 PM
I have seen that on some Mossberg barrels and also on some Remington 870 barrels, the QC varies from time to time on both.
You need one machined on Tue thru Thurs..Stay away from the Monday and Friday ones... :icon_thumright:...Have you had a chance to shoot it to see what it will or won't do? If not I'd do that before i worried to much...Hope it patterns like a Gem for you.  :you_rock:

howl

Yup. Bet it works plenty well enough anyway.

outdoorsmen

No haven't shot it.  Just got delievered yesterdau and neen cleaning it today. Was wantimg to shoot longbeards #5, 3" , 1 7/8 ox load. Prob get the lb choke. I dont want to get fancy with this thing. Its just a beater raining day i dont care about it gun. So it will hardly get used.

ShootingABN!

I've never seen that before.....

However pop that pattern board and tell us how it goes?

mightyjoeyoung

I posted a thread about almost the same thing less than a month ago on here.  For some reason Mossberg feels it's ok to send out barrels that look like a troop of brain damaged chimps made them.   
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

strum

If it make you feel any better i have those exact same bumps in my Mossberg 500 barrel. It shoots fine.

TURKEY MASTER

Izzyjoe

I have the exact bumps in my barrel, but mine is slightly bent upward, and I assume that's what cause the spots were the rib meets the barrel. Even though mine is bent upward it shoots poa/poi fine, I would think it would shoot high, but doesn't.

KYStalker

My 935 barrel is bent slightly upwards, it shoots high but with adjustable sights it's been lined out.
If you're not first, your last!!

trkehunr93

I would be wary of the barrels off of ebay, especially the ones that do not provide a pic of the inside of the barrel.  I've noticed some are made overseas.  See what mossberg says...

outdoorsmen

I shot it and it seems ok, a bit left but that may have been me since i was in a hurry.

Longbeard 1.75oz #5

Twowithone

Put you a scope on there and your gold from there. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

taylorjones20

Yep, looks "normal" for a mossturd!   :TooFunny:  jk mossbergs guys... don't ban me lol
Alive only by the Grace Of God