OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Clean miss...Dang it!!!

Started by Cut N Run, May 10, 2018, 11:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomfoolery

Seems like the misses come when u are having a tough run. The 1 bird ive ever missed i was on a 3 year dry spell and the 1 time my wife decided to come with me i struck a bird and he was at 25 yards in less than 5 minutes. I rushed and didnt put my head down and shot right over him. My wife said the looks she saw on my face she didnt even want to move from where she sat lol. Said i had rage in my eyes! Lol she hasnt been back since and i havent missed a bird since haha

Marc

Quote from: Tomfoolery on May 10, 2018, 08:15:18 PM
My wife said the looks she saw on my face she didnt even want to move from where she sat lol. Said i had rage in my eyes! Lol she hasnt been back since and i havent missed a bird since haha
I do not remember all the shots I have "made" on birds that I killed...

But I certainly remember the miss from 20+ years ago...  It still makes me angry to think about it.

I also had a miss more recently (last season), but the bird gave me another chance, and I did not make the same mistake...

I am a bit older, and would like to think more mature, but after missing that first shot, I believe I felt my head beginning to explode I was so angry...  And then his head popped back up in that tall grass a second time...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

saltysenior

there was a fence post at 40 yrds....the turkey stayed about 55 yrds away before he left...he slowly returned and I said if he comes past the pole i'll shoot.....had the gun right on him while he came closer...perfect hold right on his neck and i shot at 38 yrds......he jumped and hit the ground at 65mph..I still believe you can not call that a ''miss''...

Tail Feathers

All my shots on toms have connected.
Some connected with leaves and trees and some just hit dirt but most of em hit a turkey.  :turkey2:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

High plains drifter

I have missed one bird, that was flying.I have wounded one bird, and did not find him.30 years of bird hunting. They usually come in so close, that I would freak if I missed.

Cut N Run

I wounded and lost one gobbler in 2004 that I shot at 36 yards.  Then I missed a huge gobbler at 8 yards ( he saw me move the gun and I shot the waist-sized pine tree he ran behind) in 2012.  Every other turkey I dropped the hammer on since I started in 1982 has worn my tag, so I don't make a habit of missing.  I wasn't really due to miss, but my lack of focus and attention earned it for me.  I keep seeing it replay over, and over, and over in my mind's eye.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

RS

Really sorry to hear about your miss.  I've been there and know it tough. I've had a lot more misses at close range than at long range.

kjnengr

Quote from: guesswho on May 10, 2018, 06:45:05 PM
It happens to most.  But I can honestly say I have never missed in 50 plus years of turkey hunting! 

Now I have fired my share of warning shots during that timeframe.

I always knew you were a sportsman........ givin' them a fighting chance. 

JMalin

A red dot will fix the over the top misses.  I'll never go back to a bead or fiber optic sight.

zelmo1

The only sure fix to never miss is to never shoot. Stay on him brother.  :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

High plains drifter

Quote from: Cut N Run on May 10, 2018, 11:41:16 PM
I wounded and lost one gobbler in 2004 that I shot at 36 yards.  Then I missed a huge gobbler at 8 yards ( he saw me move the gun and I shot the waist-sized pine tree he ran behind) in 2012.  Every other turkey I dropped the hammer on since I started in 1982 has worn my tag, so I don't make a habit of missing.  I wasn't really due to miss, but my lack of focus and attention earned it for me.  I keep seeing it replay over, and over, and over in my mind's eye.

Jim
. I missed a bird flying out over this canyon, at 60 yards.Its just as well, because there was a 200 ft. Drop.It would have taken 2 hours to get down there, and the mountain lions were down there anyway.

Cut N Run

Quote from: JMalin on May 11, 2018, 09:11:25 AM
A red dot will fix the over the top misses.  I'll never go back to a bead or fiber optic sight.

Kinda hate to admit this, but I was shooting a Burris Fast Fire II on a Speed Bead mount on my Benelli SBE II.  That Fast Fire is 8 m.o.a and the dot was big & bright enough to lose some of the gobbler's head in the sight picture.  It was the first time I ever had the sight blank out part of my target and it was my first miss since I added the that sight to the gun 6 years ago.  I ordered a Fast Fire III with 3 m.o.a. to replace the FF II late last night.  I spend too much time, money, & effort on turkey hunting to have my equipment hinder performance.  The new sight won't get here in time to help this turkey season, but I'll have plenty of time to get familiar with it.

To be fair, I have killed plenty of gobblers at that time of day and at that distance ( and closer) with that gun & sight combination.  The bottom line is; I was an idiot operator who rushed the shot and didn't concentrate on making the shot count.  It's just another day in turkey school and I got re-educated the hard way.

We'll see what tomorrow morning brings.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Happy hooker

This / is a positive,,gives you an excuse to buy a new gun.

owlhoot

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 10, 2018, 06:09:47 PM
Yes it even happens to seasoned veterans. Good luck on you next hunts.

I was watching 411 with CUZ, and they showed Paul B miss one, Mark and CUZ were all hunting together. Great show.

Good luck everyone. ;)

Yep anyone can miss.
Now that video you refer to. That shot was said by them to be 50 yards or over. Also it sure looked like a shot at 3 or 4 of them toms out there bunched up .

Tnwoodsman

Misses happen, don't let it get inside your head