Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Has Winchester Always Been The Best Turkey Ammo?

Started by maddog3355, May 05, 2018, 07:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

Quote from: Happy on May 05, 2018, 09:07:58 PM

Admittedly that "Shot-Lok" resin in the Winchester loads appears to be a game-changer by all acounts.  I do wonder if it could be a potentential handi-cap at closer ranges with overly tight patterns though?

I have just switched over to longbeards this season and still have a volleyball sized pattern at 20 yards.

I was concerned about this also. I went from a .665 to .670. Pattern went from softball size to volleyball size at 15yd and still have a very good hunting pattern at 40yd using 1 3/4oz 5's.

zelmo1

I shoot longboards out of my Browning Gold with a Patternmaster Code Black Turkey choke , .680 . It is a rifle inside 25 yards. In my 12 ga, I will never shoot anything but Longbeards.   :z-twocents:

1iagobblergetter

I bought a box of Longbeards thinking I'd make the switch if I didn't have to buy a new choke. Tried the 2 different chokes I had for the gun I wanted to shoot them through and my 40yd pattern was horrible. Most generally I never shoot one that far,but want a capable pattern.

RailRoader

For me it's been Wicnchester. I started out shooting the supreme high velocity. Killed several birds with the #6s. But I've switched to Nitro now. Long beards would be my next choice.

RED NECK

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Gooserbat

I'm not saying the best but since about 1994 until I started handloading a few years ago I shoot either Winchester or Federal. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 06, 2018, 06:35:11 AM
I believe Winchester is having some quality control issues with current production. Shells coming a part in the gun before fired. Just saying I've seen a lot of people upset on social media....

Good luck everyone. ;)
Shells have been coming apart since they have brought them out. The plastic overshot card can fall apart quarter,half or all. Longbeard loads. Some have some shot rattled around in shell.
Been posted on here in the past.
Watching The Untamed episode 10 . Leads off with a bad primer and later a wounded bird .
Range they said 50?
Winchester black shells .

kyturkeyhunter4

I'm a winchester guy i guess I've been shooting them since day one and I don't see my self switching any time soon. Like the old saying goes if it's not broke don't fix it

roverboy

I've never shot any of the heavy shot loads like TSS or Hevi 13. But, Longbeard #4 are pretty good in my Model 500. I wish the Activ ammo would come back.
Listen for the gobble

larry9988

I loved Winchester extended range shells until they stopped making them. I then switched to Federal Hevi weight 7's. The Fed 7's pattern really good out of my gun. When I could not find them anymore, I bought a box of Long Beards. They just do not pattern for me. I used the last three Fed Hevi 7's I had to hunt with this year. Three shots, Three dead turkeys. I will try some TSS after season when they become available, I sure hope they work since I can no longer get the Win. Ext. range or Fed. Hevi 7's. we will see.

Uncle Nicky

roverboy

Listen for the gobble

dutch@fx4

I always has the best results with federal flight controlled was shells .until I made the switch to Winchester long beards.
I still like the federal and when the new TSS #7 shot shows up in ontario I will be giving them a try

Bowguy

Guess it's deprnds how far back you go. Was a time when Turkey specific loads were limited. Funny guys say they liked the federals best than. Out of my ten gauge there was no question, pattern tests showed them by far the best.
But my 12 gauges seemed always to like the Winchesters better than federal or Remington. I should add in the 10 ga I mentioned the Remington's were right close to the federals.

hd mike

I also remember the Supreme's. They patterned good out of my A-5.
But my SX-3 with the Long Beard choke tube and LB XR's 3" in 5 shot is unbelievable out to 55 yds.