OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Creating killzone for Turkeys

Started by vpsalin, April 29, 2018, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpsalin

Has anyone tried this strategy before? I'm thinking of moving the brush piles around my ground blind into areas that are already in my blind spot areas making them redundant blind spots. That way the turkeys 'feel' hidden, but in fact they are in my clear line of sight. Could this work, doubling my range this way, I'm confident to 60 yards with my shotgun?

1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

JMalin

I think you're overthinking it personally, but I have no idea what kind of birds you're hunting or how much hunting pressure they are under.

tomstopper

Quote from: vpsalin on April 29, 2018, 09:16:27 PM
Has anyone tried this strategy before? I'm thinking of moving the brush piles around my ground blind into areas that are already in my blind spot areas making them redundant blind spots. That way the turkeys 'feel' hidden, but in fact they are in my clear line of sight. Could this work, doubling my range this way, I'm confident to 60 yards with my shotgun?

I really hope your joking about 60yards. Shooting at paper at that yardage is a lot different than shooting through skin, bone ,and brain tissue.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

mightyjoeyoung

Ok, so you don't post for THREE YEAR and your last post was about severely misjudging the range on a "40 yard bird" that ended up being almost 30 yards further.  You get TORN TO PIECES over that and told multiple times about the forum rules about posting shots further than 40 yards and your first post back is about being good to 60 yards??? Are you serious or just plain ignorant?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Marc

I am not set up in any permanent type of blinds...  But the first thing I do sitting against a tree is to look at the terrain and find range markers (i.e. once the bird is closer than that bush, rock, or tree I can shoot with confidence).  With wind, my range moves in  considerably.

40 yards is my limit, and my load/choke/gun combination will put patterns out to 45 yards that will kill birds consistently (in case I make a poor judgement call).

My father gave me the best advice ever when it comes to shooting game...  "If you think you can probably make the shot, it is too far.  You should KNOW you are going to make the shot when you pull the trigger..."

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cut N Run

I am forced to hunt a natural blind of downed trees because property boundaries restrict me from going to where I'd rather hunt.  When those trees came down they broke branches off surrounding trees that I made brush piles behind and off to the sides of downed trees to force the turkeys to travel to more open areas.  It definitely works.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

GobbleNut

If I was hunting in a situation where I was confined to a small area, I might consider doing what you are talking about if the conditions called for it.  That situation would most often be one where I knew I would be hunting the same limited location day after day,...and if that were the case, I would most likely make those modifications to the site well before the hunting season in an effort to allow the birds to adjust and establish the desired movement pattern through the area.  ....Other than that, it seems like a lot of unnecessary effort. 

On the other hand, when establishing a temporary set-up somewhere that I may be planning on sitting and waiting for a while, I will take the time to make strategic, minor modifications,...such as clipping branches out of the way for gun swing or sighting, or moving a particular obstacle from an anticipated shooting lane. 

Gobble!

mightyjoeyoung

Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.