OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

gps handheld or app recommendation

Started by DirtNap647, April 29, 2018, 08:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

I killed two public land birds in Alabama this year and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten either one without using OnX. One I was able to find a different approach into a turkey from the week before and the other bird I spotted on some private, drive way around in my truck, climbed in from the backside and called two gobblers right in to me. I also like how you can view all your waypoints on the laptop. My only complaint is the satellite imagery is a little outdated. A lot of areas that look like woods have been clear cut.  I would say it had been my most important tool this year in the turkey woods. It's giving me the confidence to go on some big walks and do lots of exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamjimmychew

I'm also going to speak up for OnX maps.  I think it's the most versatile option out there.  You can use it on your tablet, PC, phone, or even update your handheld GPS chip to include your OnX data.  If you're a MeatEater Podcast listener, you're probably aware of the coupon code meateater to save a few bucks off the subscription as well.  For ~$2/month it's pretty tough to beat.  I don't know how many hours I've spent "E-Scouting" by checking public land, or digging up private land info from OnX.  Below are a few screenshots of what you can do with it.

Cheers,
Jimmy

(Click images for larger views)

You can mark areas to easily reference...

Make waypoints to save hunt/scout data (and also see land owner info to know where you are)

bratya po oruzhiyu

akp

How do you all deal with battery life on your phone out in the field?  Would eat mine up pretty quick. 

kjnengr

Quote from: akp on May 02, 2018, 09:13:46 AM
How do you all deal with battery life on your phone out in the field?  Would eat mine up pretty quick.

Auxiliary batteries that can be connected to your phone.  Also, there are solar chargers that will charge an auxiliary battery if you are camping and away from electricity.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Cell-Phones-Accessories-Portable-Phone-Power-Banks/zgbs/wireless/7073960011

tha bugman

I love my Garmin 62S and I also got the onX app this year and really like it as well

iamjimmychew

With OnX you can download the map/s you want to have handy.  If you do this, and set the mobile device to airplane mode, you can maximize your battery time in the field; or, as others have mentioned, carry a small powerpack to re/charge.
bratya po oruzhiyu

Big Jeremy

Quote from: iamjimmychew on May 02, 2018, 01:31:19 PM

With OnX you can download the map/s you want to have handy.  If you do this, and set the mobile device to airplane mode, you can maximize your battery time in the field; or, as others have mentioned, carry a small powerpack to re/charge.

This is what I do if I am not going to have service the whole time I am out...which is the case at all the places that I hunt except one. I turn it on airplane mode, and have a pocket juice portable charger that I got at Walmart for $15 that will charge my phone 3-4 times completely before needing to recharge the portable charger. The portable charger only weighs half a pound at the most.

As for waterproofing, put your phone in a ziplock bag. The touchscreen/thumbprint unlocking/face recognition will all still work through the ziplock bag, and it keeps it completely dry. Kind of like what folks do putting a box call in a bread bag to keep it dry.

Tracker12

I have GAIA gps and onX.  I prefer GAIA if you want it for navagtion. That being said I am never without my Garmin Etrex legend

wade

Might not be able to buy them any more but my eTrex has gotten me out of a few jams and into at least 1. Bout as simple as it gets. It sure helped last week in SD.
Do it outdoors

tha bugman

I have noticed onX off grid does not seem to have the clearer images than when it is online....or am I doing something wrong?

akp

I purchased the onX for Oklahoma app yesterday.  I have a card that I use on my Garmin Astro unit when quail hunting.  I like the app.  You can download three different resolutions for use with the off grid.  I noticed the middle one was a bit fuzzy. 

tha bugman

Quote from: akp on May 03, 2018, 09:39:10 AM
I purchased the onX for Oklahoma app yesterday.  I have a card that I use on my Garmin Astro unit when quail hunting.  I like the app.  You can download three different resolutions for use with the off grid.  I noticed the middle one was a bit fuzzy.
I bet that is what I did wrong....need to check that.

akp

The high res option is a pretty big file though....

aclawrence

Quote from: tha bugman on May 03, 2018, 09:23:29 AM
I have noticed onX off grid does not seem to have the clearer images than when it is online....or am I doing something wrong?
When you save you should have three options for the size and resolution you save. The smallest/highest resolution which is 5 square miles usually works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grayfox

Quote from: ccleroy on April 29, 2018, 08:34:37 PM
On X Hunt
Been using a Gps for years with no problems. I've had 2 Oregon's & now I'm using a Montana with a rechargeable battery. The only negative about the Montana is it is a little heavier than the others I've had but it has a bigger screen. Never used the app's but I do like my Gps.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk