turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

gps handheld or app recommendation

Started by DirtNap647, April 29, 2018, 08:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

Can anyone recommend a GPS app or handheld that's simple to mark locations for hunting. Looking for something simple to mark say the truck or road for new land

howl

If you've got signal your phone with google maps will work OK for that. If not, get a Garmin 64 loaded with maps of where you will be. The OnX maps is the next level for both. I find a good cell signal can give as good or better a fix than the handheld recreational quality GPS.

Be aware that relying on a GPS is a great way to get completely lost. I have been truly lost twice. Both times I was relying on a new GPS.  You gotta keep track of where you are and have a compass handy even if you are using GPS.

ccleroy

The good thing about OnX is you can save maps and go offline no matter if you have cell service or not.

strum

I got a garmin 64st just a few weeks ago. still learning it . I already know its got about 100 times more features than I need but the cool thing is I can mark my truck and any way point i want .   Most of the land im hunting i really dont need it but its cool to be sitting at a tree and know the exact distance and direction to any other spots I may have marked. Its also cool to find a spot/tree
I want to hunt and be able to walk straight to it in the dark with no flashlight. gets you there with in 3 meters.
Its 25 miles to one of my spots by truck but the garmin says its 12 1/2 miles as the crow flies.

DirtNap647

Quote from: strum on April 29, 2018, 09:37:06 PM
I got a garmin 64st just a few weeks ago. still learning it . I already know its got about 100 times more features than I need but the cool thing is I can mark my truck and any way point i want .   Most of the land im hunting i really dont need it but its cool to be sitting at a tree and know the exact distance and direction to any other spots I may have marked. Its also cool to find a spot/tree
I want to hunt and be able to walk straight to it in the dark with no flashlight. gets you there with in 3 meters.
Its 25 miles to one of my spots by truck but the garmin says its 12 1/2 miles as the crow flies.
this may be what im looking for
the onx maps how much does it cost?

deepwoods

Onx is set up as an annual subscription. You can sign up for a free week trial to give it a whirl. Here is their page-  https://www.onxmaps.com/

The Hunting Public has a great youtube video that shows how they use the program to prescout hunting places they've never been to. They also have a 20% discount code for the Onx subscription. Check it out-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PTTf-rVz0

Happy

I use the Bushnell backtrack.  You can mark 3 points on it and at least find your vehicle. It is pretty basic but it does all I need it to.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

strum

For me the more I use it the more realize I should have had this years ago.nothing beats good ole compass reading and woodsman ship but it gives me more confidence when im in unfamiliar territory. I have found Im apt to explore and branch out a little more now that i have it.
here is what has happened to me before. Shoot a deer right at dark . start tracking . finally find the deer (pitch dark) and realize I have no idea where im at. Drag the deer the longest, hardest way possible way to the truck.
With the truck way point ill now be able to see the exact direction and distance and decide the best route back .

Big Jeremy

OnXHunt is fantastic. It costs $12-15 for a single state for a year, and you can see property lines, landowner names, satellite imagery (not quite as good as google maps, IMO), topo, download maps for offline use when you don't have service, etc. Works like a charm. If you know you'll have service where you hunt, the free version (without paying for a year's subscription) is ok, as well. With as much hunting as I do on public land, I don't think I could go back to hunting without it.

ezmorningrebel

i'm still a fan of the dedicated gps unit rather than a phone.  two main reasons are they are water resistant and i can simply swap out the batteries if it dies.

DirtNap647

onx is that used to say mark your truck and then it brings you back to it or is it just maps

deepwoods

An OnX account will give you both a phone app and a web based page. It includes an aerial photo layer, topographic map layer, private ownership layer, hunting zone layers, and other options. You can enter a waypoint in either the phone app or the web page and it will show up on both.
If you are interested in marking a waypoint where your truck is parked, the phone app will mark it. There is also a distance measuring tool (how far am I from the truck??).

If you are in an area with poor cell coverage, you can download a map of the area you are interested in and the app will use the GPS on your phone to show your current location, add waypoints, etc. A backup portable phone charger might be a good thing to carry....

MK M GOBL

On the phone I use HuntStand, works great and FREE App, otherwise pickup a Garmin.

MK M GOBL

WNCTracker

I just use the free scoutlook app. Used it last weekend to work the terrain when relocating on a roosted gobbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk