turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite calls?

Started by Marc, April 29, 2018, 12:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

What is your favorite (type of) call and why?

To me, there are several factors that go into a "favorite call."  The way a call sounds, how "fun" the call is to play, sentimental value, etc.

I started turkey hunting on my own, and the only call I have of sentimental value is my first call (which actually no longer works).

Currently, I really enjoy playing scratch boxes the most in the field...  I like the simplicity and craftsmanship, they are fun to play, and they resonate a very realistic sound, especially on the subtle clucks and purrs.

I have always liked box calls... They were the first calls I learned on.  I also like the craftsmanship, and the simplicity of playing them...  I do not think there is a more realistic loud yelp than with a well-made box call.  And with some practice they will cut, purr, cluck, and yelp with the best of them.

If I could only take one type of call into the field it would be diaphragm calls...  A dozen of them take up little space in a call pouch, they are loud, realistic, and allow for the most freedom to play without movement...  They are my least favorite call to "tinker with" in the field, and the call I practice the most on (as I feel they probably require the most skill from the user).

I never really got into pot calls...  I think I would become an addict if I ever got a hold of a good one...   I remain fairly certain I would lose those little sticks (i.e. strikers) though....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bbcoach

When you ask what is your favorite call or type of call, you are talking about CONFIDENCE.  For me, it's Pot Calls.  I have confidence in my ability to Belt out a Tune on a Pot.  I have several that I carry that are my GO TOO'S that will get the job done, if the birds want to play.

tomstopper

Most confidence that I have is in my slate and glass pot calls. Over the years, the have proven deadly.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

captpete

All but one bird that I have killed were using a pot call of some kind or other. The one "odd" bird was using a box call. Of the birds taken with pot calls, I would say that 90% of them I was using slate, the other few were either glass or crystal. I can get them interested with about any surface, but it usually takes a slate to finish the deal.

I can't run a diaphram/mouth call for anything. I have practiced and tried quite a few different brands & styles.

NCL

I would add a vote for the pot call for all the reasons mentioned and the beauty of the woods on both the pot and to a certain extent the strikers.

WNCTracker

For me it's diaphragms. The movement of the pot call and inability to hold the gun in my hands always made me uneasy.  The call id like to get into would be trumpets or wing bones. I think they're cool and sound really good.

Specifically I've always touted the hooks Ex2 as my favorite until this year. Last year Gooserbat sent me a basic V cut and I didn't like it as well as my hooks so I didn't ever use. This year I gave it a try and my ears have changed. It's now my favorite call and I've killed all 4 gobblers with it. When I use the hooks now it doesn't sound as good as it once did to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Tough question but I will stick with my hen box calls. Something about the yawk on the backend that birds love. I really love trumpets . I hunt them and get by with actually calling and killing birds with one. Even after all these years I still practice year round with it. I want to be better than good with it. Pot calls are right there with my box calls. If I'm not running a box , I am usually running some type of pot.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

KentuckyHeadhunter

Trumpets and scratchboxes for me.  They have proven effective and deadly.  Once in a while I'll break out a pot or box.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 29, 2018, 10:03:41 AM
Tough question but I will stick with my hen box calls. Something about the yawk on the backend that birds love. I really love trumpets . I hunt them and get by with actually calling and killing birds with one. Even after all these years I still practice year round with it. I want to be better than good with it. Pot calls are right there with my box calls. If I'm not running a box , I am usually running some type of pot.
x2

Marc

Quote from: bbcoach on April 29, 2018, 07:14:38 AM
When you ask what is your favorite call or type of call, you are talking about CONFIDENCE.  For me, it's Pot Calls.  I have confidence in my ability to Belt out a Tune on a Pot.  I have several that I carry that are my GO TOO'S that will get the job done, if the birds want to play.
As I said, some calls you put in the vest cause they sound good, or are a good tool...  Some you put in cause you "like" to play them...

My favorites are some combination therein. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobbler428

I like trumpets and wingbones because they sound so good and are challenging to play. The fact that they bring longbeards to the gun is not a bad attribute either.

TauntoHawk

I got lots of great sounded pots and box calls, can run a mouth real well too but the scratch box dominants effectivness in the field for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chris O

I have the most experience with mouth calls and pot calls. But I have recently found trumpets and wingbones and I am obsessed with them. I have some great pot calls but I would pick the suction calls over them at the moment anyway. They are just fun to play and I can also see where scratch boxes are very under rated turkey killers they sound amazing!! I would pick trumpets, wingbones and scratch boxes.

Sir-diealot

Friction calls, pot calls to be more specific. I like the easy of use and all the different variations on this one simple call. My first turkey call was a Mad Super Crystal I got about 20 years ago, I still have one. I want to get a pot call in every color slate available and all in wood pots. I have a green on the way and red will be next. Look forward to getting copper and maybe a ceramic pot call in the future as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

What ever the birds like.  That's why I learned to run several styles and carry boxes, pots, diaphragms, wingbones, and the occasional scratch box.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.