OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help with public land in Mississippi?  (Read 12637 times)

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
Re: Help with public land in Mississippi?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »
I stayed positive. My season is over goes out 1 May, however I haven't been since last Wednesday do to family.

I spent around 70 hours hunting heard a total of 4 birds 25 gobbles..... That by far is my worst year ever turkey hunting. However this is my first year in MS and hunting 100% public. I will spend all available time locating birds before next spring season. Also put in for draw hunts in WMA's that have higher bird numbers.

However I'm open to any tips that can get me on birds for next year.....

Airborne All They Way!

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »
Mississippi, especially South Mississippi, has some real problems, re: turkeys.  I am in the worst season in over 40 years.  In Southwest Mississippi I have heard only two gobbles on the same morning, one gobble apiece from two different birds, followed shortly by a shot for each.  This is in locations that I have had good success in the past.  I went back yesterday, hoping that they may have turned on, but, nothing.  Only saw one other hunting vehicle so apparently the word has gotten out.  I was in paradise in the 80s, now there is only desolation.  I can think of several explanations, but it is likely a combination of several explanations.  I don't see turkey hunting back anytime soon.  Near extinction is my conclusion.

I know a couple older turkey hunters that have shoe boxes full of beards and spurs and they haven't killed a gobbler in Louisiana in years. I think they are stuck in the 1980's there were lots of turkeys few hunters and expanding populations. They wore the gobblers out back then they have all kinds of stories about limiting out in the first 3 days of the season then driving to Mississippi and getting 3 more in 3 days, calling up groups of two year olds etc etc. Along about the late 90's early 2000's there success ratios took a sharp decline. As the gobblers adapted to the increased pressure and more and more people took up the sport they failed to adapt. One guy in particular told me this season he drove to a spot opening day and heard one gobble one time in a place that had 8-10 gobbling on opening day 1985 I had to laugh I told him this ain't 1985 and if you heard one you were in a good spot lol. I did not hunt the early days when the turkey population was high I learned to hunt pressured birds on public land I'm kinda glad I don't have anything to compare it to. There's some lean times in some of the southeast Mississippi and Louisiana for sure if you cannot learn to adapt you will be left bemoaning the good old days that are long gone. There's still gobblers to be killed even in Homochitto you just ain't gonna cut on a box call and have 3 run up to you waiting to be shot.

I totally understand what you are saying. I will adapt however helps to hear them and find fresh sign. I don't need to hear 5 gobbling in one area. Although that would be nice. Just need to hear one to pin point and get after him.

Hopefully this fall and winter will allow more time to scout and try a locate some birds.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 07:23:41 AM »
The weather was a big factor this year in MS. Raining and windy every weekend. Our birds don't talk much if it's windy. Check out the north end of Bienville NF just south of Lena on highway 13.

Offline MissLouHunter

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
Mississippi, especially South Mississippi, has some real problems, re: turkeys.  I am in the worst season in over 40 years.  In Southwest Mississippi I have heard only two gobbles on the same morning, one gobble apiece from two different birds, followed shortly by a shot for each.  This is in locations that I have had good success in the past.  I went back yesterday, hoping that they may have turned on, but, nothing.  Only saw one other hunting vehicle so apparently the word has gotten out.  I was in paradise in the 80s, now there is only desolation.  I can think of several explanations, but it is likely a combination of several explanations.  I don't see turkey hunting back anytime soon.  Near extinction is my conclusion.

Preach Brother, Preach!!!

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »

That stings.... Ouch!

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:02 AM »
Shooting ABN, you haven't paid your dues yet for Mississippi public land turkeys. You need to understand that what you are trying to do is what few people ever become proficient at. If you stay at it long enough you will either figure it out or just say screw it. The question is, is it worth it. Your biggest problem is the distance away from the land to hunt. I hunt several BIG pieces of public land every year(that are very close to my house), and on each piece there are pockets of birds and big voids of no turkeys for thousands of acres and only time will teach you where to be. However, when you walk out with that third bird on Mississippi public land repeatedly there is no better satisfaction. I get a kick out of the few out of state hunters that invade my spots opening week each year that leave after a few days never to be seen again.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
deadbuck,

I'm tracking what you are saying. I hunted over 70 hours this season. Really didn't track the miles I walked. I hunt when I can as the family allows. I would hunt everyday if I could. Turkey hunting is my passion and obsession. If you understand that then you understand I enjoy hearing them as much as working them.... It was sad to spend that much time a field for the amount of gobbling I heard. I will put in for some WMA draw hunts, and hopefully get to scout before the season.

Hoping next season will be more enjoyable.

Shooting ABN, you haven't paid your dues yet for Mississippi public land turkeys. You need to understand that what you are trying to do is what few people ever become proficient at. If you stay at it long enough you will either figure it out or just say screw it. The question is, is it worth it. Your biggest problem is the distance away from the land to hunt. I hunt several BIG pieces of public land every year(that are very close to my house), and on each piece there are pockets of birds and big voids of no turkeys for thousands of acres and only time will teach you where to be. However, when you walk out with that third bird on Mississippi public land repeatedly there is no better satisfaction. I get a kick out of the few out of state hunters that invade my spots opening week each year that leave after a few days never to be seen again.

Offline Damson

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 10:16:43 PM »
I sent you a private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 05:39:12 PM »
I sent you a private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM returned.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 05:58:27 PM »
Exactly. There's probably not a state with a lower turkey density per mile than Louisiana except maybe Alaska and I find an kill my limit on public land every Spring. When you have to hunt pressured low population areas you will have to hunt harder and spend way more time for each Gobbler killed. Most people like the idea of being a serious Turkey Hunter but soon lose the desire when they realize the work it takes. Really only three  options: work hard and learn to kill them on the land you have available, drive North and find some easier more populated turkey areas, or complain about the good old days and quit half way thru the season the choice is yours.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 08:11:32 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline waysouth

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
DeSoto is a lot closer to you instead of HomoChitto.  You have to run and gun, no siting up and waiting the heavy hit public land. 

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »
DeSoto is a lot closer to you instead of HomoChitto.  You have to run and gun, no siting up and waiting the heavy hit public land.

I'm ready to put miles in. However it's hard to find pines, creek bottoms you can walk in.

Offline mudbug_4

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
I concur on trying out the Homochitto National Forest. It is big and there are some terrific ridges and bottoms away from roadways. It sounds like you are willing to walk so you should be able to find some birds. Granted, I have not hunted around there in over 20 years (b/c I have been bouncing all over the country, too). Hooah.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 03:03:52 AM »
Wow what a journey. Hunted 50 hours on public 2021. All came together 29 March.

I'll try a post a pic later.