turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using a red light getting to stand.

Started by MarkTwain Hunter, April 18, 2018, 03:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkTwain Hunter

I have flushed turkeys off their roost while going to my stand using a white flashlight.  Is a red light less likely to alarm birds on the roost?

Sir-diealot

I have heard that green is better than red and have used both but have not had problems with either. I use one of those Ameristep LED lights in my blind with the white light taped off and only the green lights showing and have never had a problem. I have even gotten into the blind with green and found out later that I was directly under the turkey when s/he? flew off while I was in the blind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mtns2hunt

I have always heard that Turkeys see color. I never use a light going into an area. I either know the location very well or move in when there is barley enough light to see.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Rapscallion Vermilion

There was a post on here a few years back from a fellow that raised turkeys from wild stock.  He said when he went out at night they were calm with green light, slightly nervous with red, and real agitated by white.

SteelerFan

If I have to use a light, I use green. Helps keep your peripheral vision and absolutely will not spook deer. I know from experience that I've walked under roosted birds that were 50 yards away (little to no canopy) that did not spook.

Fool proof? I doubt it, but I think it's a definite advantage.

*I prefer not to use a light at all... but when you need to climb the mountain in rocky, forested terrain an hour before it even thinks about breaking dawn, you gotta do what you gotta do. The crashing and cursing trying to do it without some type of light will spook far more.

Here's a link to a great little light that doesn't take up much room or brake the bank:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HBR4OZQ/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue

CDNduckslayer

White, red, green I ain't using no light ever!! Alway have one on me incase sh!t hits the fan but have never had to use it.

dublelung

I use green and have used red without spooking very close turkeys

Kylongspur88

In my opinion I think they can see the red light just fine. But it's also been my experience that birds are hesitant to pitch off the roost when it's completely dark. I've walked under them in the dark with a red light and got some commotion but they didn't fly off. I've also walked under birds in the daylight and they didn't booger out. That said I use my light to get into the area but turn it off and let my eyes adjust for a few minutes and then go the rest of the way without a light.

Way back in the old days the way folks hunted turkeys was to roost them and silhouette  them againt the moon and bust them off the branch.

I'm sure some folks still do.

dutch@fx4

I have never used a light to walk in. And I never try to get to were i am walking in under birds on the roost. I do carry a light in case if other people walking in on me.i find if I just take a little time after I get out if the truck my eyes a just to the dark and I can walk in just fine without a light..i also plain my rout to avoid spoiling birds

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on April 18, 2018, 08:33:57 PM
I have never used a light to walk in. And I never try to get to were i am walking in under birds on the roost. I do carry a light in case if other people walking in on me.i find if I just take a little time after I get out if the truck my eyes a just to the dark and I can walk in just fine without a light..i also plain my rout to avoid spoiling birds
Good advise if the  terrain allows for it, not always great in some woods though. I am doing the same more often.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RutnNStrutn

Where I hunt in Dixie, you're bound to step on a snake, branch, leaves, pine cones, etc. So I use a single red light headlamp when I head in pitch blackness. If it's a good moon, or cracking dawn, I go without a light.

tomstopper

I typically don't use a light to go int the woods but do have this visor headlamp that I use when I pull my truck into my spot to get all my last minute stuff in my pack, load gun, grab keys etc (never use my interior lights). When I do, it's usually on green.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/browning-night-seeker-rgb-led-cap-light?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Bowguy

dublelung

What do you folks who use no light do when it's pitch black and you have to walk a couple hundred yards or further to your listening area in the woods? I'm talking about no moon and you can't see your hand in front of your face dark. Ya'll must be hunting fields and go in at twilight or listen from the truck and wait on daybreak to go into the woods.

Bowguy

Quote from: dublelung on April 19, 2018, 09:13:51 AM
What do you folks who use no light do when it's pitch black and you have to walk a couple hundred yards or further to your listening area in the woods? I'm talking about no moon and you can't see your hand in front of your face dark. Ya'll must be hunting fields and go in at twilight or listen from the truck and wait on daybreak to go into the woods.
Walk slow is the answer. I hunt no fields and go in real early. It's important to leave even earlier when it's dark cause walking is tougher but possible. Couple hundred yards wouldn't be far enough to block a light.