OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Crickets are for fishing  (Read 2651 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Crickets are for fishing
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
Men, it sho is quiet around the board. What is going on with all you boisterous hunting machines up in here? Seasons opening, birds flopping, owl hoots making shock gobbles, spotted fawns. It's a great time of year. What say you?

BTW, let's hear from some of our silent brethren. Stay in the circle.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Crickets are for fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
I fought some horrible winds this last weekend here in AZ but still had a few close calls. Taking this next weekend to get my daughter out during the youth season here. Love this time of year! Lets hear it fellas, whats going on in your neck of the woods.

Offline Sand Man

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
no crickets here.  Just smack in the middle of moving.  I did get out last weekend after we signed the papers on our new home.  Went to OK to help a buddy get his 9 year old his 1st bird.  As soon as we got to the property a big front blew in with rain, hail, and tornado warning.  Last 30 minutes of some pretty intense rain.  As soon as the rain ended, off we went.  Couldn't get anything to respond by running and gunning, so we decided to sit in an area where we knew birds were.  Didn't take us long to get 2 birds answering us.  The 9 year old got stage fright and didn't want to miss, so my buddy shot the bird at 30 yards.  Struck several more that afternoon and should have killed at least one more, but it's hard to move on a bird with youngsters.  The rain had the creek up and the bird just wouldn't cross it.  A hen finally went to him and the gig was over.  Saturday the wind turned out of the North at 20+ MPH........ALL DANG DAY.  It was in the 30s with wind chill in the 20s to start.  Birds were SILENT.  We hunted hard all day with no luck.  I left to head back to TX that night to get a jump on packing and moving.  He and his boy gave it one more shot on Sunday morning.  He told me it was even colder, but they finally got a bird to commit.  Little man got his 1st bird and it was a dandy with 1 1/4" spurs and 10" beard.

Birds still seem to be really henned up in OK and TX.  I think they are about 2 weeks behind normal schedule with the cold spring we've had.  Hoping next week it's on and I'm done moving where I can try and finish out my TX tags and head to OK again.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 04:53:38 PM »
It snowed today.  :(

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »
My son, grandson and myself were suppose to go to Neb. last weekend, but the blizzard warnings where we hunt caused us to delay that trip until this Thursday. Weather looks much better for this trip. Might get a little wet one day, but no big deal. This Neb. trip will be the start of a hectic turkey hunting schedule. Will be out in Neb. for 5 days then back to work for 2 days then off to SD. for 5 days then back to work for 3 days then get to hunt here in MN. for 4 days. I'm so ready!

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
Killed a couple good’ns In WV this weekend.  One will go over 64. Will post tonight after I drive back home. No more crickets.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
 :icon_thumright: :you_rock:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »
Well it has been crickets for me I haven't even heard one on my last four times out!