turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What would you have done?

Started by wade, April 16, 2018, 03:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Wade, I have found shouldering my gun, while still in my lap lets me make the hardest part of the move well in advance with zero fatigue.  I can hold  my gun shouldered and work a slate call with no problems.  Using 2 hands, one arm cradles the gun to your shoulder and holds the pot (that I hand it to that hand with the free one).  Then when ready, set it down, usually well in advance.  Raising the barrel steadily, slowly (but faster than you think you can) and decisively is very effective.  One piece of advice, make sure the sling of the gun is in the hand you are using to raise the gun. Slings have a way of catching and moving as you rise the barrel up. 

I got caught that way one time as I was watching a bird across a field (hen) and the strutter came in to my hard right.  The gun was shouldered, barrel still in my lap (he had gobbled 30 minutes earlier by where the hen was - or another bird did).  He got wary at 6 yards, but a quick raise of the barrel and he met his maker.  Even had to sit up a little to clear the briars. 

Another time one came in silent, gun across my lap and me looking at the radar on my phone.  He came in so close, I had to let him get out to about 15 so I felt better about the shot.  Also will do a quick adjustment when he is facing away in strut.  Have killed several making the last adjustment when they make the turn away from me.  Cluck, head up, boom.

That was all back when I could kill turkeys.  Now I just suck.  man this has been a rainy, quiet year for me and my bunch.  Seems like it has been raining 50% of the days I was able to hunt (work sucks).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Marc

Quote from: wade on April 17, 2018, 06:06:11 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've done the slowly raise my gun thing before and had the tom hang up just out of range starring me down
If birds are moving towards me in the open, I never move...  Until they are in such good range that I know I have time to kill them.

I assume that if I can see them, they can see me.  No way I am moving on a bird coming towards me (unless & until they go behind a definitive obstruction).  I would much prefer the problem of having my gun down on a bird in range, than my gun at the ready at birds that saw something and will not come any further.

If the birds are in good range with my gun down, I then come up with a plan of action...  I make sure I can mount the gun to the bird (i.e. the bird is not on my far right where I cannot swing the gun to), I pick my target, and I make my move....

Depending on the temperment of the bird, I might do no calling, or some aggressive calling...  Birds with their heads up and alert, I might try an aggressive series of cutting (with my mouth call) as I raise my gun to shoot (this seems to momentarily confuse them)...  Birds in strut or pecking at the ground, I just lift and shoot....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.