OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tough

Started by bigredtn, April 10, 2018, 08:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredtn

This is my first year hunting these WONDERFUL birds.  It has been a learning curve for sure.  I only have public land available to me, private for my son only, and wow its been tough not seeing any birds for the 8 days  I have been out.  The only place I have heard one was on some river bottom but sounded like he/she was across a DEEP creek.  The reason why I say he/she was because I could not differentiate from a tom yelp and hen.  What ever it was kept talking to me only if I used my crystal mistress.   I don't believe it was another hunter as there is only one way in and out and I was the only one in, plus its pretty secluded.  I hope I am going to have better luck during the season 16th-22th on different public land.

spaightlabs

Hang in there and spend as many days in the woods as you can.  Time afield is an excellent teacher.

My first year I spent 20-some days trying to shoot a bird and it all came together on the last day of season with about an hour of daylight left after an all day hunt. All of a sudden I heard a couple gobbles a loooong way off but they kept getting closer.  3 toms walking down an abandoned railbed with a handful of hens in tow, looked like a turkey train.  I was able to move my setup to get in front of them.

Be patient and remember, sometimes less is more when it comes to calling.

TJK68

Hang in there... Good Luck!

zelmo1

Time is your friend. Put time in to find roosting trees if you can. This will be a great starting point in the morning. Get in early, hear the tree gobbling and set up quietly. Know where they go off the roost, that will be how you get them. Good luck brother  :funnyturkey:

Divenut2

Yep, like the others said, "Hang in there!". Prior to getting some property to hunt several years ago, I was limited to public land hunting (deer, small game and eventually turkey) for 30 years. For me success came when I started scouting and hunting waaaay off the beaten trail, many miles from the parking lots. I'd find the thickest, swampiest and otherwise most inhospitable areas to hunt. Doing so paid off more often than not. I'm guessing this was due to game moving away from the pressure the weekend warriors applied in the less remote spots. I also made sure to be the first one the hike in and was typically the last car in the lot at the end of the day. So much so that the conservation officers joked with me about it LOL.

Take care and stay patient and Good luck!
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Happy

Stay with it. Persistence and effort kill a lot of turkeys.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gobble!

Quote from: Happy on April 10, 2018, 11:09:28 AM
Stay with it. Persistence and effort kill a lot of turkeys.

Add patience and you dont need much more.

tha bugman

They cause many sleepless nights and weary days, but when it all comes together there is absolutely nothing like it in the world! :anim_25:

Gobbler428

Three P's  Patience   Persistence   Perseverance   it takes some of each but you will get her done!

daddyduke

Keep at it and good luck.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Sixes

Time in the woods is the absolute best way to learn. Just listen as the day unfolds and you will begin to understand the craziness of turkeys

Caspar

if it was easy it wouldnt be any fun. keep after em and good luck!!

TauntoHawk

Having turkeys or finding them is a huge part of the battle. More time out of season looking for areas that have turkeys will massively give a boost to your hunting in season when you know where to go to just be in them. The  you can start learning from them

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

renegade19

The more experience you can get the better.  Welcome to the addiction!

Waynesworld23

Hang in there when you do connect on a public land gobbler you will be over the moon and you will learn more on publis land birds then anywhere else. I spent my first five years hunting just public land and would trade those lessons for anything. Can't wait to see a pic of you will a hard earned public land bird
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift