turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Alps Impact vest opinions

Started by shedhunta, April 03, 2018, 10:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shedhunta

Got their grand slam last year.  Well built and love the frame.  Only downside is the weight.  Saw the new impact vest.  Anyone try it or have opinions??

Thx
Shedhunta

Rzrbac

Ordered one yesterday and it just arrived. My first impressions is it's built well, better than my old Super Elite. The seat system leaves a little to be desired but that's the least important feature for me. It holds everything my Super Elite did with no room to spare. I think it will be much cooler on the warm days and I believe the pocket on the back is gonna accommodate a 3L bladder. It may be better suited for a Platypus bladder rather than a camelbak. Overall I'm pleased with it but time will tell after I put it in the woods.

Rzrbac

Just to update, a 3L camelbak fits the decoy stake pocket perfectly. Just have to use some 550 cord to fashion a hanger at the top.

shedhunta

I got the vest and I sent it back.  Did not like the seat.  Its thin and a pain to engage.  I thought I could improve on my alps grand slam but I do not know what I was thinking.  The grand slam is awesome from the steep mountains of PA to the flat fields of Jersey. 

Fieldturkey

Bought one and sent it back. Seat's a pain

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Fieldturkey on May 06, 2018, 10:20:46 AM
Bought one and sent it back. Seat's a pain
What is a pain about it, shouldn't it just be pull down the bottom sit down pull straps until back is the right angle? That's how the primos rocker is a
And I figured it was the same

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkeykiller22

Dont have one but heard the seat is awful...
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Tail Feathers

I bought the Primos Rocker last year.  The top broke through and one of the staves poked through.  I caught it early and I'll have my brother in law use his commercial sewing machine to re-sew the vest.

If that don't hold, I'll trash it since it's out of the warranty period.  I liked the original Bucklick Creek and the Bass Pro version but my old behind has lost some natural padding over the years and I don't find them as comfortable as I once did.  I'm considering trying the repaired Rocker with a bunsaver cushion and see if that doesn't put the backrest too low on my back to be comfortable.

I'll still check out the Impact when I can find one to look at in person tho.  I love the run and gun utility of quickly being able to set up or move quickly.  But it's not made for long sits, that's for sure.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!