turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Success in NE MS this morning.

Started by MS!48, March 25, 2018, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS!48

Well this morning started pretty bad. Woke up late at 5:45 this morning. Rushed to my lease about 45 minutes away, and got there around fly down. Decided to walk to a spot I've had good luck at before. Was about to let out some soft yelps and hope for a gobble, but wasn't expecting much. Little windy with rain coming in and plenty of fog. Well before I even touched my box call one sounded off and about blew my cap off. I sat down real quick and witching 5 minutes I saw him come over the ridge at about 75 yards. I let out some soft yelps with the box and my trumpet. He fell out of strut and started walking up the ridge right to the road I was on. Felt like it was fixing to happen then I saw hens pitch down on the other side of the ridge. Lost him in some thick pines, but could still here him drumming. He finally let out another gobble and he had fell of the back side of the with the hens. About ten minutes later I let out some cuts on the box call so I could figure out where he was before I repositioned. Instead of him gobbling two more birds gobbled about 300-400 yards to my right. They kept gobbling covering ground very quickly coming right to me. Suddenly the original bird gobbled and he had crossed the road around the curve from me, and was now on my right side where the others were coming from. The other gobblers started a wider circle then and came in over my right shoulder behind me. I turned my head and saw once come over the hill in full strut and the other right behind him. They apparently didn't like something and the front bird started the dreaded putt. I switched to my left hand and spun around. Luckily the second bird paused for just long enough for me to get him in the scope and pull the trigger. Shot was about 30 yards and the old HW 7's in the 20 gauge did not disappoint as usual. Ended up having 10 1/4" beard and 7/8" spurs. Did not get weight, but he was pretty heavy bird. Feels good to get that first bird in the bag early in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

deer655

Congratulations. Sounds like a great morning. I love the picture of you and your daughter. I have 2 grown daughters  and plenty of old pictures just like that. Love em hard with plenty of your time because they grow up quick.

bbcustomboxcalls

Congrats on a nice bird and great pics.

Bill

TJK68

MS!48

Thanks everyone! And yes my little princess is growing up way to fast. I hope in a few years she can join in on some turkey hunts.

shoer2

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

MS!48

Thanks!

zelmo1

MS!48

Thank you!

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

chuckward

Congrats. It's nice when i happens easy. Those are few and far between though.

3bailey3