OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Time for a new vest....  (Read 43683 times)

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Time for a new vest....
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2021, 08:54:41 PM »
No,it did not have enough storage for what I wanted.It was well built,light and would be great for someone that carries "light" I already have that in an rng 300. I would have never ordered it if I would have seen it in person or known how little it was. I tried to buy a grounded vest,owner did not seem to be interested in shipping one so,oh well. I am actually waiting for a beard buster vest to come in stock from amazon, I may test run it,Its a lighter vest,not a lot of pockets but I like the looks of it and It may be nice for when it gets hot outside,mid season on.

I am kind of settled in that I will never find a vest I like more than my LL bean. I do like the look of the new Will primos vest,I'd like to try it,probably for next season.

Offline Sungrazer

« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »
What is the difference between one Turkey vest made in China, and a different vest, made in China?
Asking for a Patriotic friend..

Inquiring minds want to know

Offline Dazzler

« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2021, 10:35:43 PM »
What is the difference between one Turkey vest made in China, and a different vest, made in China?

A “Turkey vest made in China” has features appealing to a Turkey hunter usually camouflaged with an attached seat.

A “different vest made in China” might be geared towards anything else really like fancy dinners, church or weddings. Might even be made for cold weather layering. Most likely not camouflaged or attached to a cushioned seat. 

What kind of vest did your friend want compared to the Turkey vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sungrazer

« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2021, 10:48:49 PM »

A “Turkey vest made in China” has features appealing to a Turkey hunter usually camouflaged with an attached seat.

A “different vest made in China” might be geared towards anything else really like fancy dinners, church or weddings. Might even be made for cold weather layering. Most likely not camouflaged or attached to a cushioned seat. 

What kind of vest did your friend want compared to the Turkey vest.

:welcomeOG: This forum needs a "like" button/icon thingy

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2021, 06:07:46 PM »
I have used the tidewe vest for a few days so far and I like it,I also purchased the nomad killing time vest and have used it the last few days and really like everything about both,keepers for me.I finally locked down a rng 200 in bottomland and I should have it Friday. I will use it as well, this coming weekend.

Offline Dazzler

« Reply #185 on: May 05, 2021, 08:06:34 AM »
Hows the fit on the Tidwe?  Is the OSFM reasonable for a man less than 6' and 200lbs?  Usually OSFM translates into fully cinched and still loose for me.

Online ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
Hows the fit on the Tidwe?  Is the OSFM reasonable for a man less than 6' and 200lbs?  Usually OSFM translates into fully cinched and still loose for me.
Man I’m with you there, I cannot find a good fitting vest to save my life. I’m 6’2 and about 195 and I have to cinch most osfm up and they still are baggy lol

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
Im 6" and 235 lbs and I wore it with lots of layers and It snugs down,I personally just buy and try as I have always needed to test equipment myself.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2021, 03:01:24 PM »
Heartbreak kid I see you tried many vests over the past few years and I am wondering which one is your favorite? I have to replace my old Cabelas vest and looking for something a little different. Thanks
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline Brian Stewart

« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2021, 11:26:38 PM »
Ever thought of using a satchel? I've used various turkey vest over the last 30 years had some I liked and some I disliked.  I hunted this year with a Glenda Greene Satchel and doughnut seat cushion she makes and to be honest never been more satisfied.  It was really hard for me to give up a vest I had over 11 sold 7 of them this year but might sell the rest now.   Plus it is USA made which is a big plus for .e and the craftsmanship is A+++   plenty of room for calls, snacks and raincoat.  It loaded down with calls and snacks weighs about the same a some of my empty vest. 
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2021, 07:09:59 AM »
Heartbreak kid I see you tried many vests over the past few years and I am wondering which one is your favorite? I have to replace my old Cabelas vest and looking for something a little different. Thanks
That would be the new nomad,killin' time vest I would say.It just fits nice and I like some of the extras they added.They all have pros and cons.

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2021, 07:12:27 AM »
Ever thought of using a satchel? I've used various turkey vest over the last 30 years had some I liked and some I disliked.  I hunted this year with a Glenda Greene Satchel and doughnut seat cushion she makes and to be honest never been more satisfied.  It was really hard for me to give up a vest I had over 11 sold 7 of them this year but might sell the rest now.   Plus it is USA made which is a big plus for .e and the craftsmanship is A+++   plenty of room for calls, snacks and raincoat.  It loaded down with calls and snacks weighs about the same a some of my empty vest.
Ive used different types of satchels over the last decade,I find them a hindrance and would rather not use them in the field.I would like to have her make me one for a place to store my items in my truck and at home.

I'd rather just carry as few items as possible in my pockets.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2021, 01:26:29 PM »
That would be the new nomad,killin' time vest I would say.It just fits nice and I like some of the extras they added.They all have pros and cons.

I have the new Killing Time coming tomorrow! I will be using it next weekend here in NY. Good to know it passed your test lol.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:39:31 PM by lunghit »
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2022, 12:43:24 PM »
The killin time vest is probably my favorite the way it is laid out, and all the bells and whistles, It is about perfect but I had nothing but issues with the inside pocket webbing ripping in different spots so I sent that back to amazon. I see they have the MG, and the Pursuit from Nomad for a good price on amazon. I have decided to go back to a vest for this coming year,full time, I went without one the last 3 weeks last season and used my chair, and my pockets for my stuff because I was babysitting a new turkey hunter. I am not going to be carrying anyone around this year as I found it was quite a chore and I didn't enjoy myself as I was constantly worrying about "his" hunt, and I want to enjoy the turkey woods in peace.

I plan on being more mobile this year than last and I have a few that I am looking to test,

-Nomad pursuit
-Will Primos Signature
-Rng 100

The Will primos is not cheap, $250.00 plus tax, but I can send it back if I don't like it. It is tempting but I think It's a little much as I don't plan on ever going back to carrying as much stuff. I am leaning more towards a vest like the pursuit. I am not sold on the Rng 100 as I hated testing out a bino harness while bowhunting, and all that is, is a glorified bino harness.

I am going to check these out a little more and order 1-2 later in the week.

Online RED NECK

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2022, 12:46:57 PM »
I would try the Super elite 4.0 as I liked that vest but It was just warm when It got hot out, but the last 2 seasons it has been extremely cold until middle of May, It may be one I go back too.