OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Two Birds, One Shot

Started by jimmy v, March 14, 2018, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Legal here in WI too as long as you have a 2nd tag for the season you are hunting!! I/we have killed "Doubles" with buddies hunting with me, took a double with my dad and killed quite a few solo Doubles as well!

Our Youth Season is only allowed one tag for each hunter so the opportunity for a "Solo" Double then does not exist for this season... I have had some Youth Doubles, but two kids doing the shooting!!

MK M GOBL

GobbleNut

Although I don't care if someone else does it, I enjoy turkey hunting too much to use up two tags with one shot.  I am pretty much a one-bird-per-day guy.   :newmascot:

appalachianassassin

Quote from: guesswho on March 14, 2018, 08:36:58 PM
In Georgia you can kill your season limit of three in one shot if the opportunity presents itself and you want to end your season.  I'm a one bird one hunt guy and avoid shots that may result in more than one being hit or killed.  But where legal I see no problem if that's what someone wants to do.  But in your sons case it sounds like it was an accident.  Either way, congrats to you and your son.   That's a lifetime memory.  I hope y'all get to share many more in the future.
we agree on a lot of things and this topic is no exception. even where legal, ill let a pair of gobblers walk if they don't separate. two in a single shot knocks me out of a hunt and I don't like that for myself. however, again where legal, if I call in a pair for someone else I would encourage them to line em up.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

zelmo1

I did it once legally, wont do it again. Ends the season too quickly. Don't have to worry about season ending early anymore. My wife and daughter are hunting both NH and Maine with me this year. If we fill all 9 tags. I will retire from turkey hunting. NOT!!!, lol

chcltlabz

I've had the opportunity in states where it wasn't legal and never tried to kill 2 with one shot but always thought it would be a cool experience.  2 years ago I was in Kansas for work and had one weekend to hunt while I was there.  With only 2 days to hunt, I was more than happy to tag out when I had 3 gobblers come in.  They came up over a rise into range and two birds heads lined up perfectly.  Stoned them both and ended my hunt.  Would I do it again?  I guess I won't know until I'm presented with the opportunity again.

This whole thread though reminds me of the saying "Don't pass up an animal the first day that you'd shoot on the last day"
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Happy

It is not legal in either state I hunt so I have been careful not to. I don't think I would even if legal. I am not opposed to killing on one state and heading to another to try my luck. But I want one bird per hunt if that makes sense. When helping others I typically don't even have my gun ready even if more than one bird is coming. Though I have killed birds meant for others just because they couldn't get on them. That sucks though and I feel bad even though they tell me to kill it. Some days I hate the frustration of trying to get new hunters birds. It's no fault of their own but it's kinda like trying to walk when your legs asleep.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

kjnengr

Congrats to the little man and glad no laws were broken.   :happy0064:

Post up pics when you can.

For those that don't want to shoot a double because of cutting your season short, would your opinion change if you hadn't shot one yet and it was the last hunt or two of the season or the trip (if you were out of state or area or something)?  When legal of course.....

Happy

I don't think it would change for me. In all honesty I was never a numbers guy. If I leave one for next year that's fine. I love to eat them but I look forward to the hunts as much as the success. I have had a year or two since I started killing birds that I never pulled the trigger. I had opportunities but they were jakes and I am not interested in killing them as a general rule. Those years were still fun and I would still hunt an entire spring season even if told before hand I wouldn't kill a bird. I would rather hunt and not kill one on my terms than kill 20 not on my terms if that makes sense.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

THattaway

Have done it once and on purpose. First tom stepped into the clear at 25 yards and as I started to squeeze the trigger the second tom stepped into line at 35 so I cheated the bead between their heads. Have had other opportunities where I didn't shoot for a double but have killed two in a day plenty of times. When SC had 5 tags I used them as the opportunity arose. With 3 tags now I'm a bit more conservative. I have killed a tom and left others still gobbling on occasion because I wanted to continue to hunt a different area or some other day. I guess it depends on how much time you have to hunt and the opportunities. Beyond that I don't care what anyone else thinks about how you choose to fill your tags as long as it is legal.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

GobbleNut

Quote from: kjnengr on March 15, 2018, 09:22:27 AM
Congrats to the little man and glad no laws were broken.   :happy0064:

Post up pics when you can.

For those that don't want to shoot a double because of cutting your season short, would your opinion change if you hadn't shot one yet and it was the last hunt or two of the season or the trip (if you were out of state or area or something)?  When legal of course.....

Your point is a good one.  It would be interesting to see just how many of us would reconsider our position on shooting multiple birds if we were put in that scenario. 

Last year my wife wanted to go to Hawaii for a vacation.  I agreed to the trip if I could do some turkey hunting while we were there.  After negotiations, it was agreed that I could go turkey hunting three mornings out of the seven day trip. 

The first morning I hunted, I called in a group of gobblers and shot one of them, planning on only killing the one bird.  Well, one of the other gobblers didn't know what had happened and, as they sometimes do, just started slowly walking away, stopping to look back at the downed bird. He would walk a bit and then stand and look.

During the couple of minutes he was doing that, I was having a debate in my mind about whether I should shoot the second bird, knowing that if I did so, it would make my wife happy because I could eliminate one of my mornings hunts (the limit was three birds and my plan was to shoot one bird a day if the opportunity arose). 

The gobbler kept easing away and finally was about 40 yards out when I decided to make my wife happy,...so I shot the second bird, too.  That is the only time in my life that I have done that, and probably never will again.  ...But my wife was delighted! ...and I scored some points for future "considerations".... ;D :toothy12: :toothy9:

THattaway

I can tell you for a fact my wife is happier than anyone when I tag out. I usually take her out to eat any day I kill a tom anyway so that helps a lot as well. Thank God for that woman.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

richard black

Congratulations to you and your son. You will have that memory for seasons to come.

daddyduke

Congrats! The other bird got what he deserved for rubber necking! Real Peeping Tom.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Dtrkyman

I have passed in doubles in the past so I can enjoy another hunt but if time were an issue and I couldn't hunt much I would love to do it someday...I have doubled with the bow but 2 arrows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk