turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

PRIME turkey hunting public land for sale in NY

Started by adkmountainken, March 10, 2018, 11:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

I know that MANY people do not have many choices of where they can hunt due to private land. I live in NY, in the Adirondacks and let me tell you in the last year I have saw MULTIPLE tracks are land come up for sale at prices that are a drop in the bucket compared to others. I hunt ALL public land and there is a LOT of it, the farther you walk up the mountain the more alone you are except for the critters. just noticed the other day as I drove by one of my favorite hunting areas which is PRIME longbeard country 325 acres for sale. its not posted and I hunt there now. it has everything, mountains, water, oaks, beech and is a spot I grew up turkey hunting. just wanted to give a shout out to those of you that have a little more $$$ then I do that the opportunity's are there in NY if a man had a mind to grab a chunk of Heaven! I have killed a dozen or so longbeards from that area.

Double B

So are they selling off government ground or is it private?   
Followed by buzzards

adkmountainken

lol sure as hell ain't Gov so I assume private. there is not to much posted land this way you do run in to big chunks but there is a TON of public places to hunt that don't see much pressure due to hunters not wanting to use a little boot leather to get there. people get the wrong idea of NY and generally think of the city but we have MASSIVE MASSIVE tracts of just about ZERO pressured public land. is it hard hunting? you bet your  it is but i'm willing to bet a few like me would put forth the extra effort to get to big woods gobblers that have not heard a call am I right?

TauntoHawk

I'm pretty sure you can't hunt private ground posted or not in NY. I know there are a few states left that you can but NY is not one of them. Maybe it's socially acceptable if there's no dwelling and it's not posted that if you treat the ground with respect it's free to use in your area. I'd still caution it's not free and legal to call it public domain for recreation use unless it is owned by a timber co or other entity that allow free hutning access.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

adkmountainken

there has never been a posted sign on the 325 acres I speak of and I have hunted it for 30 years now as have some of the locals. I do not hunt anything that has a posted sign or in areas I do not know.

nativeks

I assume you have permission because from the NYS website
Question: If a property is not posted, does that mean I can hunt there?
Answer: All property is owned by somebody. The lack of posted signs, fences or other man made objects does not imply that you may enter to hunt, fish or trap. It is your responsibility to obtain permission to enter private lands or waters. Public lands and waters may or may not have restrictions that can be found by contacting the municipality owning the lands.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/2442.html

turkaholic

We have a camp in the Cobleskill area. The only problem with NY is the property taxes are crazy. Depends on the area and amount of buildings. Our camp is very old on the edge of state land and taxes are reasonable. Bulldoze it in to the ground and rebuild and see what happens to reasonable. The mountains of NY are wonderful, but the Liberials in charge in the city are greed stricken and can't find a single way to cut costs.
live to hunt hunt to live

mightyjoeyoung

NY trespass law is the same as it is here in PA.  If it's not yours and not public access land, like state forest,  game lands or municipal property,  you are still REQUIRED to obtain permission to step a single foot on the property.  If it's not yours, don't go on it...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

adkmountainken

ya know what just going to remove this post was just trying to give others a chance to come hunt a lot of public land.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: adkmountainken on March 11, 2018, 12:14:42 PM
ya know what just going to remove this post was just trying to give others a chance to come hunt a lot of public land.
It's just kind of false advertising don't you think? Can you see the other side of it.

You are saying you have miles of free public land filled with turkeys if you're willing to walk for them. When really it's miles of unattended private land if you're willing to tresspass.

I don't think anyone is getting nasty with you but they are pointing out it's very black and white that it's tresspassing and they aren't comfortable doing it.

I do hunt a lot of public land in NY but it all comes within the boundaries of little plaques that say NY DEP open to hunting or some other identification marker.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MK M GOBL

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 11, 2018, 02:32:09 PM
It's just kind of false advertising don't you think? Can you see the other side of it.

You are saying you have miles of free public land filled with turkeys if you're willing to walk for them. When really it's miles of unattended private land if you're willing to tresspass.

I don't think anyone is getting nasty with you but they are pointing out it's very black and white that it's tresspassing and they aren't comfortable doing it.

I do hunt a lot of public land in NY but it all comes within the boundaries of little plaques that say NY DEP open to hunting or some other identification marker.

Sorry but I would have to agree, unless you have landowner permission you are trespassing. I own land in a different county and boundaries Federally Owned land. We get quite  a few trespassing, and I have posted, hard for me to control as I am 5 1/2 hours from property. I do have a neighbor there who tries to watch it for me but even then it still happens.

MK M GOBL

Gamblinman

And therein lies the problem...you stated that you hunt ALL public land, and yet, you admit to hunting private property without proper authorization, believing that if it's not posted, it's apparently considered "public" and you can hunt it.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

deer655

I used to hunt the Uwharries gamelands in NC. There was abig section that was a natioanl forest but the state used to lease from private individuals thousands of acres to use for hunting. Then the leases vanished as hunters were leasing the land for much more then the state was going to pay. After the hunters go older and slacked off leasing the land the people are selling their land to developers. It made me sick to go there the other day and see my old hunting stomping grounds is neighborhoods and atv trails. The old stores that catered to hunter now cater to horse riders.

mspaci

you all just dont get the part about, there isnt anyone around up there & no one will bother you. Alot of it you wouldnt know it was private & probably borders state. Its a different culture up north. Mike

Gamblinman

Quote from: mspaci on March 12, 2018, 07:28:50 PM
you all just dont get the part about, there isnt anyone around up there & no one will bother you. Alot of it you wouldnt know it was private & probably borders state. Its a different culture up north. Mike

I'd say its the folks up north that trespass are the ones who don't get the part. Try that down here in TX and you'll be getting a ride to visit the Justice of the Peace, and its gets expensive fast.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."