OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hypothetical question

Started by Happy, March 03, 2018, 04:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I am hunting a new chunk of ground this spring. The only think that separates this new ground is a river. However this river is the border between the two states I hunt. Both chunks are heavily hunted leases. Theoretically if I were to call a bird in to the river bank and kill him from the other side which side do I check him on for? The state he was standing in or the state that I shot him from? I have no plans of attempting this but my mind wanders a lot.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

zelmo1

Tag in state of death. It happened to me between NH and Maine.

Happy

Guess that answers that question. Thanks

Greg Massey

Yes the state you killed him ...

Yoder409

You must be shooting TSS if you can kill a bird from one state clean into another.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

owlhoot

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 03, 2018, 07:04:07 PM
You must be shooting TSS if you can kill a bird from one state clean into another.
Don't be giving any tss manufacturers marketing ideas ::)

Happy

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 03, 2018, 07:04:07 PM
I'm gonna do it with lead. I am a rebel like that.

zelmo1

Lol, actually across the Salmon Falls River. I was knee deep crossing the river. #5 Longbeards did the trick  :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Happy

That would be interesting. Years ago  before I was a member of the  new lease I was guiding a fellow. We got one going on the the other side. We got close to the river and tried to call him across. Wasn't happening. He stayed and strutted his butt of on the other side. He was in range but untouchable.

crow

I would  tag it in whichever states season was ending the soonest or I had the most tags for.
Is this a trick question

Happy

No trick question.  I agree with the state the bird was standing in when killed. Just seeing what other people would think. I have no intent of trying it. But there is a slim chance that the situation could arise.

southern_leo

Think if it this way. You don't report when you shoot a gun in someone's state, but you have to report when you kill a bird in their state. So where the bird dies it's reported.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Those were always the fun questions that a game warden would get at the local coffee shop, often causing an awkward pause... lol

One that directly applies to your situation - "If I float the Potomac in a canoe with a Maryland license, and shoot a fox squirrel off a branch that is over the water, but the tree is in WV... am I legal?"

In theory, the State boundary would be vertical from the high water mark on the WV side, and it would be possible for the squirrel to enter Maryland air space... but for all practical purposes, rule of thumb was WV tree = WV squirrel.

Marc

Tag him in the state you killed him...

But what if he is on this side of the line when you shot him, and in the throws of death, flops over to the other side?  Do you tag him on the side you shot him, or the side you recovered him?

And, what if you are on one side of the state line, and you shoot the bird on the other?  (I would tag the bird on the side he died).

And if the state regulations state 1 bird per day, can you shoot a bird on one side, cross over and kill a bird on the other side, and carry both birds back to your truck legally (assuming you have proper licenses and stamps for both states)?

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

HFultzjr

Quote from: Marc on March 04, 2018, 03:52:56 PM
Tag him in the state you killed him...

But what if he is on this side of the line when you shot him, and in the throws of death, flops over to the other side?  Do you tag him on the side you shot him, or the side you recovered him?

And, what if you are on one side of the state line, and you shoot the bird on the other?  (I would tag the bird on the side he died).

And if the state regulations state 1 bird per day, can you shoot a bird on one side, cross over and kill a bird on the other side, and carry both birds back to your truck legally (assuming you have proper licenses and stamps for both states)?

All that river crossing, I would surely fall in, get wet, lose gun, etc. Not to mention my box calls. Go back to truck and find partner with a nice bird he bagged on the other side of the road..............LOL. But that's just me.  :character0029: