Started by Sir-diealot, February 24, 2018, 01:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 24, 2018, 06:01:47 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 24, 2018, 05:59:11 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 24, 2018, 05:31:31 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 24, 2018, 05:19:47 PM
Quote from: Fullfan on February 24, 2018, 05:08:47 PM
That is what I thought when I found out Rob Keck was making 300K a year , I am no longer a member.
That's what turned me off as well. People getting rich from someone else generosity rub me the wrong way.
I can understand that. It sounds like a dream job imo,but how much good did he do and also money did he bring in.??..
Maybe he could have made a half million or more somewhere else instead of 300,000$
I Believe if he could have made more elswheres he would have.
He might not have gotten paid to shoot turkeys though!! :fud:   :OGani:
Prolly not. :)

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 24, 2018, 02:55:34 PM
Are you saying you have a dislike for the NWTF , or what...can you explain ?   35 year's ago we welcome NWTF for what they did in helping stock birds in our state...  I have no problem with NWTF and the accomplishments with banquets , fundraisers and the youth programs...  It's has helped our local chapter in raising funds for radio collar's in tracking turkey's and also in buying much needed equipment for public land food plot's and i could go on and on, with the good that NWTF has done in our state....
Gonna agree w this. It's a great orginazation where I'm from. Lots of mentored hunts I've been involved with. We already got notices about what's offered to the folks. I've been mentoring these hunts a long time. They've planted areas, bought items needed for the hunts. It's all what you put in. You can do nothing and complain or do something to help. Seems always guys that do nothing complain the loudest.

Fullfan

Anyone know the reason Keck stepped down after his salary became public? And if I remember right there were others that left about the same time, they also were being paid astronomical salary's...
Don't gobble at me...

Sir-diealot

Post has gone in directions I did not mean it to go, I thought it was a simple enough question, I hope it has not stirred up animosity here, that was never my intent.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gumby

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 24, 2018, 06:54:11 PM
Post has gone in directions I did not mean it to go, I thought it was a simple enough question, I hope it has not stirred up animosity here, that was never my intent.

It was a simple enough question and post, but this is the Internet and it happens

Sir-diealot

That it does, thanks Gumby.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Gooserbat

NWTF has been good for Oklahoma.  A lot of hunters don't realize what the NWTF has done and is doing.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoder409

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 24, 2018, 06:01:47 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 24, 2018, 05:59:11 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 24, 2018, 05:31:31 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 24, 2018, 05:19:47 PM
Quote from: Fullfan on February 24, 2018, 05:08:47 PM
That is what I thought when I found out Rob Keck was making 300K a year , I am no longer a member.
That's what turned me off as well. People getting rich from someone else generosity rub me the wrong way.
I can understand that. It sounds like a dream job imo,but how much good did he do and also money did he bring in.??..
Maybe he could have made a half million or more somewhere else instead of 300,000$
I Believe if he could have made more elswheres he would have.
He might not have gotten paid to shoot turkeys though!! :fud:   :OGani:

I thought the $300K was excessive, as well.

I was never a huge fan of Rob's general demeanor during his NWTF tenure.  Got along with him OK.  But I just always thought he could have been a bit more grounded and in touch with the blue collar guy who gave a couple hours pay to join the organization.  Instead the trend seemed to be to roll with and like the big corporate donors.

BUT............................ The NWTF is a HUGE organization.  The general membership probably wouldn't be too happy about a guy like me who goes to work with a lunchbox and his name on his shirt running the show.  ANNNNNND..................the big corporate donors ARE where the big money comes from.  How many local fundraiser banquets does it take to equal one big fat check cut by X Ammunition, Y Camo or Z Timber Company ???   I do think Rob did a good job at being THE recognizable face of the NWTF.

As for why he left...........................it wasn't because his salary became public knowledge.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gobspur

Its okay sir.  I think some folks don't read the entire threads.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gobspur on February 24, 2018, 07:28:21 PM

Its okay sir.  I think some folks don't read the entire threads.
Thanks Gobspur.

John Koenig:

paboxcall

To the OP - you didn't do anything wrong. You are asking about history, something which some "newbies" (only a few years or less) here may not know about before responding, which is fine. Don't let others who lack historical context regarding the answer influence your decision to ask further questions. Its all good.

Another angle was this: a dozen or more years ago many of us here now had a terrific forum on the NWTF to talk turkey hunting - super busy site. Then, things changed at the NWTF, and the forum was dissolved. Many of us then went elsewhere on the internet where we were welcome. Fast forward a bunch of years, here we still are, but those experiences way back then contributed to shifting opinions and views.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on February 24, 2018, 07:47:51 PM
To the OP - you didn't do anything wrong. You are asking about history, something which some "newbies" (only a few years or less) here may not know about before responding, which is fine. Don't let others who lack historical context regarding the answer influence your decision to ask further questions. Its all good.

Another angle was this: a dozen or more years ago many of us here now had a terrific forum on the NWTF to talk turkey hunting - super busy site. Then, things changed at the NWTF, and the forum was dissolved. Many of us then went elsewhere on the internet where we were welcome. Fast forward a bunch of years, here we still are, but those experiences way back then contributed to shifting opinions and views.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it further, I have had that happen on a sports site as well as a computer gaming site so I can fully understand that angle.

I will keep asking questions about things I may not know and especially calls, I really like those trumpet calls and had always thought that it was just another name for a wing bone call. I really enjoy history and the history of turkey hunting and calls used mostly in years gone by really intrigue me so when I see something new to me I just have to ask.

John Koenig:

paboxcall

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 24, 2018, 08:06:12 PM

I will keep asking questions about things I may not know and especially calls...I really enjoy history and the history of turkey hunting and calls used mostly in years gone by really intrigue me so when I see something new to me I just have to ask.

Good to hear, you will fit in just fine. And every question you ask, promise there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of lurkers and new members this time of year wondering exactly the same thing. So they benefit too.

:welcomeOG:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

guesswho

You need to get a trumpet call.  They are addictive.   My neighbors and my Wife hate mine.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

paboxcall

Quote from: guesswho on February 24, 2018, 08:22:22 PM
You need to get a trumpet call.  They are addictive.   My neighbors and my Wife hate mine.

This is excellent advice. My office cube neighbors hate them too.  :lol: