OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Season Preparations  (Read 14696 times)

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Re: Season Preparations
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2018, 09:55:34 AM »
Season opens Monday. Heard a few this morning but also ran into 3 different guys listening and are aware of where those birds are at. I’m raring to go but I expect it to be tough, a lot of hunters and the timber is still wide open. I figure those birds will get bumped around a lot till it greens up. I’m also looking forward to trying out my new vest. I have been using the same vest for 15 years or so and this one is definitely a little different.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »
Season opens Monday. Heard a few this morning but also ran into 3 different guys listening and are aware of where those birds are at. I’m raring to go but I expect it to be tough, a lot of hunters and the timber is still wide open. I figure those birds will get bumped around a lot till it greens up. I’m also looking forward to trying out my new vest. I have been using the same vest for 15 years or so and this one is definitely a little different.

What vest did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »
Alps Impact, it holds a camelbak bladder. Glad I can shed the camelbak pack under my vest this year. I took my old cushion off of my Super Elite and velcroed it to the seat on on the Impact. I don’t sit a lot but when I do I like to be comfortable.

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »
Got my 835 setup with a scope...hope to get it sighted in this week sometime.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »
Got my 835 setup with a scope...hope to get it sighted in this week sometime.

Which scope?

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 06:58:44 AM »
I wanted a leupold vx1 with the turkey plea reticle but they apparently don't make them anymore so.I ended up with a Bushnell trophy with the circle x reticle. I have it mounted with medium height rings but now I'm thinking that I may have to buy some low ones instead.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
I wanted a leupold vx1 with the turkey plea reticle but they apparently don't make them anymore so.I ended up with a Bushnell trophy with the circle x reticle. I have it mounted with medium height rings but now I'm thinking that I may have to buy some low ones instead.

Very nice! I tried the Bushnell but did not care for the circle. It was a very nice scope my eye just could not adjust to it. I had the Simmons Pro-Diamond on a gun since 2011. It work really well but I decided to go back to bead this year and loved it. When I switched to tighter chokes than the improved cylinder or full I thought I had to have a sight and would shoot over the top of a bird with rifle sights almost every time. Decided to try my 11-87 to see if it would shoot bead this year and felt really silly it did. I hunted it this year and it was great.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
Been bored sitting around not being able to hunt. Went to the farm this weekend for some family events so I decided to see whether my Mossberg 500 would shoot bead like my 11-87. Took the scope off and ran a dry bore snake down it twice since the barrel had 4-5 shells down it since last cleaned. Got to 40 and squeezed one off. Dang if it did not shoot bead. I think I am having luck with bead cause I am using more open chokes in both guns, 11-87 is a .576 and 500 is a .575. So now I got two that shoots point of aim and I am a happy man, just a man that has to wait a year to shoot another turkey.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »
Alps Impact, it holds a camelbak bladder. Glad I can shed the camelbak pack under my vest this year. I took my old cushion off of my Super Elite and velcroed it to the seat on on the Impact. I don’t sit a lot but when I do I like to be comfortable.
How do you like it? Mind posting pics? I have been thinking about getting one. I'm not usually a vest guy, but this looks like it might fit the bill

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »

Just took these pics in my little honey hole. Was gonna look for sheds a bit and head back to where I’m expecting one to roost. I flushed a gobbler about 100 yards from that spot. I’m not happy about that at all.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 08:01:53 PM »
Thanks! I ordered one, I'm hoping I like it

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »
Four days to go time...they were hammering this morning at the farm I plan on hunting opening morning!!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »
Four days to go time...they were hammering this morning at the farm I plan on hunting opening morning!!!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Patiently waiting for some upstate NY gobblers.  Good luck!

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
Hitting PA state land tomorrow and then using a couple hours of vacation time for NY's Tuesday opener.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
NY is getting close!