OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi Shot Magnum Blends

Started by WW, February 09, 2018, 02:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

All this talk about TSS leaves me wondering how many will leave the mag blends for tss. For me, the mag blends pattern awesome in my 870 and I will stick with them. Guys are talking about how far the TSS can kill a turkey, but the mag blends can kill one farther than I want to shoot one. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks...

reynolds243

I won't leave them in a 12 gauge. They pattern great in my gun and pack a punch. For the money I don't care to load 12 gauge tss loads I only load 20 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

I started loading TSS in 12 gauge before I bought my 20.  I still load some every year for others but I don't plan on using my 12 for turkeys anymore.  The magblends are still great shells but you can't really compare them to TSS in my opinion...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Bigeclipse

Quote from: WW on February 09, 2018, 02:37:28 PM
All this talk about TSS leaves me wondering how many will leave the mag blends for tss. For me, the mag blends pattern awesome in my 870 and I will stick with them. Guys are talking about how far the TSS can kill a turkey, but the mag blends can kill one farther than I want to shoot one. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks...

I think the difference is with the TSS in #9s you basically will never need to buy new chokes again to find an acceptable pattern out to 40 yards in a 12 gauge where as with mag blends you do need to test. My shotgun with mag blends, gave me just over 100 pellets out at 40 yards with one choke (barely acceptable) but with a different choke gave me 130 in a 10inch circle which is more what I'm looking for. With the TSS #9s in a 3in shell you will EASILY get over 150 pellets and more likely in the 250+ pellet range.

WW

I shot the #9's for a short time and at 40 yards in my gun and choke combo, I had the same pellet count with TSS as I did the mag blends. I think it was 230 in the 10" circle..That made up my mind to stick with the blends.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: WW on February 09, 2018, 03:40:42 PM
I shot the #9's for a short time and at 40 yards in my gun and choke combo, I had the same pellet count with TSS as I did the mag blends. I think it was 230 in the 10" circle..That made up my mind to stick with the blends.

are you shooting 3.5in? In 3in 12ga, it is very rare to get over 200 in a 10in circle at 40 yards...consistently that is. I think you were just one of the lucky ones. I am not knocking the mag blends. They are a great round and out to 40 yards this is really a moot point as anything over 100 pellets and you WILL definitely have a dead bird. Fact is TSS will likely be more consistent than mag blends due to the shot itself not being deformed. I also had to check mag blends from box to box as I would get much different patterns sometimes depending on the box.

BottomLand54

I will shoot both but for 12 guage mag blends give me an awesome pattern 3" 2oz 5,6,7 out of my 11-87 far as I want to shoot a turkey they give me that hunting pattern so as far as my 11-87 goes it will have mag blends in it. May try some tss out of my benelli.

Dr Juice

I'm staying with my Magblends for my 11-87

the Ward

I have a decent stockpile of 3" magblends for my 12 gauges. Love the patterns I get with them and I'm going to keep shooting them till I run out. At that point  I probably will either buy more or switch over to the longbeards.

Gobble!

Consistency was the only reason I switched to loading my own. Patterns were always good enough to kill turkeys though.

reynolds243

Quote from: Bigeclipse on February 09, 2018, 04:17:49 PM

are you shooting 3.5in? In 3in 12ga, it is very rare to get over 200 in a 10in circle at 40 yards...consistently that is. I think you were just one of the lucky ones. I am not knocking the mag blends. They are a great round and out to 40 yards this is really a moot point as anything over 100 pellets and you WILL definitely have a dead bird. Fact is TSS will likely be more consistent than mag blends due to the shot itself not being deformed. I also had to check mag blends from box to box as I would get much different patterns sometimes depending on the box.

I have no problem going over 200 in 3" magblends

Cut N Run

I couldn't get Mag Blends to pattern consistently, so I went back to #6 or #7 Hevi Shot and gave the Mag Blends to a buddy whose gun liked them .  I don't own any reloading equipment to load TSS.  Plus, I have ~150 rounds of Hevi 6s & 7s squirreled away which should last me for many years.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: reynolds243 on February 09, 2018, 06:38:15 PM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on February 09, 2018, 04:17:49 PM

I have no problem going over 200 in 3" magblends

Well now imagine 300+ pellets with a 20ga and that is what you get with tss! With a 410 you can get 150-200+ in tss so that is a HUGE benefit for less weight and little to no recoil with just as good or even better patterns for similar price in rounds

North of 8

:z-guntootsmiley:
Hevi Shot will be making TSS soon, you can BET on that!

joey46

Quote from: North of 8 on February 14, 2018, 02:16:49 AM
:z-guntootsmiley:
Hevi Shot will be making TSS soon, you can BET on that!
A year from now everybody will have plenty. I'm finally running out of my stock of old white Hevi #6 from 2007 and started shopping around. Cabelas on line had both Magblends and straight #7s in stock with a $10 rebate. $20 max.  Getting a couple to try.