OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Clover plots and turkeys

Started by Bigeclipse, February 07, 2018, 07:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drake799

Turkeys love my clover plot. But I think ultimately every situation is different   A plot
In a good nesting area will have turkeys in it all throughout the day. Mainly hens but them gobblers will come looking at some point

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Gut_Pile on February 07, 2018, 08:58:19 PM
Disc a few strips in your plot and keep them disced throughout the season. Turkeys love dirt

A good practice

born2hunt

I dont know much about clover types but some of the orange groves I have hunted here in Fl very often have clover growing wild between the rows, or in the "middles" as we say... The root systems produce small white bulbs I believe are called root nodules. I couldnt count the gobblers I have killed with a craw full of these. Now they eat the slop out of the leaves and blooms too but they love to dig up the little bulbs. Now whether the variety you planted shares this characteristic I have no idea.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Bigeclipse

Quote from: Panhandle_strutter on February 07, 2018, 01:24:38 PM
We have 120 acres as well and had turkeys around our property but none really on it. I did some research and we planted chufas. We now consistently hold turkeys on our piece. Once the chufas matured and were ready it looked like someone had gone back through with a tractor and turned the ground under they had been spending so much time in that plot scratching around. Just a thought if you ever want to give it a try on your piece.

How large was the plot you planted? Chufa appears to be pretty expensive.

TauntoHawk

I'd see how the clover does for a year or two at increasing draw. chufa is great for birds but going to take plot space away from deer food clover will attract both

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>